Shimano SH-M088 Shoes

The Shimano SH-M088 Shoes provides the streamlined shape and power transfer of traditional cross-country shoes, only with some added walk'ability and traction for traversing unruly terrain. After all, most aspiring mountain bikers have to cut their teeth on trail systems that're really just...

Submitted by army00 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2013

Strengths:    very comfortable, quite cheap and very nice looking.

Weaknesses:    I have some problem to clip out, but maybe because of my clipless pedal.

Bottom Line:
very comfortable for my feet. my casual shoes is 44, but when I bought this shoes, I found that I have to take one size up (45) as 44 keep touching my toe. This is my first time use, and I was really satisfied. the ventilation was good as my feet not sweating too much than usual. convenient and the price is quite cheap compare with their performance.

Purchased At:   Malaysia

Submitted by Gregg a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2013

Strengths:    Very secure, stiff sole with good power transfer, clasps work well, good padding around the back of the heel, well sealed uppers.

Weaknesses:    Very thin and hard sole padding, tongue tends to slip to one side and is very thin. Because they are so hard, walking on them for any length is not too comfortable.

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a very nice shoe. I've had numerous Shimano shoes and ordered these to the same size (44). They fit well with thinner cycle socks but are quite snug with any sock with sole padding. The tongue tends to slip off to one side for me which causes a rubbing on the raised bone on the inside of my upper foot. After several hours, this gets sensitive.

The bigger problem I have is with the hardness and narrowness of the shoe. During the initial fit, they felt great. But, after about 2 hours, the outside 2 toes and ball of my feet start to become numb. On longer rides it can become downright painful and hurt hours after I get out of them. I've tried swapping out the hard inner sole and using different socks (very thin to running socks) but it makes little difference.

This problem can be accentuated during walking climbs up some hills. On one trail I ride on, there is a very steep hill climb (2,000 feet in about 1 mile). I'm afraid I can't climb that the entire way and end up carrying the bike up the really steep sections. Because it's hard packed and rutted dirt, it can quickly become very painful because I have to walk on the front of the shoe during the climb. Without much flex, the pinch on the foot becomes extreme. Perhaps going one size bigger than usual would help but then I'd be concerned about heel slippage (which fits perfectly).

I think the main problem with this shoe is that it is too narrow. Ignoring that, it has a great build quality and the buckle works great. On a rare occasion when I crank it down too tight, it sometimes doesn't want to release, but otherwise works very well. The materials do a great job keeping the foot comfortable (with the exceptions noted above), even when soaking wet. I've ridden through unexpected monsoons at 65 degrees with thin socks, and never had my feet get cold. They also clean up and dry out very rapidly.

I've banged through rocks and ruts, tree branches, and logs, and the shoes still look new when cleaned up. They seem indestructible from that point of view. I have over 1,500 miles on them at this time and have owned them for just under 4 months.

If you have wide feet, better tries these out first or make sure you have a good return policy. Otherwise, you will probably find them to be extremely good value and reliable.

Favorite Trail:   South Mountain, MD

Duration Product Used:   1,500 miles

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M087, Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll, Cannondale CAADX

Submitted by Matt

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable! I first tried a pair of Pearl Izumi MTB P.R.O. II but they were made for Cinderella. I read the other review of the PI shoes running small so I ordered a full size and a half bigger than what I wear. They were long enough, however, they had my foot rolled up inside like a burrito. These Shimanos are just the right width. I have a wide foot but neanderthal. The stiffness is great and I feel I am getting good power transfer to the pedals.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Comfy shoes for biking. If you expect to hike-a-bike quite a bit, you may want to look for a more relaxed sole. Overall a great shoe so far!