Shimano SH-M086 Shoes

4.07/5 (14 Reviews)

Take to the trails, the streets, the bike path or wherever else you want to ride with Shimano's SH-M086L Shoes cradling your feet. They feature fiberglass-reinforced nylon soles that improve stability and pedaling efficiency. And, their micro-adjustable b

Submitted by BillyL a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2013

Strengths:    Comfort, Styling, Adjustable fit

Weaknesses:    No 1/2 sixes

Bottom Line:
I've been wearing Shimano SH-M071s for years and wanted to try out a three strap shoe. I recently picked up a pair of SH-M086, size 42 for my size 8.5 feet. Shimano indicates that their size 42 is equivalent to US 8.3. I got these shoes used on a popular auction site, so it was hit or miss, not being able to try them on. After riding with these shoes for a week, I'm very impressed. These shoe's synthetic leather is very comfortable, it wraps around my feet very smoothly. When I have the velcro straps and rachet strap set right, there's no pressure spots. It was only, when I unclipped, that I remembered, that I was wearing shoes. I hope that the soles don't separate from the shoes, as some have reported. If they do, I'll just take them to a shoe repair shop to have them reglued. I'd like to hang on to these shoes for a while, since they are so comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   Cunningham Park

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   SH-M071

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M50DX

Submitted by Whacked a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2012

Strengths:    Great fit

Bottom Line:
I bought these 2 seasons ago. They fit very well with the ratchet type buckle snugging things up evenly.
Not too hot in the summer, nor too cold in the winter. Plugs for tow cleats altho I do not have a need for them (so far). Enough traction to grip well. Cleat is recessed enough to avoid some of the gravel-on-cleat grinding when walking on pavement/sidewalk.
I love this shoe enough that I use it for my road bike, no issues there either.
I have not tested how well it holds up to soakings from water-crossings, the trails I ride drain very fast and no water crossings to speak of.
Overall, I would recommend this shoe for someone looking for a good fitting biking shoe.

Similar Products Used:   nashbar/performance house brands

Bike Setup:   '10 Diamondback Overdrive 29er, '88 Mongoose road bike

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Los Gatoes Ca.

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2011

Strengths:    They are comfy and airy. The straps have held up good. Not too bad for hike-biking, seem to have good grip.

Weaknesses:    Sole is seperating around the cleat

Bottom Line:
I liked them a lot, but wish they would have lasted a little longer. I have been riding for only 7 months and they are pretty much useless now because of the soles coming apart. I will not buy these again.

Similar Products Used:   none, First pair

Bike Setup:   Ibis HD fully custom

Submitted by crosscountryracer137 a Cross Country Rider from Monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff sole,very durable, light weight, and surprisingly grips weel on rocks

Weaknesses:    There are none

Bottom Line:
this is an awesome shoe! I would definately reccomend it to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Ord

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M76

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic 2010

Submitted by Terry a Cross Country Rider from gilbert, azz

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2010

Strengths:    comfortble to wear

Weaknesses:    fall apart every six months literally sole seperating from the cleat plate.

Bottom Line:
I looking for more durable shoe they replaced the first pair. I am looking for longer wear shoe.

Favorite Trail:   hawes, south mountin

Purchased At:   adventure bike

Similar Products Used:   same shoes before very comfy poor longevity

Bike Setup:   pivot mach 5

Submitted by Marshalleames a Racer from lafayette CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2009

Strengths:    comfortable, great ratchet system, good looks, great hiking capability, work great with clip less pedals that have a platform (ex. crankbros mallets).

Weaknesses:    don't hold up to rocks, sides rip easily, rubber seems to wear fast around the cleat.

Bottom Line:
Shimano shoes in general have the best shoes on the market undoubtedly. Besides the issue of them holding up, the M086s has been the most comfortable shoe I have owned. Over the past 6 months I have really put them to the test. From doing long rides in Grey Eagle and Downieville, then thrashing them on the dh bike at North star. As of right now I am still rocking the same shoes. Even though they look a little worn with rips in the sides, they still work great. Back at home I ride semi mellow trails and do quite a bit of hiking sometimes. This is where this shoe excels. Because of the flexible sole they are very easy to hike around in and then still get awesome peddling stiffness. I plan on getting another pair sometime soon.

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   adidas, sidi

Bike Setup:   nomad 09, 36 float, dt wheels

Submitted by twowheelsdown2002 a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, Arizona

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2009

Strengths:    Good pedal interface, comfortable

Weaknesses:    Durability, Sole split open

Bottom Line:
Not durable enough!! If they had lasted for at least a year I would give them 5 stars, but they only lasted 3 months, and they are splitting wide open at the bottom. The rubber part is completely separating from the cleat mounting area. I like the way they fit.(maybe sized a little small)I had to get a 44 to fit my 9.5 size feet. They really fit my Shimano M-647 pedals well. Very easy to clip into, and comfortable.

I got almost a year out of the Adidas and they split apart. Now these go less than 3 months. I do ride rocky trails, and have to hike some places for short distances. Maybe if you don't ride rocky, nasty trails they will hold up better. I now have a pair of Sette's on order, I sure hope they are better made!!

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Adidas Plush

Bike Setup:   Titus Motolite

Submitted by Nitrogenus a Weekend Warrior from TN

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, tight(thanks to ratchet), comfortable, great traction when off the bike, Shimano product...

Weaknesses:    None yet...

Bottom Line:
This is my first pair of clipless shoes, but I love them. They provide a comfortably tight fit, lots of style, Shimano quality, and a beautiful connection between man and machine. To top it off, they do it all at a $100 price point. Who needs Italian leather? Buy these NOW!

Submitted by Bmann_mtb a Cross Country Rider from MD

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2009

Strengths:    Fit and finish are great. Ratchet system works perfect to get the shoe just right.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet.

Bottom Line:
These fit like a glove for me. So far they have held up great in mud, water etc. One thing I have noticed being a newbie is don't over tighten the ratchet too much or you will get numb due to poor circulation. I recommend to use shimano XT pedals with them.

Favorite Trail:   anything mtb

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Newbie clip-ins.

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel ex8, shimano xt pedals.

Submitted by Turbs1 a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    Great fit and comfort

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Great shoe so far. Fit, especially round the toe area fantasic. Although I have not had these to long, I am impressed. First ride wearing these was with my 5 and 7 year olds. This meant plenty of time off the bike running and pushing the kids at various times. At no point did I get sore feet. I've had great wear out of 2 pairs of M150's so hope these last as long. 4 stars only at the moment, but will report back after more time wearing these.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Vegas

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M15o x 2

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumer Comp

Submitted by dpastore22 a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, comfortable, comfortable! Great overall shoe, durable and easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    Shimano doesnt have a 46.5 size shoe avail

Bottom Line:
Great shoe, much more comfortable than I expected. I've put these things through the grinder and there still in great shape. Def recommend trying a pair of these out. I gave the shoes a 4 overall, just b/c I beleive theres always room for improvement in everything.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee

Bike Setup:   HIFI 29er Deluxe

Submitted by tim308 a Cross Country Rider from Fort Worth, Texas

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2009

Strengths:    Great price for a great shoe. Very comfortable to wear and seem to be very durable.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
These are great shoes for the money, but even at a higher price, they'd still be better than most. For someone needing a great shoe for any type of MTB riding, this is for you. Great construction, comfortable, and not bad looking.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike Sto