Shimano SH-M220 Shoes

4.52/5 (23 Reviews)

• Carbon fiber and fiberglass composite sole
  • Three velcro straps, toe spikes, neoprene-padded tongue, SPD® compatible
  • Deep blue synthetic leather with black mesh

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Graham Curkendall a Weekend Warrior from Bothell, WA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff, breathe well, light weight

Weaknesses:    Bad velcro, insole

Bottom Line:
    I've been pretty happy with these shoes. They've been durable, and they dry pretty quickly, my two main criteria for good cycling shoes. However, after a year or so the velcro on the straps has started to lose it's grip so that a strap occasionally comes loose while i'm riding. Also, the insole that comes with the shoe isn't the best in my opinion. It's pretty flat, and sometimes on all-day rides my feet start to go numb. It's not usually an issue on short rides though. I think that shimano went in the right direction when they put a ratcheting strap on the M221s. They'll probably be my next shoes.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M210

Submitted by bob a Racer from cali

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2002

Strengths:    carbon

Weaknesses:    weak straps

Bottom Line:
    amazing shoe light stiff and comfortable its to bad about the straps

Purchased At:   cove bikes

Similar Products Used:   sidi

Bike Setup:   xc team race bike

Submitted by Chris Wilson a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Strengths:    Incredibly stiff sole, Very light weight, great ventilation, secure closure, durable heel and toe scuff pads, Toe spikes, Pimpy colour, Pimp value of carbon soles.

Weaknesses:    The sole is not the grippiest thing I've ever come across. The toe spikes would be nice a little further forward and slightly bigger. Although well ventilated, they let water and cold in. Good job I use thick waterproof socks.

Bottom Line:
    I love these shoes. I have always loved these shoes. I am just annoyed that I have to replace them.

2 years is a good innings for a pair of my shoes. The last ones managed about 9 months.

Only problem is now that they are starting to give up on the stitching at the back of the shoe, meaning that the heel scuff pad is coming off.

Overall, these shoes are great for racers, but also people that want a no-fuss, stiff, lightweight shoe.

Purchased At:   Summit Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano's (numerous), Northwave, Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Um... Well the pedals are 858's.

Submitted by Philip a Racer from LA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
    Since this is a site about opinions, allow me to share mine. I am another dude that grabbed these from pricepoint due to the great reviews and price. I tried them on and found the fit acceptable, but not snug (I did buy the right size). I found it hard to pull the velcro straps tight enough to get a great fit. I was about to take them for the first ride and then I tried on the Sidi Dominator 4's at the local bike shop. In my humble opinion, the SIDI's fit like a latex glove while the shimanos are a isotoner. Again, I havent ridden them, but I will be returning them and putting down an extra $60 or so for the SIDI's. The SIDI's just felt felt like part of my foot. Maybe its the italians, but what can I say, I wasnt sold. For the price though, its a great deal. I am just ready to pay whatever it takes to get the perfect shoe.

(Dont bag on me, I admit that I never used them on a bike, but I think that I can tell a lot by strapping them on).

Ride Angry.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Montreal

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2002

Strengths:    Comfort, breathability and adjustability.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    Very comfortable right from the start. Stiff sole for great energy transfer. Best with narrow feet. Adjustments work great with the 3 straps, after the first ten minutes or so just snug them up a bit and your off. After a ride I would always take my shoes off ASAP, but not with these. Feet stay drier and mine pump out a lot of water that normally doesn't make it out of other shoes, no problem with the 220's. Light and comfortable is the key to great shoes and the stiffness is a bonus. Grab 'em at this price and maybe an extra pair for the future.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale 801

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V 700 and Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

Submitted by Glenn a Racer from Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff, Comfy

Bottom Line:
    This is a great shoe. It has a very stiff sole and is a very comfortable shoe. It does run a tad big (I have a size 10 street shoe and wear a 9 in this shoe). I get some heel slippage when I walk in them, but none whatsoever when Im biking and thats what counts. Those straps keep you locked right in. Believe me these shoes are rock solid on your feet

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Submitted by chad mcdaniel a Weekend Warrior from o-town

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2002

Strengths:    carbonfiber soles,sturdy and great looking.

Bottom Line:
    the shoes are great and lite....

Favorite Trail:   snow hill

Purchased At:   daves bike world

Similar Products Used:   specialized

Bike Setup:   giant

Submitted by david padavic a Cross Country Rider from springfield

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Strengths:    stiff sole, very wide, blue, carbon, toe spike,

Weaknesses:    metal on straps is beginning to rust

Bottom Line:
    It is a good shoe for the money. Maybe we should all learn how a shoe is supposed to fit before complaining about heel slippage. I guess not all bike shops are willing to carry every shoe in every company but it is the inevitable that the lbs's are going to have to suck up and put a little more money into inventory instead of concentrating on what kind of margin they are going to get at the end of the month. Come on and they wonder why supergo and nashbar are making so much money. it is calle inventory.

Favorite Trail:   lake trails

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   nike, diadora

Bike Setup:   pre-walmart mongoose, xtr shifter,xtr wheelset,thompson

Submitted by dale a Cross Country Rider from santa cruz

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Strengths:    this shoe is very stiff great transfer of power

Weaknesses:    because its so stiff it can cause a little heel lift when you are climbing

Bottom Line:
    you can get this shoe at a great price right now but even at full retail its a great shoe

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   performance/specialized

Bike Setup:   specialized m4 xtr

Submitted by Tom a Racer from Nevada

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Strengths:    Light, stiff, comfy...what else?

Weaknesses:    Not the most durable shoes on the market.

Bottom Line:
    Shimano doesn't call these "Top of the Line", but at this year's Worlds both Men's(Green) and Women's(Dunlap) winners had these same shoes on their feet! You are not a better rider than they are, and they choose these shoes! I have seen them online for $80. If you are looking for a racing shoe get these now!

Similar Products Used:   Lots!!!

Bike Setup:   Hardtail Baby!!!

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, comfortable, perfect fit, great for road riding too, good value for $90.

Weaknesses:    Not the best shoe off the bike because of the stiffness.

Bottom Line:
    Everybody has different feet, but for me this is the most comfortable cycling shoe I've worn. Recently rode a 24 hour race in them - the only part of my body that didn't ache afterwards were my feet. Carbon sole is stiff and delivers the most power to the drivetrain - I could feel the difference in pedaling efficiency between the 220s and my Axos. The strapping system is the best I've used - though it'd be nice to have a ratchet for the top strap. I was looking for a dual-purpose shoe for road and off-road riding - I have found it. Seems to be very durable as well. If you can find a more comfortable, stiffer shoe for $90, buy it!

Similar Products Used:   Axo Summit, Cannondale C-Sole, Specialized Sport

Bike Setup:   Time ATACs on both MTB & Road Bike

Submitted by Patrick Clark a Cross Country Rider from Campbell, CA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Strengths:    Cool Looks, Stiff Sole, Lightweight

Weaknesses:    No heel grab, Price, If you have to "hike a bike" you are better off barefoot!

Bottom Line:
    I wish I had spent the extra $40 and bought Sidi's. I am very dissapointed. I cinch the velcro straps down to the point of circulation pain and still my heel lifts on every pedal stroke. Forget trying to walk in these things. They took a road shoe and tried to make it a mountain bike shoe. For me and my type of riding it just doesn't work.

Favorite Trail:   Not Telling!

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Northwave

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR XC XTR, KING, MAVIC, THOMPSON You get the Idea!?

Submitted by SPD RIDER a Cross Country Rider from Florida

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff excellent power transfer to the cranks.

Weaknesses:    Slippery on smooth surfaces. Rock resistance is not best in class.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent power transfer, comparable to a good road shoe. If you portage your bike often then consider that it does not flex and makes scurrying over rough terrain dicey. Good ventilation. On the bike attached to the pedals this is the best shoe I have worn in terms of efficiency. I am using these with Shimano 858 pedals and the combination works well. Roomy toe box, triple strap keeps the upper snug. Easy to clean with the hose. This shoe is designed for stiffness and it works as intended.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Nike nguba, Sidi Action

Bike Setup:   Y-22 custom build

Submitted by A.C. a Cross Country Rider from Mpls,MN

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2001

Strengths:    - Very stiff sole,great power transfer
    - Light
    - Synthetic "pleatha" for long life and resiliance after getting wet and muddy,easy to clean
    - Good ventilation
    - Good traction on dirt and over roots

Weaknesses:    -Don't wear 'em on tile floors, spikes 'll scratch

Bottom Line:
    Great shoes,stiff,light,breathable,good traction&easy to clean. Velcro straps keep things reliably snug. Short term durability is good,need to wait a couple years for long term results. Last set of Shimano mtn shoes lasted 7yrs. The power transfer on these babys is like a set of premium road shoes! The toebox area is a little wider than Shimano offerings in the past,pretty comfortable all around shoe,that I can spend 3-4 hrs without a second thought. Sizing runs a tad on the large side. After a long muddy ride they look like new after a blast of the garden hose, or scrubbing in the basement sink. I give 'em 5 flames overall, and 5 for value assuming they last a few years.