Shimano SH-MW80 Womens Shoes

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Equipment-the flexible, but stretch-resistant, high cut upper part made of synthetic leather covers the ankle in order to protect against shocks and dirt. The PU coated neoprene cuff is closable via a broad velcro and seals against wetness. The insulating, waterproof and breathable GORE-TEX DURATHERM lining provides excellent comfort and keeps your feet warm. Welded seams. Reflectors at the sides and at the back for better visibility.

Submitted by Chad a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2010

Strengths:    Stout build/Nice looks/Great fit

Weaknesses:    Not sure yet/N/A?

Bottom Line:
I am a full-time bike commuter recently relocated to Alexandria, VA, from Tucson, AZ. As the weather is much colder and wetter I purchased the Shimano winter cycling shoe (mens version of course). I have only used these shoes a few times. They are a great fit out of the box. I have a size 47 which are the same as my regul2ar cycling shoes (Shimano). I wore a large wool cycling sock and my feet got a little ... numbish on a hour long ride at about 29 degrees. I loosened the velcro straps and that seemed to alleviate the problem. I also wore a slightly thinner wool sock. I deduced that no matter how great the shoe, if I pull the straps too tight, blood circulation is minimized and cold feet result. The shoes have a great sole and I am confident that they will work well in snow and other places inclement surfaces exist. The sole is less stiff than my regular shimano mntn shoes -maybe because they are winter shoes were flexibility in walking is necessary???? I could possibly go a size higher (48) but then pedaling likely becomes sloppy and "unfun." Hope this review helps.

Purchased At:   Winter Cycling Shoes

Bike Setup:   Gunnar CrossHairs, handbuilt wheels with ultegra hubs, ultegra components.

Submitted by rooftop77 a Cross Country Rider from Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2010

Strengths:    Rigid sole, hard rubber cleats give good traction on snow and somewhat on ice. Comfy fit

Weaknesses:    Long breakin period. I also wish the anke wrap come up higher. I have yet to find a winter boot that has a high ankle wrap.

Bottom Line:
Before I start I would just like to say that I am a woose and my feet get cold easily in my old age. These shoes make winter riding much more bearable. When I first tried these shoes the upper strap was digging into my ankle. After many hours of breaking them in this problem is gone and the shoe feels great. I have riden them down to 12 degrees F without booties and keep warm feet. My ride is only about 55 min. I have riden in temps at 5 degrees and found that I need booties to keep warm for the duration of my ride. In all temps, booties or not my upper ankle gets sweaty(be it good or bad it has not effected the warmth of my foot). I like the velcro straps on these shoes, they are very strong. They don't feel that they will stretch or tear over time. I have not tested them in wet conditios to see how well they repel water. I commute in an area that lays down salt in bad weather and don't want to subjest the shoes to the chemicals. That salt kills my bike parts, I would hate to see what it would do to my shoes.
These shoes have a large toe box to accomadate chemical warmers if you're into that. I like it because my toes can wiggle and breath. They also might not be the best shoe for skinny feet. my feet are not wide, but they're not skinny either and they fit wonderfully. I pruchased one size big to accomadate extra socks and will buy the next size smaller to wear in the transition weather with les socks. I LOVE THESE SHOES!!!!

Overall they are a very well built shoe and feel like a shoe, not a boot. I don't think that they are that heavy compared to the other winter shoes. If you're looking for a warm well thought out winter shoe, then buy these. They are worth every penny.

Purchased At:   wiggleuk.com