Shimano SH-SD60 Groovasaurus Shoes

4.55/5 (11 Reviews)

Shimano SH-SD60 Groovasaurus

Submitted by Cheryel a Cross Country Rider from Missouri

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2008

Strengths:    I love my "old" Shimano sandals. I have worn them for over 10,000 miles. I have tried to find another pair and cannot. The new sandals have 3 straps and I want tan baby.

Weaknesses:    Shimano is not making the sandals with two straps anymore, shame on them. If I would have known they were going to stop, I would have stock piled them.

Bottom Line:
I want Shimano to start making the sandals with two straps again. The original ones are the best.
I have had foot surgery, and velcroed my orthotic into the sandal, and it is perfect.
I wear them in the winter with shoe covers.

Purchased At:   Bike source

Similar Products Used:   I have looked at the Lake sandals, yuck. The toe curves upward and makes me feel like I am wearing fairy slippers.

Bike Setup:   Terry Isis.

Submitted by Cindy a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2007

Strengths:    ALL STRENGTHS!! I've had these sandals for 7 years now, ridden thousands of miles, & just can't seem to find a new pair. These DO need replacing, & I can't bear the thought of summer riding in closed toed shoes!!

Weaknesses:    None for this rider!

Bottom Line:
I would reccommend these sandals for any biker who likes to feel the wind at his/her feet! They're so comfy, and I've waded in the water in them before, too! I love how recessed the cleats are --- very easy to walk anywhere!

Purchased At:   Gregg's Greenlake Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Haven't found any, or I'd certainly have them!

Bike Setup:   Mercedes Benz dual-shock mountain bike -- I've got it sort of "McGuyver'ed" into a road-style bike, as that's the kind of riding I do -- lots of long distance stuff, but always on paved or semi-paved surfaces. I'm in the process of getting a new bike right now, & would love a pair of new sandals to go with my new "ride" (a road bike for sure this time!).

Submitted by Deb a Cross Country Rider from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2005

Strengths:    It's a sandal
Cleat is recessed enough for walking

Weaknesses:    Ankle strap can cut in
Narrow fitting
Not enough padding in ball of foot

Bottom Line:
As a bike messenger I spend all day on the bike, so having air conditioned feet is a big plus. However, I found that the ankle strap cut in to my foot so I had to pad it with neoprene. Also, the anatomical shaping on the sole was not the same shape as my foot and the raised part that is supposed to fit under your toes cut in to mine and made my big toe go numb. The sole is stiff, which is good, but the front of the sole has little padding, so if you wear them all day the balls of your feet can get very sore - a problem I did not find when I wore my previous SPD shoes that came with padded insoles.

Similar Products Used:   Exus shoes

Submitted by Nicole Price a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2004

Strengths:    Everything! I have two pair. One pair has lasted with approx 3-4 rides a week (spring/summer/fall and some winter), CANADIAN riding seasons since 1996!!!! I have to look at replacing my first, original pair now as it is starting to fall apart.

Weaknesses:    The new model style, though appearing to have more foot "coverage", believe it or not, has less overall foot support in comparison to the original version. (still good though). Though never personally ever experienced it, a buddy wore his too tight (thought they wouldn't support enough) and wound up with funny looking, "fat" ankles...to be mocked by the rest of his riding buddies for years to come.......

Bottom Line:
I have never found a pair of biking shoes that are as versatile, comfortable, and long lasting, EVER! One pair that I own has approx 650 DAYS on them. The cleats are completely rusted on, and they have been abused to DEATH (i.e. these beasts, due to the fact that they are stiff, shanked have even been my footware of choice on SCRAMBLES as well as mountain biking).

I hear odd comments that one would fear smashing their feet...I have ridden teeter totters, xc trails, some downhill/freeride style trails, moab slickrock etc and NEVER, EVER, EVER have I been able to contort myself well enough to ever smack a toe or foot. EVER. (and trust me, with the amount of battle scars I have, and a nickname of "Scabby spice" they have been throroughly tested.

They are stiff, supportive, comfortable, cool, and one never has to worry about creek crossings, wet socks, wet shoes for the ride the next day, period.

Kudos shimano, this is one product though severely underrated, you have made of exceptional quality, that is not over priced.

I'd give these shoes 6 chili's if I could.

Favorite Trail:   If I told you, I'd have to kill you......

Purchased At:   Chili's in Moab

Similar Products Used:   Haven't found anything comparable, though I hear that lake does make a pair

Bike Setup:   Cannondale SuperV2000 -full xtr/hydraulic discs, and Specialized Enduro - Mostly xtr, hayes -squishy!!!

Submitted by JT from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2003

Strengths:    Comfort ... comfort ... comfort.

I have 18 months with these shoes and I absolutely love them. They're so comfortable they've replaced my Tevas. They look cool (I actually wear them on casual days), easy to put on (I used them after knee surgery because they were easier to use put on than the Tevas) and last great.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my review from a year and a half ago.

These are unbelievable. The only reason I'm replacing them is because I'm wearing through the bottoms but, after 18 months and close to 1,500 miles riding and wearing them just about every day I'm more than happy. Also, Nashbar has them onsale right now ... get 'em. You won't be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Tempe

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2003

Strengths:    comfort, durability, air conditioning, no decompression sound (shuuuunck for effect) when taking them off after a long ride

Weaknesses:    have yet to find any

Bottom Line:
These things rock for hot weather, in the Phoenix area I was actually able to increase my bicycling radius over shoes. The way the straps are designed they feel very comfortable and don't leave a crease (just an odd suntan line) I've put these things through 2000 miles of hybrid riding and they still look almost new, I've only riden a bit on true off road stuff, they worked for that too.

Similar Products Used:   have yet to find a similar product let alone use one

Bike Setup:   '01 i-drive 5.0 with many shimano related durability issues (#$*%& to mega 9)

Submitted by Matt_B a Cross Country Rider from Littleton

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    Comfort. Stiff enough for rec riding

Weaknesses:    No half sizes, but what sandles come in half sizes...

Bottom Line:
I'm a rec rider and I love these things. They are just about the best investment I have made. The only time I use 'shoes' anymore is when there is deep snow or its below 40F. I have about 800 miles on all kinds of trails, and weather, with them. I have no problem with wearing them through rock gardens, wet conditions or mountain passes. I can't say enough about them. They are stiff enough to get my big butt up any local climb, but comfortable enough that I’m not dieing when its hot out.

I did get a crack on the sole near the ball of my foot, but it is not structural damage only cosmetic.

I would recommend these sandals to anyone since I have just about thrown away my shoes. I’ve heard that Lake makes a pair of sandals but I don’t know anything about them…

Favorite Trail:   Deer Creek

Purchased At:   rei

Similar Products Used:   Performance shoes

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS

Submitted by Alan Acock a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis, OR

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2002

Strengths:    They are about as comfortable as most regular sandals for walking around. You can wear them all day. The cleat is recessed enough that you won't damage floors. They seem to be very well constructed.

Weaknesses:    My other shoe has a carbon sole and I'm use to that stiffness on the bicycle. The sandals are remarkably stiff for something you can walk around in, but no match to the carbon fibre soles. I would compare them to an entry level Shimano mountain shoe which is okay if you are not going to pound for hours and hours and hours. I'm worried how they will work on long (10 hour) touring days.

Bottom Line:
If you like life in sandals, these are probably a good investment. I have trouble with numb feet and worry how these will work on long touring days (10 hours), but they are going to be fantastic for kicking around town, shopping, working, commuting, and short rides. Those with more experience might inform me about how they work on long rides with lots of pounding.

Similar Products Used:   Looke at a sandal by Lake.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90 and Klein Quantum

Submitted by JT from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Strengths:    Comfort, easy to put on, easy to walk around in.

Weaknesses:    Me being an idiot ... I got the wrong size to begin with but with the right size it's great! Do NOT go off road with these shoes ... well, not unless you want to puncture all of the tips of your toes!

Bottom Line:
I love Tevas ... I've gone pretty much all winter in shorts, sweatshirt and my Tevas. I wanted something similar for my bike. Well, Shimano has done it with these. In fact, I've even worn these shoes in place of my Tevas because they are just about as comfortable and easier to put on. I just drove a couple of hours to get to Philly while wearing these shoes and there were no problems.

Purchased At:   www.rideabike.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Submitted by Rich Clark a Cross Country Rider from Ridley Park, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Strengths:    Cool, retro, comfy, SPD compatible sandal

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I'm not a cross-country rider. I'm a commuter, tourer, and day-tripper, and it's stupid that MTBreview won't let us ID ourselves more accurately.

I love these sandals. It's great in the summer to just snap 'em on and jump on the bike. I always make sure I'm wearing them if it might rain, so I don't worry about soaked shoes and socks. I find them quite comfortable, and frequently wear them all day.

I found that the sizing is pretty accurate; the 43/44 size fits well, and I wear size 44 Specialized Rockhopper Comp shoes.

I have no idea where that name "grooveasaurus" came from. I've never seen it anywhere else but here.

Purchased At:   Used