Shimano Rokasaki M150 Shoes

2.82/5 (49 Reviews)

Shimano Rokasaki M150

Submitted by mikeb a Cross Country Rider from Sodom in the North

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2002

Strengths:    love/hate relationship with neoprene
overall comfort
durability of UPPERS
stiff platform
second layer of sole holes up even though the black lugged part deteriorates
nice, substantial feel to them

Weaknesses:    love/hate relationship with neoprene
what happened to the black rubber on the sole?

Bottom Line:
my shimano M 150's are now retired to commuter status, starting christmas day 2002. i am surprised that so many of you have such awful and vitriolic things to say about these shoes, as they have served me well over two race seasons and many, many miles of riding in all conditions--including some snow.

that said, let me talk about the neoprene bootie that shimano never saw fit to use on any other of thier shoes that i can think of. the idea is OK on paper, but iffy in real world applications. i found that the bootie DID make my ankles feel a bit warmer while i was hiking through the snow in downieville, and they also keep small pebbles and stuff out of your shoes while you're riding on roads/trails covered with loose gravel or sand. the down side of the booties is that they can make the shoes a massive pain to put on if you're mildly incoherent from an evening of heavy drinking and/or substance abuse, or perhaps exhausted from five laps of twenty four hour racing. at any rate, i am glad shimano has ditched the bootie on thier later shoes.

these shoes are comfortable too, with or without the bootie. i'd been using a pair of sidis for the two years prior to my purchase of the shimano shoes (1998). shimano's 150's are a bit more padded around the ankle and tongue than the sidis, which would easily make the shimano shoes my choice for two hour plus rides. the shimano shoe also has an insole that is much thicker and more comfortable than the sidi. they're heavier shoes, but when it comes down to a weight versus comfort trade off, i'll lean towards comfort, especially in shoes or clothing.

these shoes are also durable. i've used them as my primary off road shoe for more than three years now, and the uppers, tongue and inside of the shoes are still stitched almost as well as the day i purchased them. the rubber lugs/knobs which are bonded/glued to the yellow platforms has crumbled into nearly nothing, but who using these shoes as hiking boots anyway? the lugs/knobs and platform around the cleat pocket has held up, and in a MTB shoe, the shoe/cleat/pedal interface is the are which needs to hold up the best anyway. my right sidi's platform cracked in half after less than one year of off road riding and the shoe had to be replaced by sidi.

all in all, the only bone to pick i have with shimano about these shoes is the apparent un-durability of the soles.i'm hoping that the new shoes which were just given to me as a christmas gift hold up better in this area, and even so, i'm not complaining too much about the 150's. so what if the rubber on the bottom crumbled, it took a year and a half to start deteriorating and i was still using the shoes for every off road ride i took three years after i got them. if they were still available today, i might even consider buying another pair. i'm sold on shimano shoes now, and the rockasaki M 150's were the cycling shoe that clinched the sale.

Favorite Trail:   boggs mtn demo forest

Purchased At:   avenue cyclery SF

Similar Products Used:   sidi techno fire, various specialized and shimano shoes, lightweight hiking boots (back in the day)

Bike Setup:   shimano PD-747. what does the whole bike have to do with this?

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2002

Strengths:    Great traction, neoprene keeps junk out, cool shoe in the summer

Weaknesses:    Initially, had to cut small amount of rubber from sole to get proper cleat engagement on my Shimano 545 pedals. After adjustment, no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
Sorry to hear other readers had bad experiences with them, but I have loved them. My only regret is that I'll probably never be able to find another pair. Sole has given me no problems whatsoever, and I ride over 12 hours a week offroad. Aluminum cleats show wear, but that is why they are replaceable. And I do my share to abuse the cleats. Rubber sole is wearing predictably. No delamination, no problems with straps.

Neoprene sock is the greatest, wish they still had this feature. I ride in grassy areas with lots of seeds, thorns and burrs and I never get any foreign objects in my shoes.

Love this shoe. Will buy Shimano again.

Similar Products Used:   Adidas, Sidi

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Thin Air, XTR, Black Elite, WTB New Paradigm wheelset.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Pembroke, Ma.

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable, neoprene keeps the stuff out, good traction when hiking the bike.

Weaknesses:    Absorb water. Heavy.

Bottom Line:
There have been a lot of negative reviews on these shoes and I know they aren't available anymore anyway, but I just wanted to weigh in. I got these on sale 2 years ago and, after reading the reviews, expected the worst, but after riding them up here in the tough northeast, I have to say I have been more than satisfied. They have been through ice and snow, swamps and river crossings, and just plain ol' mountain bike conditions and held up pretty darn well. Nothing has torn off of 'em, they are great for when you have to get off the bike and walk, which I do a lot of, and they have kept my feet reasonably comfy on the cold winter days. If I could get another pair, for the same money, I would surely do it. I haven't seen any shoe that is all things to all people, so until I do, I will keep experimenting with different shoes and manufacturers. Sorry you took a hit on these, Shimano, but I find them ok. (Wish I could say the same for your M-858's.) Considering the cost of good mtb shoes these days, I give'm 4 flamers and for their overall toughness and longevity in some pretty rough conditions, I give'm 5.

Favorite Trail:   Hound 'n Hair

Purchased At:   Performance Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Sidi, Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Owl Hollow hardtail. XT with RS Sid XC. Panaracer Fire XT. Shimano M-858.

Submitted by sean smith a Cross Country Rider from philadelphia, pa, usa

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2001

Strengths:    Good fit; good traction during hike-a-bikes; fits Rugby studs, which are longer than the studs that came with the shoe.

Weaknesses:    Front toe molding came of almost immediately after purchase; rear traction heel treads are starting to rip off. Yeah, what is the neoprene sock for anyway? Is Shimano still making these shoes? I haven't seen them in any bike shops for a while now.

Bottom Line:
These shoes were good when I first bought them, but they haven't stood the test of time.

Favorite Trail:   pennypack and wissahickon parks

Purchased At:   Guy's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Nike Nguba

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V 900 with Marzzochi Z.4 fork (blew my Headshok out); Bontrager Maverick ceramic front wheel with Real hub; Rhyno-lite rear wheel with Avid 2.0 V brakes; XT cranks; looking to upgrade to either Rocky Mountain Slayer, Ventanna La Bruha or a Mountain Cycle San Andreas DHS

Submitted by squish a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2001

Strengths:    Look good, decent grip in mud when 'crossing.

Weaknesses:    Is only a decent shoe for 'crossing: big lugs on sole tear off, big aluminum studs make you slip on rock or logs, last is extremely narrow and toe box is wierdly shaped and small, and what does the neoprene cuff do again?

Bottom Line:
These are the worst shoes I've owned. They'd be good for a season of cyclocrossing, but I don't cyclocross and I was hoping they'd be good for more than a year. Tight fit when I bought them, hoped thy'd loosen up - no luck. They got wet and the toe box collapsed - every long ride I'd end up with a purple toenail. 3-strap closure was good, and no problems with stitching, but I'm very glad I have some Answer Impacts to mtb with now. The Shims get demoted to the commuting dept. Buy some new Answers or Northwaves instead.

Similar Products Used:   Older Shimano (much better), Northwave, Answer.

Submitted by Phil a Racer from Cincinnati

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2001

Strengths:    Cool looking shoe with aggressive sole and mostly good fit.

Weaknesses:    A little tight in the toe.

Bottom Line:
I've mashed and mangled and soaked these shoes for two and a half years now. Yeah they're showing it, but they have held up quite well. They've been through 2 24 Hours of Canaan, 1 24 HOur of Snowshoe and countless NORBA races and brutal wet ugly rides. Despite the abuse, they are still holding up.

Favorite Trail:   Tea Creek, The Plunge...

Purchased At:   Going Mobile

Similar Products Used:   Time World Cup

Bike Setup:   KHS Alite 3000, Race Face, XTR, etc...

Submitted by George North a Cross Country Rider from Cumbria (England)

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Strengths:    Comfort, Useful neoprene cuff keeps the crap out of your shoe.

Weaknesses:    Everything else.
The sole at the toes have completely fallen off, and now reside in a bog,
The sole has ripped and peeled away at the side,
The aluminium studs have almost completely worn down,
The ankle cuff has fallen apart,
The leather has ripped down the side,
The grip is non-existent on wet rock,
They are freezing cold when temp. <0,
Water pours in through the side in Winter, yet they are too hot for Summer,
The blue surface has come off the leather around the toe.

Bottom Line:
Avoid at all costs, luckily they were half price so I didn't waste too much money, if someone has any other sugggestions for new shoes please e-mail me.

Favorite Trail:   Loughrigg Terrace

Purchased At:   merlin cycles

Similar Products Used:   Diadora

Bike Setup:   Time atacs (excellent pedals)- the best
kona lavadome, superflys, XT.

Submitted by Billy a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2000

Strengths:    Comfortable

Weaknesses:    Heavy, falls apart, bottom rubber is too soft.

Bottom Line:
They fall apart and aren't worth the $, buy something else.
My $59 Nike shoes are better and longer lasting.
Have to give them at least a 2 since they are comfortable.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Nike, other Shimano shoes

Bike Setup:   FSR w/ Time ATAC

Submitted by TOM from SALEM NH

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2000

Strengths:    WHAT? IT'S A SHOE?

Weaknesses:    COMING APART

Bottom Line:
THE SHOE SUCKS! I COAST DOWNHILL WITH MY RIGHT FOOT FORWARD. THE INDIDE HEEL OF THE SHOES HAVE A PIECE OF PLASTIC THAT ONLY GOES HALFWAY UP THE SHOE. THIS PIECE OF MY RIGHT SHOE RUBS THE CRANK ARM WHILE COASTING OVER BUMPS AND IS PEELING OFF. I'VE HAD 2 PAIRS IN 3 MONTHS AND BOTH RIGHT SHOES DID THE SAME THING. ONCE IT STARTS PEELING IT GOES FAST LEAVING A BIG FLAP OF MUD SCOOPING PLASIC AND A BIG HOLE. IF YOU'VE EXPERIENCED THIS PROB AND FOUND A NEW SHOE THAT WORKS WELL PLEASE E-MAIL ME. I'M IN THE MARKET FOR SOME GOOD DURABLE SHOES UNDER $150.

Favorite Trail:   DH

Bike Setup:   M1, 636 PEDALS, XTR CRANKS

Submitted by Luke a Cross Country Rider from Pekin

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2000

Strengths:    NONE.

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHING. I bought these shoes less than one year ago. They have been warrantied twice by the shop that I purchased them from for "delaminating", IE the rubber sole separates itself from the shoe. Now this is the third time and the only traction that I get out of these is the spd cleats and the toe spikes.

Bottom Line:
They suck. Shimano needs to stick to dereillurs and fishing rods. I am giving my shoes to my dogs as chew toys.

Favorite Trail:   Friendly Trail

Similar Products Used:   Answer Accelerators

Bike Setup:   Pedals are used with Shimano 747 on Race Face cranks

Submitted by jamie a Racer from nova scotia canada eh

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2000

Strengths:    looks
real toe spikes(not studs, spikes!)
good traction and still stiff

Weaknesses:    the little noroprene stick guard fell apart
some of the blue color on the leather wore off
some parts of the sole are coming off
heavy

Bottom Line:
I thought these shoes would have been a bit more durable. They look great but there is better shoes for less money. I also find them narrow in the toe box. I am sticking with specialized shoes from now on. When I had my specialized sports they looked brand new after 5 months of hard use. The toe spikes are made of a soft metal and are worn down to half their original size. parts of the sole are also coming off and one of the straps is falling apart. Thats pretty crapy from the toughest LOOKING shoe i have ever seen.

Favorite Trail:   warandees/wentworth hostel

Similar Products Used:   specialized sport

Bike Setup:   s-works M4 with sid
gt force road bike
specialized and shimano pedals

Submitted by Igis a Cross-Country Rider from Slovakia

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1999

Strengths:
Perfect in terrain walkin like soccer shoes.
Neoprene.

Weaknesses:
Cool walking with spikes in city or buildings.

Bottom Line:
They hold also on not SPD pedals and no sign of damage.

Little Carpathians

less than 1 month

Author, not SPD pedals.
Ritchey V2 SPD pedals.

Submitted by Joeyjoejoe a Racer from Sherbrooke, Qc

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1999

Strengths:
Great traction when running uphill and also if you have to walk downhill. Stiff sole, the neoprene thingy keeps rocks, dirt etc out.

Weaknesses:
a bit heavy. I have a newer model and the sole is holding up fine (about 3000km on them)but the leather on the side of my feet where my arches are is not staying sewed together. the sole's are fine but the rest of the shoe is slowly falling appart.

Bottom Line:
Let's just say that my previous shoes where specialized ground control, I had them for 7 years and they held up fine, but these, on the inside portion (theside that faces my bike), where the 2 pieces of leather are sewed together, everything is falling appart...I mean come on, 185$ cdn for a shoe that last only one season of racing and training....and they're also quite heavy....If they old up next season, I'll keep them but when they fall appart completely, I won't be replacing them with another pair of Shimano.

long steep uphills

Specialized
Lakes

non relevant

Submitted by heatstroke a Weekend Warrior from malaysia

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1999

Strengths:
good traction

Weaknesses:
neoprene stitching tore
sole separated from shoe
heavy

Bottom Line:
i regret buying ths shoe

m210

obed
superfly
xt/xtr

Submitted by Mr. K2 a Cross-Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 1999

Strengths:
stiff sole
neoprene seal
good traction

Weaknesses:
toe spikes wear quickly
should last longer for the price

Bottom Line:
I really love these shoes. The sole started to delaminate a little around the cleat, but it doesn't affect anything. The aggresive sole is really stiff and climbs well, and the neoprene ankle thing works really well to keep crap out of my shoes. The toe spikes did wear down really fast though, I ended up taking hem off about a week ago. The sole, after one year of abuse, is getting worn down, I'll probably have to replace them in two or three months. They should have lasted longer for the price, but they perform really well and I plan on buying another pair when these die.

Rim Trail