Shimano SH-XC50 Shoes

The Shimano SH-X50 Shoes don't need a fancy name to impress you. In fact, instead of picking a fancy name for the shoes, Shimano engineers focused on building a rock-solid mountain bike shoe at reasonable price. Starting with a fiberglass-reinforced nylon soleplate and multi-density rubber sole, Shimano tackled the fine line between grip, stiffness, and ever-so-important durability. Sturdy synthetic leather won't let a few tumbles and scrapes destroy the shoe's integrity, while the micro-adjust buckle and two extra-large hook-and-loop straps keep things tight and responsive. When cleaning the next hill simply isn't in the cards, you'll appreciate the ability to install studs so you can at least walk comfortably up the hill.Profile grooves with variable density and soft arch support for added stability when pedalingSuitable for Shimano SPD pedals

Submitted by trailrider24 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2013

Strengths:    very comfortable
well vented
good looking (if you don't hate the stormtrooper-ish look)
quite durable on the mountain
not slippery
quite light
very stiff
with 2 socks it's good in cold
doesn't get dirty as much as people think (because it is white)

Weaknesses:    sole wears a little fast on rocks
not so durable if it meets concrete
no half sizes for perfect fit
as most of the xc shoes, it's not for walking a mile in it

Bottom Line:
I wanted to buy a Mavic Pulse at first but there wasn't any in the store where I wanted to buy, but I saw the XC50 for the same price.(€99) I read about this shoe on the net so I know it's a good shoe. It has to break in before it gets really comfortable, but it isn't uncomfortable until that. When I ride my bike I don't feel that I wear the shoe and my foot doesn't hurt when I take it off at home. Walking in it is not the best, but it's okay for like 200m. "Normal" mud drops out well, but clay mud stays in. Sole wears a little fast but I think it's because of the rocks I went over with it. Overall good shoe, capable of amateur and easier races and perfect for hobby usage. I can recommend it.

Submitted by Steve NMI

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort, Apparent durability

Weaknesses:    None Yet

Bottom Line:
I got these shoes a few weeks ago. They are my first clipless shoes and a very good purchase. I bought these online after trying on another model in a store that didnt have this model. Shimano's sizing was consistent. This model has a bit more toe box room as stated in the description apparently for additional socks. They are supposed to be an all-season model so there is very little venting. In my climate I dont end up riding in extremely hot weather often so I dont believe it will be an issue. The velcro strap are very secure and the ratchet system at the ankle is a very good feature that I would probably not do without, adjusted correctly it makes the shoe feel like part of my foot. Being my first clipless shoe I have taken a couple of spills in them with noy so much as a mark on them. They are also shaped well and flex very slightly making them comfortable enough to walk that hill that is just too much. Perfect for my application and I got a deal because it is the end of the season.

Purchased At:   online