Shimano SH-AM50 Shoes

• Rugged, ballistic, textile inlays over key areas
  • Durable shoe with a breathable but structured upper reinforced
  • Mid-top ankle protection for more aggressive riding
  • Aggressive lightweight sole delivers excellent traction

Submitted by Trail6 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2009

Strengths:    Secure fit and easily adjustable
Good traction and no slip while doing a hike-a-bike

Weaknesses:    Quality control not the best, tongue in one shoe sewn in crookedly

Bottom Line:
Like the poster below, I had one shoe of the pair with the tongue sewn in at an odd angle. Not a big problem since I had the local shoe repair guy sew the tongue in place. For me these shoes work a lot better than my Sidi's did on Time Z pedals. The extra ankle support/protection was the real selling point for me.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Bullet

Submitted by Cogged a Cross Country Rider from Honolulu

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, ankle protection, secure velcro straps

Weaknesses:    Standard issue black isn't too exciting, but hides soiling well.

Bottom Line:
I didn't know what to expect when I first got the AM50's; as they have a very unique look.
I was a bit hesitant about the "ankle high" style of the shoe interfering with ankle movement, but the clever design has low cutouts in the front and rear of the shoe.
This gives you unrestricted ankle movement when pedaling, especially at the top and bottom of the pedal stroke.
I have wide feet, but the toe box area is surprisingly roomy.
My Time MXE Carbons in comparison feel a lot more cramped in the toe box, and leave your small and big toe hurting after a long, hard ride.
The AM50's are surprisingly only a couple of ounces heavier than the Time MXE's.
The AM50's are great for walking with the recessed cleat design.
They are also very grippy and silent when walking on hard surfaces.
The Time MXE's by comparison are very uncomfortable for walking, and are very slippery on hard surfaces.
They also sound like a pair of tap dancing shoes on hard surfaces.
The AM50 also has a well thought out tread pattern that sheds mud build up easily.
The Time MXE's would clog easily and have to be manually scraped free of mud.
The AM50's three velcro straps are strategically placed to really lock your foot in the shoe for good power delivery to the pedals.
The AM50 has a slight amount of flex in the sole for walking, but gives up nothing in terms of pedaling efficiency to the Time MXE which has an extremely stiff sole.
Whether cruising or hammering, the AM50's never became uncomfortable or drew attention to themselves; a really good sign.
Basic black isn't too exciting, but it sure hides the dirt and grime, which quickly builds up on the Time MXE's flashy silver/red/black/carbon fiber color scheme.
A sleeper of a shoe; very unassuming looking, but it is very well thought out, lightweight, and has great ankle protection.
I'll be spending more time in the AM50's than my Time MXE Carbons.
I'm giving it a 5 for value, since I got it for practically nothing on a closeout deal.
But at full retail, there is some stiff competition out there.

Purchased At:   Nasbar

Similar Products Used:   Time MXE carbon, Time Scallop, assorted Shimano SPD shoes

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Joker, Manitou Minute MRD fork, Manitou Type S SR rear shock, XTR derailleurs, shifters,rotors, crankset, and wheelset; IRD disc brakes, Time Control Z pedals.

Submitted by Critical Bill a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
Warning: The width of these shoes run a bit on the narrow side. I'm a 10.5, just bought a size 44 from Nashbar and had to return 'em for a size 45. I realize they may eventually stretch but my feet were hurting from just slipping them on. Stay tuned.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by dimitrin a Cross Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Strengths:    supportive, comfortable, lightweight, quick drying

Weaknesses:    Manufacturing inconsistencies

Bottom Line:
We ride xc / all mountain, and these are made to order. Very supportive upper-properly supports my foot bones (I always use a heat moldable insole). My foot is very protected, the shoe is light and well ventilated. Drains water and dries quickly. Velcro offset straps are awesome. The catch is poor quality control. I had to go through 5 pairs of this shoe in order to find 1 pair that were manufactured correctly. The other pairs all had the tongues sewn in at very odd angles. It took a while until I pieced together a good pair, but was worth it. I sure hope someone at Shimano gets their act together!

4 chiles overall because of poor quality control at the chinese shoe shop.

Purchased At:   performance