Shimano SH-M120 Shoes

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

This off-road sport performance shoe from Shimano delivers expert level features at a sporty price.

Submitted by Dave Fisher a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2004

Strengths:    Great entry-level shoe. Not cheap, but not expensive compared to the field. Rides comfortably, well ventilated. I dig the understated looks also. Really easy to set up and go.

Weaknesses:    Velcro doesn't seem like it will hold up, but so far it's held the shoes on tight and I don't have any complaints. We'll see how it is in a year. The shoes are a little wide, but fit me better than some other shoes I tried on despite my narrow feet.

Bottom Line:
I bought these shoes as my first foray into clipless pedals, and so far I have no complaints. The reason I got them at REI was I wasn't sure how they would fit over time - the shoes are a little wide and I have narrow feet. To my pleasant surprise, they've only gotten better as they've broken in. I love the efficiancy, control and power of clipless, and these kicks are a good interface between pedal and leg. The cleats work flawlessly with my shimano m-520 pedals. And as an added bonus, they're pretty comfortable to walk around in.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   First clipless.

Bike Setup:   2004 specialized stumpjumper comp HT

Submitted by They Call me Burnsie a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2004

Strengths:    Stealthy, stiff, good price, easy to set up cleats, very comfortable. Velcro works great. Seem tough.

Weaknesses:    Nary a thing, young master.

Bottom Line:
SWEET! Clipless is the way to go. These shoes are low-profile, great if you don't want to look like a nerd. The price is right. For what they are, they're waaay overpriced, but all bike shoes are. Seem very tough. I cannot emphasize enough the huge improvement clipless is. I've been using it for about an hour and it is mind-boggling. Do yourself a favor and buy a set.

Favorite Trail:   CHUBB

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Well, nothing really.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500, shimano 520 pedals, WTB rocket v saddle, yadaydayda

Submitted by Thomas Nicholson a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2004

Strengths:    3 Velcro scraps, light weight, cheap and in giant sizes.

Weaknesses:    Velcro isn't going to last to many seasons I can tell that already. I personally think the shoe is a little wide for my own personal taste.

Bottom Line:
For $99 you get what you pay for and since it’s my first pair of clip less shoes I can't complain. Simple easy and cheap, just what I was looking for.

Favorite Trail:   Los Peñasquitos Canyon

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   03 Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Armen Jamjekian a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent fit for my wide foot. Feel as normal as a stiff soled mountain bike shoe is going to feel (i almost forget i'm wearing mtb shoes). It seems like they have nice tread. No huge arch thats found in specialized body geometry shoes. Thats really important if you have flat feet. Super easy to get on and off the pedal.

Weaknesses:    Maybe they could have added a buckle but i guess thats reserved for more expensive models. The three velcro straps seem more than enough to me. Heavier than the really expensive race shoes but it hasn't bothered me so far and i don't think they're that heavy anyways. I wish i had a scale...

Bottom Line:
So far i think its a great shoe for the money or maybe more 'fairly priced' than a great deal. Fits my foot like a glove and i have a weird sized foot so thats saying something for the shoe. Its designed to fit a wide variety. I still haven't tried them in hardcore mud or anything like that so i will post again after more use. Just thought i would add something since there are no reviews yet.

One thing i can say is that its definitely a different style than the specialized shoes with body geometry. They feel more like a normal shoe but they are still stiff. Specialized's KILLEd my feet even after a minute or two cause of their crazy lifted arch. The arch is great if you have one but if you have flat feet its murder. So my conclusion is go to the store and buy what fits you best and pick a price range depending on what your goals are. A friend of mine with an arch has the specializeds entry level and he thinks they fit him perfectly. I'm going to give the shimano's 5/5 for now cause so far i think they're great.

Favorite Trail:   Hardwood Hills

Purchased At:   Gears

Similar Products Used:   Tried on Specialized Comp, Rockhopper and MTB RAce i think they're called (the cheap version of the comp)

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS3 - So far its stock