Shimano SH-MT41G Shoes

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)

• EVA midsole and new rubber sole/enhances pedaling efficiency
  • Recessed cleat design/allows for easier walking
  • Easily removable sole plate/make cleat installation simple

Submitted by mrwheelie19 a Weekend Warrior from Oceanside, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2011

Strengths:    Good looks, very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    A bit on the heavy side. Toe box is maybe a bit too generous.

Bottom Line:
Although a long-time rider, I've always been leery of being "clipped-in". Not being able to get my feet where I want them WHEN I want them if the SHTF is scary to me. However, I felt it was time to put aside my "old dog" ways and try to learn a new trick. I bought these shoes on ebay for $15.00 (didn't want to spend too much on an experiment). They were used, but in such good condition it was hard to tell. Also for my experiment I bought some cheapy Wellgo SPD/platform pedals. I must say that I've been missing out. Riding with SPD's is wonderful. The "learning curve" is very shallow...a few short rides for a few short miles each and SPD's can become second nature. I love this shoe and am very glad I chose it for my "learners" shoe. As stated above, the shoe was used a couple of times but in out-of-the-box condition. However, the very first time I went to lace them up, one of the "loop-type" eyelets that the the laces go through ripped right away from the shoe. The shoe still works just fine, but it tore away so easily...I found that to be a real bummer. Of course this invited closer examination of the shoe which I found to be well constructed in all other aspects. They really should use double-stitching or stronger thread on those eyelets. But in the end, this is a GREAT beginners shoe.

Bike Setup:   1997 Klein Mantra Comp (oldy but goody). All stock except for Syncros headset and stem, Avenir bars and bar-ends, cheapy Wellgo SPD/platform pedals.

Submitted by akmal a Cross Country Rider from Pasir Gudang, Johor, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2010

Strengths:    Versatile, can be used for offroad, and for commuting to work. Comfortable with wide toebox. Quiet on cement and smooth floors, although cleats would make a bit noisy on tarmac. Does not look racy, it can be worn in the office during dress down day and to the mall. I could also drive the car with in it with not much problem. Airy.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy. Heel is a bit loose. Shoes would come off when I have a crash, although already unclicked from the pedal.

Bottom Line:
Perfect for my on road Ride To Work (RTW) commuting, and weekend offroad cross country outings.
Easy to clean and dry.
Looks nice, more to hiking shoes than cycling shoes. Would be nicer if the heels are not loosey.

Favorite Trail:   Plentong

Purchased At:   Rodalink, Bangsar

Similar Products Used:   my first SPDs.

Bike Setup:   EPX Hollowpoint hardtail with Shimano XT pedals.

Submitted by Shmoo a Cross Country Rider from Virginia

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2009

Strengths:    Breathability, comfort, quality. Does what it's supposed to.

Weaknesses:    Weight! and the price. Clips slipped out of place a couple of times.

Bottom Line:
I bought these specifically for my trip to Japan. So I was in the market for a do-it-all shoe, so I didn't have to take any other shoes with me. These were fine for walking around (airports, train stations, in the woods). But for riding, these are considerably heavy. They are nice and stiff, so they do their job.

I would purchase these if you were in the same boat as me. Otherwise, I'd say these are way too heavy to use on a daily basis.

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   Nike YVR III

Bike Setup:   08 Fisher Big Sur

Submitted by drz400sm a Weekend Warrior from San DIego, CA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2009

Strengths:    comfortable, price, looks like a normal shoe

Weaknesses:    they will stretch out a bit

Bottom Line:
I have only worn these shoes a handful of times but seem very well made. These are the first clip in shoes ive ever purchased. I really like how they feel and look more like a low top hiking shoe. The few times ive worn them ive completely submerged them in water and hiked through a bit of mud. They dry out pretty quick, about 24 hours. Even though ive only worn them a few times i can feel that they will stretch out a little bit, try on a few different sizes. The velcro stap is a needed feature. All in all for a first pair of shoes like this im very satisfied.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Warehouse

Similar Products Used:   tried on other style shoes at store

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X , thomson stem and seatpost, monkylite bars

Submitted by babu a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2008

Strengths:    Non-slippery sole, good for the hike-a-bike sections of the trail, good ventilation.

Weaknesses:    After they break in they tend to become too loose.

Bottom Line:
For the price they are a good enough entry-level SPD shoe, but I would not recommend them. Pay more and get something better. The first few rides with them they seemed fine, but after a while they became loose, requiring often tightening while on the trail. Another problem is the laces...they are rounded and no matter how hard you tighten them, they still become loose. There is a constant play of the foot inside the shoe. they do breathe well, and if they get wet they dry fast enough. In rode them in cold weather without booties and my feet froze (too much ventilation for cold weather), so consider that as well if you decide to get them. On the other hand they're a good product if you're new to clipless. The velcro strap helps a lot, without it they would really suck.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA