Shimano SH-MT23 Shoes

Shimano SH-MT23 Shoe is an excellent walking shoe with a casual fit for mile after mile of hassle-free cycling. High ventilation mesh keeps your feet happy. Fiberglass reinforced midsole to achieve optimal sole stiffness. Rubber sole for activities other

Submitted by SgtBaxter

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Strengths:    Good looking, easy to walk in, very comfortable, mesh construction dries very quickly if you ride in wet/muddy trails with water. Strap to hold laces in place. True to sizing!

Weaknesses:    Sole probably not as stiff as some would like. Laces, if you don't like laces. Cold for winter riding due to mesh construction.

Bottom Line:
Bought these shoes mainly due to the mesh construction, and the lower price (I got them for $60 on sale off Amazon). I like the shoes, and actually prefer laced shoes. These come with a nice strap on the tongue that holds the laces in place so they won't get caught up in mechanicals.

They look good, are very comfortable and the sole flexes a little for easy walking when off the bike. For steep hills that you have to dismount and huff up, they provide nice grip (far better than my 5.10's when I ride my flats). They do clog up pretty quickly with mud and snow around the cleats though. A few times I've had to find a stick and clear out the mud to clip in.

The shoes ventilate like crazy, so this winter I've been wearing toe covers along with some nice thick socks. Haven't had any issues on hour or longer rides so far.

Can't really comment about durability yet, but they seem very well constructed so I don't expect any issues. They are mesh as I mentioned, and I often ride across rivers where my feet are submerged, and these shoes evacuate the water and dry quickly between rides.