Shimano SH-MW81 Shoes

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Shimano SH-MW81 Winter MTB Shoe is the final word in winter protection. No need to use the pesky shoe covers that bunch up and fit poorly, the MW81 is a self-contained juggernaut against the elements.

Submitted by Nils Larsen

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2014

Strengths:    Tough construction

Weaknesses:    Difficult step-in, mid strap to short, only for Shimano pedals(adapters may be available), narrow fit

Bottom Line:
These boots look good and solid, so I bought them for winter season riding. BUT looks may deceive: These boots are NOT made for temp. below 5 deg. C even with neoprene shoecovers. I have used these for several rides this winter(2013-2014) with different sock combinations. After app. 1 h of riding the extreme waterproff materials prevents moisture dispersion and builds up a "pond" of sweat from feet and calfs and so cools down your feet to a FROSTY level.
I am surprised to see the overall positive ratings from other users and I would like to hear from other dissatisfied owners. Just to make it clear: I am normally a Shimano man and I have owned 2 pair of Shimano boots previously and I have to use one of these for the rest of the winter season to prevent frostbites.
100£ WAISTED.

Submitted by Marple200 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2012

Strengths:    Waterproof
Fit
Traction

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I was searching for a winter shoe because I often have difficulty with numb toes and my normal ride circuit includes quite a few creek crossings. My regular MTB shoes are vented and let in water, so waterproof shoes was a priority. I also wanted to stick with SPD rather than switching to platforms in the winter.
My normal shoe size is 11 and I generally need a wider shoe. I typically wear Shimano MTB shoes in size 46. After reading recommendations to buy up one size in order to wear thicker socks, I went for the size 47. The fit is perfect with plenty of width and enough room for thicker socks or two pair of thinner socks.
I took my first ride in these shoes on a 34 degree day after a bit of snow. The conditions were very wet and muddy. The shoes did as they were designed to do and kept out all water even after multiple creek crossings and standing in a mud puddle for testing.
I wore a single pair of thick socks this first ride. I can't say that my toes were toasty, but they were not numb after riding for about 2 hours. I am going to experiment with different socks to see what works best, since I have the room to do so. It was nice having room to wiggle my toes to help warm them up.
Construction is very solid. They take a bit more effort to get them on, but that is due to the Goretex ankle gauntlet that helps keep the water out. Great treads helped to climb slippery, muddy slopes and cleaned out easily. Had no problem getting clipped in.
Couldn't find my size, or most sizes, anywhere in the states, so I ordered them from Wiggle in England. Ordered them Dec. 13 and they arrived Dec. 24. Free shipping and the price was cheaper than any advertised in the US.
Overall I am very happy with my purchase.

Favorite Trail:   local

Duration Product Used:   Once so far

Purchased At:   Wiggle.co.uk

Submitted by pinnacle10 a Cross Country Rider from Redlands, CA

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2012

Strengths:    It does what it's suppose to. Comfortable and warm.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than a normal shoe, but that's expected.

Bottom Line:
I'll start by saying I live in Southern California. Sunny, 70 degree days in January are rather normal. But short days mean a lot of night riding and I've always had trouble keeping my feet warm. There have even been nights that have been reasonably nice, yet my feet still have gotten cold. I realized things were slightly better in my old casual shoes with laces - http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-and-protection/shoes/shimano/sh-mt41g/prd_419338_144crx.aspx. But those didn't really help much. So I researched and found bike companies actually make shoes for riding in cold weather. I guess that should have been obvious.

Shimano is a brand I trust so I looked at their shoes and then went to Don's Bike Shop to see if they could get them for me. Ben called the Shimano rep and I can hear him say, "Oh really, oh, ok" so then Ben tells me, "yeah, they have them, but these are full on Gortex shoes made for riding in places like Minnesota. He says he hasn't sold any in Socal in a couple of years." I tell him that's perfect, that's what I want. So a few days go by and the shoes come in.

It was unseasonably warm for the first few weeks I had them so I didn't get to test them initially. Finally the weather cooled and I've been using them off and on now for about 3 months. They have been everything I could have wanted. On nights when I normally would have gotten cold and numb feet, my feet were fine. Didn't even notice the cold. I've even worn them in 70 degree weather and my feet did not get too warm.

Last night was the first real test. Temps dropped and according to my Garmin it got down to 41 degrees on my ride. Most people will probably laugh when I call that cold, but that's about as cold as it gets in Socal and it's a temperature that would normally give me some real foot problems with numbness. With normal socks on these shoes protected my feet and kept them feeling normal.

I have yet to use these in water to see how waterproof they are, but I imagine they're at least better than any other shoe I have. This was money well spent and I'm grateful to have found them. It's especially nice knowing they won't make my feet too hot so if I take off on a cold morning I don't have to worry about things heating up and my feet getting too hot.

Favorite Trail:   SART

Purchased At:   Don's Bike Shop

Submitted by mtb0187 a Cross Country Rider from Jackson, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2012

Strengths:    The shoes fit well, like a cycling shoe should and not some big clunky boot like others out there. I have tested these shoes down to 0 degrees so far and my feet were nice and warm with only a thin pair of Twin Six socks. I have also tested them in really sloppy and snowy conditions and my feet have stayed dry.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any weaknesses with this shoe yet. The only problem area for me is the neoprene on the inside of the boot. This does an excellent job of keeping your feet warm and dry. However; I have a neoprene allergy and cannot wear the shoe without a thicker sock now like a Smartwool brand.

Bottom Line:
Excellent overall shoe for winter riding. I would highly recommend these to anyone who suffers from cold feet in winter conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Custer