Shimano MO37 Shoes

4.73/5 (15 Reviews)

Designed for commuters, recreational and off-road riders, these shoes are comfortable for walking and feature an efficient cycling platform.. Uppers are split leather with nylon cloth for breathability, durability and light weight. EVA-backed insoles offer cushioning comfort. Fiberglass-reinforced nylon midsoles provide a stiff and efficient pedaling platform. Rubber outsoles provide traction. Bolt-on sole plates make cleat installation a breeze and can be re-attached after initial removal. Compatible Shimano pedals: PD-M545, PD-M515, PD-M536, PD-M434.

Submitted by tlucach1972 a Cross Country Rider from Montrose, CO

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2009

Strengths:    This is a good strong shoe for cross country riding and technical climbing sections in and around Grand Junction and out at Hartman's Rock in Gunny. I have owned three pair of them and seem to get lucky finding another pair every time I ware another out. Just got my girlfriend her first pair for $18 and they are in great shape.
When I cannot find another pair at the end of this pair's life I will go with something as close a I can find.

Weaknesses:    Cleat rubs and I will need to replace it when I replace the shoe most likely but seeing as every used pair seems to come with cleats attached this should not be a problem. I have two pair extra and will get a third pair with the purchase of the pedals needed for girlfriend.

Bottom Line:
I was amazed to find another pair after all these years. I don't think I'll find another, though I have seen them on ebay.

Favorite Trail:   Grand Junction Lunch loop

Purchased At:   Wilderness Sports Co

Similar Products Used:   I can't remember anymore. It has been so long since I owned something different. I've had the same make shoes for 8 years.

Bike Setup:   Epic Marathon from 2006 in great shape and a 1997 Scott carbon fiber Elite with third set of components. 2002 Trek super light full suspension for the lady.

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Saginaw,Tx,USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2004

Strengths:    Looks like a regual hiking shoe. Comfortable and seems very durable. Easy to walk around in off the bike. Came with the cleats, heck for around 20 bucks whats there to complain about.

Weaknesses:    Needs longer shoe laces. Recessed cleat, not hardly.

Bottom Line:
I really can not complain for what I paid for the shoes. They seem very durable and are probably one of the most comfortable shoes I have worn. I wanted a shoe that looked like you did not just finish a cross country race and that you could hike around in while you are off the bike. They are easy to walk around in and feel very secure while you are riding. I like the fact that they have laces as well as a velcroe closeure. Some of the shoes that I have only have a velcroe closure, they tend to fill loose after awhile on the bike. If you ride XC and like to get off your bike and check out nature these shoes will work great.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere there is dirt

Similar Products Used:   Answer, Axo, 661

Submitted by Tony Mairs a Racer from Belfast , Northern Ireland

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2004

Strengths:    I ride loads, often with this shoe. More comfortable than any road racing shoe (most comfortable cycling shoe I've owned), breathes better than you would expect, durable, suprisingly water-proof, feels the same on your foot as the new MO38, only may be cheaper as it is now obsolete.

Weaknesses:    (Only one weakness)Shimano claims that the shoe has a recessed cleat system but when walking on hard ground the sickening sound of the cleat wearing it's self out is easily audible, which is a real pity because this wonderful shoe would have scored a perfect 5 'flamin chilis' for sure if this problem was remidied.

Bottom Line:
Good shoe! Highly recommended and is probably being sold for pennies out there as the new MO38 moves in. The reason that I bought this shoe over the Specialized Sonoma was that the MO37 was reduced from £50 to £38.50 and it seemed just as good. It keeps your feet dry when everything else is soaked to the skin (a good thing since i'm living in shower city, Belfast). Shimano no longer make the MO37 so snap up some end of line bargains! Unfortunately the so-called recessed cleat system does'nt prevent the cleat from scraping on the ground, Shimano has used the same sole for the MO38 so it too shares this annoying problem . This mishap costs the M037 5 chillis. Problem aside GOOD SHOE!

Favorite Trail:   Belvoir (it's the only one around)

Purchased At:   Halfords Boucher Road

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Sonoma, (friends shoe)
(Check out my review of the Shimano M515 pedals).

Submitted by James Luhrs a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2004

Strengths:    VERY LONG LASTING (1year gone and still have at least 9 months left in them) look good, look like normal shoes, sturdy, comfortable, easy to ease into (as a first set of shoes), (I use them as normal shoes in every day life and use them about 200days a year)
Helps make bunny hops VERY easy

Weaknesses:    Cant plat touch rugby on concrete, (otherwise none)

Bottom Line:
If you walk/run in them too often the material around the alkalis starts to peal (leading to possible irritation)
Very long lasting
EXTREAMLY GOOD VALUE (especialy if you use them as every day shoes)

Favorite Trail:   the ones i get to brag about my injuries

Purchased At:   Somewhere in Australia

Submitted by Ken from Goleta, CA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2003

Strengths:    Great off the bike. The soft rubber sole is great for walking on wet rocks, driving, hiking bad sections, and grabbing a meal after a ride. Also, they look like shoes, not a fruity-colored bid for attention.

Weaknesses:    Soft rubber sole eventually split.

Bottom Line:
I found these to be a perfect balance between being flexible enough to walk in, and stiff enough to ride in. The only reason I would get a stiffer, hard soled shoe would be in the hopes of it lasting longer. The sole tore right at the point it flexs most, something which wouldn't have happened on a hard plastic bottom. They lasted almost two years though and I plan on replacing them with the same or the newer M038.

Favorite Trail:   Camuesa Connector

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Some low-end Specialized hard soled shoes.

Bike Setup:   3 year old Spec Rockhopper A1 Comp with lots of replacements.

Submitted by adam a Cross Country Rider from Kokomo, IN

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2003

Strengths:    comfortable, functional, lightwieght, looks good (read: tough). strap hides and secures shoestring. priced well

Weaknesses:    why doesn't someone make Ti cleats? how cool would that be? even if they sucked, it would be cool just to have them. they really have no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
they work good, and priced right. they are also made by a reputable company who knows biking. buy them.

Purchased At:   galyans

Bike Setup:   EPX Terrashark frame, mostly XT drivetrain, easton bar and stem and marzoochi MX Pro fork, crossmax ust disk

Submitted by RPheezy a Weekend Warrior from Vallejo, CA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2003

Strengths:    Great fit, can walk around in them, looks good, strap is great for securing laces.

Weaknesses:    Need slightly longer laces.

Bottom Line:
Great value and performance. Must buy.

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M80 Disc

Submitted by K Nguyen a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, US

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2003

Strengths:    Looks good. I really like the straps, keep the laces tight. Very easy to change the cleats. This shoes work great with Shimano M959 padel. In and out very easy, no more accident!

Weaknesses:    Pad should of been thicker. I might have to buy a thicker sole pad.

Bottom Line:
This is a recomeded product. This will last at least 2 years. And did I mention it looks good.

Purchased At:   Reed's Sport Shop

Similar Products Used:   Cannodale Arago.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR '02. XTR drive train; XT disc; Thomson seatpost; Raceface headset & stem; SID carbon; SRAM grip shift.

Submitted by Ryan from Salem, OR

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent fit

Weaknesses:    material maybe could be more durable.

Bottom Line:
I really like these shoes, very comfortable. The velcro strap is nice. I had a minor crash and sure chewed up the side of the shoe, makes me think the material is a little soft, hope they last awhile. All around they are a great shoe.

Submitted by Shawn Y a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2003

Strengths:    Nice fit, wider in toe area

Bottom Line:
These shoes are worth the 80 bucks I paid. My last pair were shimmy's as well and lasted 4 years. These are a little wider but just as stiff with some nice traction for hike a bike in the desert. Velcro strap holds the laces down nice nice. When I first tried them on I thought the tongue was over padded but actually is kinda nice. I think it alleviates some foot numbness as I didnt experience any like I usually do.

Purchased At:   80.00 +

Submitted by Stark a Weekend Warrior from Riverside, CA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable, sturdy, nice for walking.

Weaknesses:    not the most uber elite shoes ever made, not made out of italian albino veal skin, not "impressive" like sidi or some european made shoes or even nikes.

Bottom Line:
If I had to do it over again, I may have bought some nikes I saw at the local bike shop, but I can't really think of anything bad about the shimano shoes. At first I didn't really like them because my toes would go numb, then I loosened up the laces and the problem went away. The velcro keeps the laces out of the way and tied. I wish the cleat didn't hit the ground when I walked on concrete or any hard surface... I sound like a tap dancer if I wear them into a store after a ride.

Favorite Trail:   SART

Purchased At:   MTB warehouse

Similar Products Used:   super cheap specialized shoes when i bought my first spd clipless pedals

Bike Setup:   fisher big sur and sugar 2

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Strengths:    Quality Construction, Great Fit, Easy Clip Setup and adjustment

Weaknesses:    Can't see any yet...

Bottom Line:
This is a really great shoe for the money. It's a breeze to set up the clips and they really fit well. I'd highly recommend these shoes , especially for first-time clipless riders...

Favorite Trail:   Muleshoe

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SH M020, Specialized...

Bike Setup:   2002 Giant NRS2

Submitted by Jared a Weekend Warrior from Tempe, AZ USA!

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Strengths:    Supremo ease of useage! Tough stuff so far, I know it's still early though. Good traction for that occasional walk through the sticks to get back to that trail you have just shot off.

Weaknesses:    I have a slightly narrow foot, and the size that fit me for the first 100 miles, is now needing to be pulled a little tighter when laced up. Still not a problem as I am good at tying my own shoes!

Bottom Line:
These shoes are a great fit if you are: A rider who wants to go SPD but still wants the comforting feeling of riding with cleats on your Nikes';A rider who needs a comfortable shoe for those long walks back after a mechanical failure; A rider who can only afford one pair of shoes for work and play. They really are that comfortable. These are a good value at 80 bucks, though not a hard core XC shoe, they do the job well. No shoe is perfect though, and since these are made in China I take back one of my chilli's. Can't anyone make a shoe in America worth a crap! "Down with the Red Leader", or something like that.

Similar Products Used:   Answer, specialized, Bruno Magli

Bike Setup:   Trek FS: XT, Judy, Fox Van RL, Ritchey Pro Logic, etc.

Submitted by Ken M a Weekend Warrior from Rowville, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable, good tread for the occasional walk up a muddy hill, decent price.

Weaknesses:    Won't pedal for me.

Bottom Line:
I haven't really tried any other mountain bike shoes, but I was talked into buying these by one of the sales people and I'm glad I listened to the advise. He also managed to get me to buy a set of PD-M424 pedals to go with the shoes. It's also my first go at clipless pedals. Both shoes and pedals were taken on a tough wet and muddy ride straight away. It's amazing how easy it is to clip in and out with this shoe-pedal combination. I even had to do a bit of walking up an extremely muddy hill. We went on the same ride the week before and it was much easier this time. I'm giving the shoes the credit for that.

A bit of advice from a newbie bike rider. Get some dedicated mountain bike shoes and don't be afraid of going clipless. It makes a world of difference.

Favorite Trail:   Still Looking

Purchased At:   Jones Cycles Camberwell

Similar Products Used:   Errr, it's my first pair of true cycling shoes.

Bike Setup:   Kona Blast, Shimano PD-M424 pedals, lizard skin chainstay protector

Submitted by pedro sanderson a Weekend Warrior from albion park, nsw australia

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Strengths:    overall comfort, feeling of security, ease of clip in/out

Weaknesses:    leaks water through clips - I'm using wellgo peddles -I think Shimano supply waterproofing with their clips?

Bottom Line:
My first SPDs and a real joy right from the get go. Super light, easy, positive clip in with a solid peddling platform and an easy twist out even in unplanned dismounts. A few initial heel blisters from walking, put down to the rigid sole. Best quality materials, excellent in mud and water.

Favorite Trail:   meryla pass