Shimano SH-M121G Shoes

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

• Aggressive rubber tread
  • Higth positioned top strap
  • Expert level off road designed
  • Polyurethane-coated synthetic leather

Submitted by Mutantclover a Cross Country Rider from Idaho

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2008

Strengths:    Comfy on my completely ordinary and typically trouble-free feet. Good for hike a bike situations. In fact once you wear them in you could definitely wear them around town. Moderate stiffness perfect for trail riding. No sign of wearing out at all yet---seem built as well as Adidas SS2G's, my gold standard of durability. 100% Velcro closure (see explanation below). Light weight for what they are.

Weaknesses:    I noticed the updated model, SH-M122B, have better styling. These look alright though. To me as long as the look isn't over-the-top, I don't care.

Also if I were racing I would go for a stiffer sole to get max power transfer. That's a compromise for other qualities more than a weakness.

Bottom Line:
I use them with Candy C's, and they seem to mate perfectly with those pedals--no clearance issues, no shims, no shaving the rubber. Clip in and float took 3 or 4 rides to reach its prime, but has stayed prime ever since.

As for the velcro: My road shoes have the ratchet on the top part, and it works well, because they are stiff, snug shoes made to walk minimally in. However, on shoes like these that have more padding than road shoes, and have medium stiffness, I think they can easily be secured with velcro because I would desribe the fit as lightly "padded" rather than "snug."

Very glad I bought these shoes and will be back to shimano with the next pair I buy.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   specialized road shoes with Time ATACs, tennis shoes with flatpedals. Both are different animals.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail, candy C's

Submitted by Merse a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2008

Strengths:    Comfortable, durable, good traction ,stiff soles, all velcro fastening

Weaknesses:    Cleats stick out a bit, price

Bottom Line:
These are all-in-all a great pair of shoes, and I highly recommend them. The shoes themselves are really durable and high-quality, and have taken me through a lot of singletrack without anything happening to them. The sole pattern is pretty aggressive and provides excellent traction when hiking or carrying the bike up a hill. The velcro fastening system is really nice and holds you foot in place without any pain or discomfort during long rides. However, the cleats stick out too much to really walk around on-road comfortably, and the price is a bit expensive, especially if you are a beginner looking to just try clipless shoes, there are some better-priced ones out there for beginners, but as far as quality and comfort comes, these are excellent!

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale X-Trail,Cannondale Roam, Nike

Bike Setup:   08 C-Dale F3 w/ Lefty, XO, WTB

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2007

Strengths:    comfortable. Good traction with rubber sole (not hard plastic), reasonable for hike a bike

Weaknesses:    the loops are on top of the arch, instead of the inboard side. Tightening the straps only compresses your feet from the side, doesn't hold your foot DOWN against the sole - loss of pedaling efficiency and control

Bottom Line:
design flaw. comfortable.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   most shimano shoes, because they fit my wide feet so well.

Bike Setup:   knobbies, etc.

Submitted by Carl DeVincent a Cross Country Rider from Peabody, MA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Strengths:    They are comfortable and I really like the Velcro, it makes getting them on and off easy. They are also relatively light.

Weaknesses:    Stiff bottom rubber that makes walking in them a little awkward.

Bottom Line:
Well... as the bottoms are quite stiff both of the soles on mine have split wide open. I've had these things for less than a season which is a bit disappointing. For now they are being held together with super glue but I have no idea how long thats going to last. Honestly I'm just curious to know if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Favorite Trail:   Harold Parker

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   2004 Jamis XLT 2.0

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from So.Cal.....USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2007

Strengths:    Comfort & easy on & easy off

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
The shoes were comfortable from the start......Im not a big fan of the color scheme w/ the silver stripe.....After I purchased I thought that I should have chosen an all black shoe w/ the ratchet style upper buckle vs a top velcro style, but all in all the shoes work well & I dont feel them on the ride (no pinches or pain)....Regards......Joe

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Answer shoes

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR SJ

Submitted by Alan Meyer a Weekend Warrior from Anaheim Hills, CA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2007

Strengths:    + Comfortable fit
+ Velcro only (strong and no laces to worry about)
+ Durable
+ Can use for walking/hiking (limited amount)
+ Look great

Weaknesses:    - Cost (less expensive models are out there)

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that these shoes are great, and I highly recommend them. They are a step up in quality from the low-end shoes that are out there. They fit great. As an aside, the velcro-only thing worried me before I tried them on. However, it turns out that the velcro straps are very wide and very strong. I can easily over-tighten the shoes and I don't have any concern about the velcro at all. Compared to my old Shimano shoes that used laces plus 1 velcro strap (to protect the laces), I find it so much faster to get the shoes on/off (especially off, where at the end of the ride I can never get the shoes off fast enough!).

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Peak / Chumash, Simi Valley, CA

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SH-M200

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC with Crank Bros Candy SL pedals

Submitted by Jovan Puyo a Cross Country Rider from Quezon City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2007

Strengths:    The instant I tried it on, it felt really comfortable compared to my old Shimano SH-M220 carbon-soled MTB race shoes. I guess it's because it has a rubber sole and the sole pattern is more aggresive than my previous shoes. Coming from a three velco strap model, I also love that fact that Shimano made the staps wider. It made the shoe feel more secure and snug.

I have yet to see how long these shoes will last but judging from my experience in Shimano mountain bike shoes, I'm betting it's going to be a pretty long time.

Weaknesses:    There are no "fangs"/screw-on cleats upfront. This may be an issue for walking your bike up a muddy climb.

Bottom Line:
- Great fit
- Comfortable
- Good Grip
- More secure straps
- No fangs

Favorite Trail:   La Mesa Nature Reserve

Purchased At:   Cristy's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   first and second generation Shimano mountain bike shoes (yes, this is the gray version with two straps and the black and orange shoes with two straps and laces inside), Sidi Eagles, Answer, Shimano SH-M220.

Bike Setup:   Cross country - KHS Alite frame with old school Marzocchi Z.2 Bam, Shimano XT/XTR components (with flight deck cyclocomputer), Crank Brothers Eggbeater Pedals, Shimano wheelset (the funky but flexy spoke pattern), Flat bar with Onza Ti bar ends.

Submitted by dropthehammer a Weekend Warrior from Butler, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2006

Strengths:    they're available in size 50...

Weaknesses:    Not available in EE width. Sole rubber is pretty hard.

Bottom Line:
Was looking for an entry level priced spd shoe to fit my clydesdale feet. This one was priced right and available on nashbar, and looked to fit the bill. Rode with them over the summer, no signinificant complaints other than I should have held out for a wider shoe. Sole rubber could be a little softer, but they seem to grip well enough.

Favorite Trail:   Moraine MTB trail