Shimano SH M 152 Shoes

4.31/5 (16 Reviews)

Shimano M 152 has Three hook and loop straps. Neoprene padded tongue. Dark blue with silver mesh.

Submitted by Jay Ng a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2004

Strengths:    The overall geometry of the shoe is very good.
The rigidness of the front is key if you smash against a rock or tree (as I discovered.)

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of

Bottom Line:
These shoes have worked excellently for me. Obviously, I bought a pair that fits, but the actual fit of the shoe is perfect. I like that the sole has no chance of detaching like my Specialized did.
Easy to get your foot in and out of the shoe.

The cleats at the front are good when you pushing your way up hill with the bike on the shoulders :D

Favorite Trail:   Buckwallow

Purchased At:   Galyans

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Ground Control Sport

Bike Setup:   2004 Giant Iguana Disc

Submitted by George Boz a Racer from Lincolnshire

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, Well ventilated, Good tread, Dry quickly

Weaknesses:    Stitching on mesh around toes, Maybe too well ventilated

Bottom Line:
These shoes are a ligher weight than any of the Shimano ratcheting type mountain shoes and have a great sole for hiking up hills. They even seem to be a little wider in the forefoot (which I needed) without being a wide shoe (which is too much for me). The only problem I had is the stitching holding the mesh around my toes broke loose in less than 6 monthes of use. Shimano did honer the warrenty though! The new model shimano replaced these with ( M 120) ha a leather support directly over the toe area where my stiching came loose.

Favorite Trail:   Sunburst, Wisconson

Purchased At:   Albertos

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 2

Submitted by Erik from Blacksburg, VA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2003

Strengths:    Three velcro straps are nice and secure. Fits well on my size 11 feet. Sole is nice and stiff, works great with Shimano m515 pedals.

Weaknesses:    Only one really: my toes get cold in these things, the ventilation up front works too well. I've even had problems in 70 degree weather. So I would have preferred more leather up front, to surround the toes. Still, for $60 bucks, I'm pleased with the overall quality, durability, and fit.

Bottom Line:
Since I got these 1/2 off at Nashbar, I think they are worth the money. They are warm-weather shoes though.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Stuff so old and so long ago they're not even worth mentioning.

Bike Setup:   Circa '93 Rockhopper. WTB seat. I'm cheap!

Submitted by Dredd a Cross Country Rider from Redwood City, CA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2003

Strengths:    Good price, 3 straps, great fit, comfortable, good traction, stiff, good ventilation.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Great shoe for great price ($70 for me..)

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Diadora, SIDI

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Wausau WI, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2003

Strengths:    They fit well, are good and stiff, coomfy even w/out socks, have good ventalation to keep your feet cool, easy to get in and out of, and protect you feet from rocks and logs pretty good.

Bottom Line:
I got my cheap cause they were returned. it didnt matter they were new in the box when i got them. they fit well and dont hurt. they are not as comfortable as a regular pair of nikes but they are good for what they are. the velcro straps work well and make getting in and out very easy. the vents keep your feet cool, but yet you dont feel vulnerable. i have bounced them off rocks without hurting them or my feet. i have no complaints.

Favorite Trail:   #1 at Nine Mile

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Bike Setup:   03 Specialized hardrock comp w/ azonc orc stem, avid single digit ti breaks and nasbar clipless pedals.

Submitted by HTail from SF Bay area

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to put on and adjust, light, comfy, stiff

Bottom Line:
Very impressed by this shoe. It performs such that it's worth the price ou pay. Nice 3 strap adjustment is quick to put on and get snug. Even when snug it conforms nicely to your foot.

On the bike it's like you don't even think about them, power, stability, and heat, are not an issue. Nice to also be able to get inside and change out the cleat nut, which for some reason my prev shoes did not allow- the nut brakes there goes your entire shoe.

Good stuff, recommend it highly.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Diadora, Shimano (real old ones)

Bike Setup:   Truth/Romic/FoxF100X/MavicSL

Submitted by Will B from Denver

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Strengths:    Light/Comfortable/Stable on foot

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Great solid shoe. Becomes part of the foot and makes engagement/disengament very quick and easy. Comfortable even when strapped tight. Comfortable - I usually plop my ass down after a long ride and forget I even have them on. I crash alot and that tends to put alot of force on the cleat. I usually find myself adjusting the cleat on a regular basis but that doesn't seem to be the case with this shoe. The SPD cleat that I use seems to stay put. Oh yea, for any one near an REI, they're on sale. 75 bones!! Five value steamers if you get em on sale.

Favorite Trail:   Please - I livein the Rcky Mtns

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Shimano shoes...for a good reason.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS-1

Submitted by Sleepy LaBeef a Cross Country Rider from Orygun

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    style, three strap closure, durability

Weaknesses:    Shrinkage! Shrinkage!

Bottom Line:
I thought these shoes were $$ for the first 1.5 years, then my feet started to grow or the shoes shrunk. Since I'm 32, I think it's the later. I think my left big toe nail is about to fall off.

Favorite Trail:   Beef Jerky

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Nike (lame-o)

Bike Setup:   G Fisher Sugar Team, Xt

Submitted by knowlton a Cross Country Rider from East Dover, VT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    looks, comfort, tightness, strength

Weaknesses:    a little heel slipping while walking

Bottom Line:
these are great shoes, and I recomend them to beginers and advanced riders both. I use them with egg beaters, and the combo is awsome! these things also grip like monkeys while you are off your bike. I got a 1/2 size smaller than my foot, and they still fit well, but not as good as an 11 would be. While walking, your heel slippes a little, but not much. Great Shoes!

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Bike Setup:   gary fisher sugar 2

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Newport Beach, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Strengths:    Comfort, stiff (but not too), 3 straps

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I really like these shoes. This is my first pair of clipless shoes. I tried on lots and asked lots of questions before I purchased. I decided I wanted three straps, to keep the shoes snug during the ride, velcro straps, to make adjustment easier during the ride, and a stiff sole, for good power transfer (but not too stiff, since I end up walking once or twice because I screwed up).

So far so good and they weren't too expensive.

Purchased At:   CycleWerks

Similar Products Used:   Tried on a few others (Pearl Izumi, Nike, Specialized, Sidi

Bike Setup:   GT XCR LE

Submitted by Jin Man Kim a Weekend Warrior from Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2002

Strengths:    Really nice design at reasonable price. These shoes are really cool and comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Nothing by now, but the price, in Mexico is every thing more expensive than in USA, but thinking about the shipping rate I have no much complain.

Bottom Line:
These shoes are really comfortable and confident. The sole is stiff and the pedaling efficiency is better than older model that I've tried.
The real reason to purchase them was the older ones got shrunk.
In my opinion, these shoes are ideal for the XC and every day use.

Favorite Trail:   All Mexico

Purchased At:   Vazher (Guadalajara)

Similar Products Used:   Older Shimano models.

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 all XT.

Submitted by Tobbe a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Strengths:    Shimano shoes really fit me well. This one is no exception. Three straps are very good for adjustment options. The sole is stiff and you can ride for long and not get tired in the feet.

Weaknesses:    The color is truly boring.

Bottom Line:
I bought these as an axchange for a previous Shimano model - those shoes lasted six years! I think they are very well crafted shoes and I'm sure they will last a long time. They do the job perfectly and match with any type of pedal I've tried. I actually use them for my road bike as well, since i didn't want to have to buy un-walkable racing shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Härsjörundan

Purchased At:   Cykel City

Similar Products Used:   Other Shimano shoes.

Bike Setup:   King Kikapu.

Submitted by Chris a Racer from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2002

Strengths:    This shoe is rigid, and the tread feels great when I have to run my bike up a hill during a race. 3 straps is a magical number and something I looked for for a long time when the time for new shoes came. I guess I got a new version or something, because my shoe didn't have that yellow thing near the sole.

Weaknesses:    It needs a little better ventallation, and the weight could be a little less.

Bottom Line:
Right now racing takes a back seat to tennis, but already I can tell that these shoes are solid. The three strap system hold my foot in better than anything else I have tried. I tried the lace and strap thing, and that is just a waste. It does the same thing, excenpt you can't adjust it as much as you can with these shoes. The adjustabaility is very nice.

Bottom Line: I spent about 2 hours looking for a shop with Shimano shoes, and I am very happy with my decision not to settle for anything less.

Favorite Trail:   Vasa

Purchased At:   Great Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Nike, Specualized, Answer (old)

Bike Setup:   2002 StumpJumper FSR XC Comp, stock except for tires and bar.

Submitted by Travis a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Strengths:    Good product except for one major problem

Weaknesses:    Major for an off road rider, see below.

Bottom Line:
See that picture above? See the yellow plastic in the arch of the foot where there is no sole to save weight? Well that yellow is the hard sole, with the tread starting all around it. Some silly attempt to save weight. The problem is if you push yourself off-road, occasionally unclipping from the pedals (I am thinking Canadian Singletrack here) this is a really dangerous design.

For the riding I do I like the Shimano DX, platform/spd combo. When I have put my foot back on the pedal to negotiate a technical section several times the nose to SPD has slide along this hard sole area and got caught under the tread!!!
This has caused me to crash a couple times, and I would seriously reconsider using these shoes on something like a log ride. When I have been caught in the shoes the normal sideways motion of releasing is of no use. This small trap holds the cleat until you pull either forward or backward. (depending which way it is caught).

After this has happened a couple of times the gap between the sole and the tread has opened up, making it far more likely that the shoe will get caught.

If you ride easy you will never notice this problem, if you don't you will like me, one day crash your brains out without knowing how!

These STINK!

Submitted by Mountain Biker a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff sole, lightweight, comfortable fit.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find...

Bottom Line:
These shoes are great! The three straps make adjustments a snap, and they have stood up to the elements (water, rocks and general badness) so far. I've used them on some big, sweaty climbs and my dogs remain cool as a breeze. Five chili's for Shimano!

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet