Shimano SH-M230 Shoes

2.8/5 (5 Reviews)

The idea ofThe M Series isTo provide serious MTB enthusiasts withThe efficiency, fit, stability and durability necessary forTheir individual style of high-level off-road performance. Heat-moldable Custom-FitTechnology: aShimano innovation Custom-FitTechnology in heel cup stabilizesThe foot Custom-FitTechnology inThe insole for support & comfort Carbon fiber reinforced polyamide midsole and dual injection flexible polyamide-polyurethane outer soleTransfers your energy straightToT

Submitted by light3monkey a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2014

Strengths:    fit is good and performance is fine

Weaknesses:    cheap plastic buckle!!

Bottom Line:
I liked the fit and its function. Toe box is wider than my new Giro Gauge. However, buckle is made from cheap thin plastic.

In all fairness, I did buy them in 2011 before a plastic piece snapped off in 2014. I was more careful with its buckle than any other shoes that I have because it felt so cheap. This is the only Shimano product I am displeased with.

My road bike shoe, which is a house brand from Performance I bought in 2009, has more quality feel to its buckle. Come on Shimano, your top tier product is less reliable than a Performance house brand?

Favorite Trail:   any trail near my house

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   Chainlove

Similar Products Used:   Giro Gauge

Bike Setup:   Lynskey 650B Ridgeline with XT stuff, Stan's Arch with Hope Hubs

Submitted by Raymo853 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable (for me)
Come in 0.5 sizes (44.5, 45, 45.5, ...)

Weaknesses:    Heavy
Ratchet buckle fragile

Bottom Line:
I have been using these shoes for 3 years. I love them. The most comfortable MTB shoes I have had for ages. After two years I broke one of the ratchets used to tighten the strap. I have continued to use the shoes. Now the other has broken. Sad, but ok for such long service and since they are replaceable.

Submitted by Entrenador a Weekend Warrior from oakland

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2011

Strengths:    lightweight, good fit, adjustable straps

Weaknesses:    buckles break easily

Bottom Line:
These shoes did not last as long as my M181 & M182 shoes did. I went with these m230 because the earlier m225 was said to be a good shoe. The heat molding fitting system doesn't seem to exist; I called around and none of my local shops provided the heat fit service. The adjustable straps provided a great fit, but the buckles were made of thin plastic instead of metal, and they cracked very easily. After just over a year of use, all of the protective panel patches are peeling off.
If you can get some better buckles, this shoe is adequate. If you can find an earlier set of their shoes, you'll probably be better off.

Favorite Trail:   skinny ones

Purchased At:   Sea Otter

Similar Products Used:   Shimano shm181, shm182 both were excellent

Bike Setup:   XC type bikes

Submitted by ronbo613 a Cross Country Rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2011

Strengths:    Nice looking shoes

Weaknesses:    Chronic buckle failure

Bottom Line:
These shoes have buckles that are totally defective. One of the buckles broke the first time I tried on the shoes. RMA'd the shoes, they were returned with new buckles. The new buckle failed after three easy road bike rides.
I bought these shoes based on my trusty M182's, the M230's are a total fail, especially at this price point.

Favorite Trail:   That one over there

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M182. Bombproof, durable shoes.

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X2

Submitted by Jacques Pienaar a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile, SA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, durable and grip in all types of conditions.

Weaknesses:    The ratchet device seems a little weak and for the price you'd expect something a little stronger although nothing has broken yet

Bottom Line:
Had to upgrade as my previous pair of Shimano's served their purpose to the full and invested in a pair of M230 C's. Besides the ratchet device these shoes are really great. Light weight, durable and of course the heat treated shoe molded to fit the foot like a glove is a great initiative and personalize the bond with the shoe and bike, confidence inspiring, loving it.

Favorite Trail:   Hacienda Las Varras

Purchased At:   Belda Cycles USA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M180 (Had these for just short of 3 years - Best thing ever and I hope the M230's serves me well too)

Bike Setup:   09' Norco Fluid LT2