Shimano SH-M162 Shoes

3.33/5 (6 Reviews)

A tough synthetic leather upper complete with low-profile armor give the Shimano M161G Mountain bike shoe the strength needed for off-road madness. When you find yourself slogging over the unrideable, a roomy Volume+ last, aggressive traction lugs, and flexible mid-sole gets the job done without torturing your dogs.

Submitted by Matthew a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2015

Strengths:    - Secure on foot
- Stable
- Great push pull movement
- Solid grip when / if have to get off bike and hike up hill

Weaknesses:    The bucket ratchet appears to be an inferior plastic.

Bottom Line:
The M162 are my second pair of MTB shoes. First ones were some hand me downs from my cousin who bought some that were a little too small for him and were a house brand from a local shop. They broke and found the M162 on sale at a reasonable price.

That being said, I have very little to compare the M162 to. However, they feel solid, secure, give good up down push pull motion, are very comfortable, can walk uphill, and have decent grip. I have used them approx 20 times since I purchased them with no issues as of yet. I have noticed they have gotten a little bigger over those 20 rides but tightening the buckle and the velcro solved this.

Review might change in the future based on longevity of product and experience with other products. Thus far 5 out of 5

Favorite Trail:   Peter's Canyon - Orange, CA

Duration Product Used:   20 hours

Purchased At:   price point

Bike Setup:   Access hard tail frame, XTR rapid fire, XTR front and rear derailers, etc etc. Good solid light big perfect for xc riding

Submitted by Eggy

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2014

Strengths:    Comfortable, love the buckle, rubber soles grip well

Weaknesses:    Rubber soles crack/separate

Bottom Line:
That grip comes at a price, noticed a large crack in the the sole right near the cleat after 3-4 months of use. Had that pair warrantied, went for one ride on the new pair, same exact crack! I also ride in the SW desert, it's a harsh environment, but c'mon, they should last longer than one ride. Worked through my LBS to get it warrantied, though I didn't purchase through them, so hopefully they are cool with an encore.

Submitted by FNG RIDER

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2014

Strengths:    Fit and comfort, looks, I love the white version.

Weaknesses:    not front cleats,

Bottom Line:
I am using these on my Wilier Izoard road bike. I swapped out the Speedplay Zero Ti pedals for Origin 8 spds and swapped the Sidi Carbon Pros for M162, Wow what a huge difference, I have more power all around. much more pull up power and spin up. Pulling bigger gears at faster speed on climbs. The Sidi carbon sole slipped twice during entry attempt. pedal whacked my shin, second time I decided time for a change. My bike is now a beast. 25% faster, that may be conservative; ) 2nd ride today, I raced a Ford SUV for about 300 feet we were dead even. I was trying to cut him off to hog the lane. Almost had him; ) It had to be the shoes! and the pedals!

Submitted by brad

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2014

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    many

Bottom Line:
bought 162s because i had 161s for 5 years and loved them...still bullet proof but too small. the 162s have fabric where they rub against my crank-arm. after 3 months only, the fabric has a hole as big as my thumb...on the 161s they have syn leather in that panel-no wear. also toe protectors are pulling apart...on the old shoes-no issues. if it aint broke shimano, dont fix it...garbage.

Submitted by MTB Pilot a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2012

Strengths:    Light, airy and cool, great traction and good protection.

Weaknesses:    Rubber on the sole is not very durable.

Bottom Line:
Overall great shoe EXCEPT that the rubber on the sole is not very durable. I'm having to warranty my 2nd pair in 8 months because the rubber sole is cracking and tearing away from the shoe on the front around the cleat holes. Not just little cracks, big ones all the way across from the screws and the sole is hanging on by a little bit of rubber. I do ride harsh terrain in the desert SW with lots harsh rock, but you can't call it a mountain shoe is it can't last more than 4 months in this terrain.

Purchased At:   My LBS

Submitted by thomas chester a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    fit comfort style

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
these were my first pair of serious bike shoes,all my others were the type that have laces and look like sneakers.right away I felt more power going to the pedals.the two straps and ratcheting buckle hold your feet tight while still being comfortable the mesh panels let lots of air in to keep your feet from getting too hot and sweaty ,but will probably make booties a must for the winter.their also comfortable to walk around in.the colors white black with a brown lining,make them stylish while avoiding the wanna be racer look.I use them with shimano xt pedals and I can click in and out without even thinking about it.overall a great shoe and I would buy them again.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   found on ebay new

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!