Shimano SH-320 Shoes

3.73/5 (15 Reviews)

Shimano SH-320

Submitted by Tom Face a Downhiller from Yucaipa, CA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Strengths:    fit was good, stiff and comfortable

Weaknesses:    the adjustment buckle broke after about 1 year. I used a zip tie and kept using them. One month later the other buckle broke. lousy investment.

Bottom Line:
I feel violated by Shimano. How is it possible that you buy the best shoe they sell, and they last for a year? Don't even try to contact Shimano. they could G.A.S. what you think! Look elsewhere for a good shoe, I am!

Favorite Trail:   santa ana river trail

Purchased At:   Redlands Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   specialized sport shoes, answer

Bike Setup:   Intense Uzzi DH, boxxer, hayes, 3 chainrings

Submitted by miro a Racer from Huntsville, Alabama

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2001

Strengths:    distribution of power

Weaknesses:    Buckle recently broke and can not get replacement anywhere, even shimano does not have it. After 20-30 min. of racing tongue will slide outside and shoes become loose what force you to tight it while balancing on rocky trail. Few times I tryied to stop and fix tongue, but after 10 min. it is in its "natural position".

Bottom Line:
I think that buckle system is not good idea on any racing shoes.

Favorite Trail:   any not very technical

Purchased At:   Homewood cycle

Similar Products Used:   less expensive shimano

Bike Setup:   KHS 4000 Alite with XTR

Submitted by Matt N. a Cross Country Rider from Flemington, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Strengths:    Plastic "bumper" protecting your entire foot and the uppers from rocks, etc. Good looks, easy in & out, neoprene insert in tongue, & smart cleat pocket in sole that does not require trimming (with Ritcheys, at least).

Weaknesses:    Tricky buckle adjustment.

Bottom Line:
Only time will tell how the shoes stand up to the voracious rocks of western Jersey (they ate my old Lakes in 2 seasons), but after a couple hundred combined road/offroad miles, I can definitely say these are the best fitting shoes I've ever had.

I do have an extremely narrow & flat foot (I use orthotics to pump up the volume), so this jives with what other reviewers have written: _not_ for fat feet!

Only one complaint thus far: the buckle does not snug up "progressively" -- one click too far and you have a major pressure point. Back it up one tooth though, and you've got a nice, snug fit.

As for another reviewer's claim that the 220 was the "fix" for all of the 320's problems: the 2002 shoe that will replace both (the M-221) also features the wrap-around "bumper" sole of the 320 - now that's what I call a fix!

The bottom line:
It's about time shoe manufacturers stopped trying to pass off whimpy, unreinforced road shoes with a rubber sole slapped on the bottom as MTB shoes (yeah, that means you Sidi)! For $99 these shoes are a deal!

Favorite Trail:   Tequepis (Santa Barbara, CA)

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Comps, Lake MX-200s, North-Wave Compacts, and Shimano M-200s.

Bike Setup:   relevant: Race Face LP cranks, Ritchey pedals

Submitted by Tim a Racer from Calgary Ab.

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Strengths:    Good fit, good heel pocket

Weaknesses:    Not so good for wide feet. Tongue slides to the side.

Bottom Line:
I have used these for 3 seasons and they have held up incredibly well. I ride 3-4000 km a year. Fit for narrow feet is excellent.

Purchased At:   Bow Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Lake MX 200

Submitted by Gerald McMurray a Racer from Seaside

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, light and tough (to date)

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
Still going strong. Great shoe. Stiff and light. About 700 miles of mostly mountian riding logged to date and still going strong.

Similar Products Used:   The full gambit

Submitted by Gerald McMurray a Racer from Monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, great power transfer, light, looks good, great fit for my foot

Weaknesses:    None yet. Will report back after some more miles

Bottom Line:
I only have two rides totally about 85 miles on these but I have to say that they are the most comfortable race level shoe I have worn. The power transfer is noticeably better than other shoes also. The fit is great for my relatively narrow size 44.5. Hopefully they will be durable since they were a replacement for my Nike's which broke on the soul. Will report back.

Favorite Trail:   Sea Otter

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Nike Cairns (Garbage), Axo summit, Answer, Sidi Dominators

Bike Setup:   SC Superlight

Submitted by Tom Hightower a Weekend Warrior from Rancho Cucamonga ,Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2001

Strengths:    Looks good, really stiff ,fit well I have big feet and I kinda ride agressive just kinda these shoe`s are the best I have had .

Weaknesses:    They are not strong enough I broke the sole right behind the cleat this sucks I hate breaking stuff these are well balanced shoe`s but they should last longer I know they (shimano) will give me new ones but it is just the hassel

Bottom Line:
If you are a racer maybe these would work for you they fit well with big American feet size 12.5 just wish they would`nt break!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Blair Witch

Purchased At:   Competitive edge Upland Ca

Similar Products Used:   shimano sh-81

Bike Setup:   santa cruz bullit white bro`s DH>2 fork`s shimano XT- disc`s Hadley DH hubs 521`s

Submitted by Fred Porter a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2000

Strengths:    --Stiff
--Foot is encased in an 'armored' plastic bathtub
--Wraparound sole should improve durability.

Weaknesses:    --Fits NARROW
--No pressure distribution under rachet strap
--The rachet strap is not as durable as Sidi's

Bottom Line:
The M320 looked like my ideal shoe. I always blow out my Sidis somewhere around my pinky toe from whacking them on rocks which tears through the lorica. The wrap around plastic sole of the M320 looks provides two advantages: plastic armor to protect my foot and also to protect the shoe's upper. The wrap around of the sole also makes for a very stiff shoe, stiffer than than the Sidi D2. However shimano must use elves for their foot shape since the shoe fits very narrow. My friend and I both got size 46 and have had to stretch them out width wise. I wear a 45.5 Sidi D2 which fits great. In contrast, the size 46 M320 is longer, yet narrower than my Sidi D2.

The plastic strap in the rachet buckle is not as durable as the Sidi--the plastic is more brittle. One of the adjustment steps has shorn off, making adjustment difficult. Of the 3 pairs of Sidis I've owned, I never broke a strap (nor a buckle for that matter). The plastic levers of the M320 rachet feel more brittle than the Sidi. Also, there is not adequate pressure distribution under the rachet strap. Running it tight causes a painful hot spot. The two velcro front straps are more effective than those of the Sidi.

So three problems and two advantages. Time will tell if they are more durable, but I know already that the plastic wraparound sole does protect my toes from rock and root hits. With some stretching they do fit well. DO NOT pay the retail price of over $200 for these shoes (my value rating is based on MSRP).

BTW, I use Superfeet insoles in almost all my shoes and they make a huge difference--great arch support and a nice heel cup.

Similar Products Used:   Sidi dominator 1 and 2

Bike Setup:   hardtail, I weigh 175, somewhat flatfooted and I pronate

Submitted by Carsten Fisker a Cross Country Rider from AArhus, Denmark

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Strengths:    after extensive use I must say: NONE

Weaknesses:    read below

Bottom Line:
At first sight this shoe seems awsome. Looks like quality, but isn't. The quality of the spikefittings is way below standard and does not last more than one winter season.
The sole is a chapter of is self. Because of the special design, with the plastic sole expanding up on the sides of the shoe, it´s like stepping on a bowl-shaped sole instead of a flat one (and I even have a narrow footprint). This is some you do not notice at first, but try riding this shoe for hours - it's like feeding your feet sleepingpills. I recently competed in a 24 hour race, now one month later I still suffer from nerve-spasms in 3 toes on each foot.
Shimano is out with a new shoe: SH- M220, which seems to solwe all of these problems mentioned above. Just ordered a pair and will post a review as soon as I get out riding them!

Similar Products Used:   Lake

Bike Setup:   Marin MT Vision Pro, Pace RC 37, Hope XC4, Syncros Steel Revolution crank, Ringle stem etc.

Submitted by matthew berg a Cross Country Rider from madison,wi

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2000

Strengths:    stiff
good toe protection
Like the mechanical strap

Weaknesses:    not leather

Bottom Line:
These would be a great buy at regular price, but guess what.. I got a pro deall on them, even better!

Favorite Trail:   yes

Similar Products Used:   lake, shamano 110

Bike Setup:   to many to list

Submitted by Tan Kin Sung a Cross-Country Rider from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1999

Strengths:
stiff,look,buckle and comfort

Weaknesses:
sole and price

Bottom Line:
This shoe are great better then the Sidi but one this for this price they should have given you real leather. I fall in love with the shoe when it first came in my shop(I work in a bike shop)
and bought them I cycle with everyday to work and back that is about 24 km a day no problem with these pair of shoe but recently after my first wash i found a small crack on the sole is just about 4mm long no problem. Love these shoe thank Shimano. Give it a four due to the crack in the sole.

Sungai Buloh

3 months

M-210 and Sidi Techno

RST fork with XTR and XT groupo

Submitted by Greg a Racer from St. John's, NF

Date Reviewed: October 2, 1999

Strengths:
Stiffness, Ratcheting buckle, looks. toe spikes

Weaknesses:
On the first pair, I had, the rivet that holds the buckle on broke through the shell, rendering the shoes useless. After about a month, I did get a new pair back from Shimano, though.

Bottom Line:
A great show for racing and hardcore riding - the wraparound skeleton can't be beat! However, I did deduct one chili for the buckle problem.

Richmond Hill

6 months

Shimano M150, Shimano M110 (2 pairs), Lake LX 50

Rocky Mountain Instinct

Submitted by fakaui a Cross-Country Rider from Rancho Santa Margarita

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1999

Strengths:
Fit,Comfort,Sole Stiffness.

Weaknesses:
Price, Color

Bottom Line:
One of the best fitting shoes ive tried and one of the few that keeps my heels in place!! Great stiffness which helps let you hammer up climbs without loss of power. Only 4 chilies because of the price.

3 months

Nike Pooh-bah, Airwalks

Schiwinn Homgrown 4Banger All Mountain. SID XL

Submitted by Steve a Cross-Country Rider from Cape Elizabeth, Me

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1999

Strengths:
stiff and comfy

Weaknesses:
none so far

Bottom Line:
Shimano finally got it right! This is my third pair of their shoes. They've always been okay. I like the 210s and used them until they began to fall apart. But these new 320s are stiff, light and confortable -- a very nice shoe!

less than 1 month

shimano 210s and rockasocki

Submitted by Steven a Cross-Country Rider from Cape Cod, Ma.

Date Reviewed: May 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've used these shoes on around 10 rides since I purchased them around a month ago.
This is a very stiff, but comfortable shoe. It has two straps and a replacable ratcheting
buckle, which make adjustment easy.The shoe comes with toe spikes included. I really like the full wrap-aeound vinyl protector, which seems to be bonded to the sole. This
is my 3rd pair of high end Shimano shoes. The previous two pairs are still usable, after
3 years of use, which is one of the reasons that I decided to buy this new pair.

Trail Of Tears