Shimano Megagam MO35 Shoes

4.22/5 (23 Reviews)

Shimano Megagam MO35

Submitted by Graham Mitchell a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Western Australia

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
These shoes are very comfortable now that I've subtituted Shimano's thin insole with a meatier one out of an old pair of Brooks running shoes.
The soles and stitching have stood up well to over 2 years of the hard-baked Aussie red earth! Don't be put off by the whinging about wet weather suitabiliy; mine got soaked and caked with mud last weekend which didn't affect performance one bit.I hosed them down afterwards and they dried as quick as any other wet shoe.
Give the suade part a spray with a suitable leather protector and you're laughing.
In conjunction with my 747's they are excellent and they don't look like a bunch of posey, flash, racer-boy arse either!

Purchased At:   Bicycle Entrepreneur

Submitted by Percy a Weekend Warrior from n/a

Date Reviewed: December 26, 1999

Strengths:
the price, it's only $50 in our country, Philippines. No pain on my foot after a ride of 100km off-road

Weaknesses:
when you had stepped on water, the shoes will sink

Bottom Line:
for a weekend rider like me, the price is great and it's comfortable. it shimano can only make some plug under the shoes it'll be better.

off road, pico trinidad

less than 1 month

my first shoes with spd

stx-rc group, alu bike with rockshox jettc fork

Submitted by craig a Weekend Warrior from ontario

Date Reviewed: October 17, 1999

Strengths:
acceptable appearence

Weaknesses:
price $140 canadian

Bottom Line:
Extremly comftorable when worn with thick
socks-avoids blisters. I've never had any real problems with them getting wet either

adam's run II

3 months

first pair

giant sedona-RS jett T2

Submitted by Frank a Weekend Warrior from SDCA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 1999

Strengths:
Was nice and comfy

Weaknesses:
The soles got shredded after 7 months

Bottom Line:
I really really liked these shoes but the soles just didn't hold up. The SPD jaws shredded the soles til the stiffening material showed almost all the way to the heel of the right shoe. I bought them last April and reviewed them too in the other Megagam section. Sorry Shimano, I liked it but the durability is not there. Change the sole material and I will buy again.

C Sole 401, Spec. Sport

Submitted by Chris aka Stinky a Weekend Warrior from BC

Date Reviewed: July 14, 1999

Strengths:
Holding up well, good colors (no neon red or yellow like some other bike shoes), Good for walking.

Weaknesses:
Sole not quite stiff enough

Bottom Line:
I don't have expeirience with any other bike shoes, but they seem to be great shoes for the price. The sole could stand to be stiffer, but otherwise they are great shoes for a beginner or someone without large amounts of $$$$

The Rock Garden

2 Years

These are my first SPD shoes

Kona U'Hu, 99 Bomber Z1, set up for very aggressive xc riding

Submitted by Mike a Cross-Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1999

Strengths:
Looks, comfort

Weaknesses:
The soles are falling apart.

Bottom Line:
I bought this shoe because it was reasonably priced and didn't have any obnoxious colors. After about six months the rubber on the soles began to fall apart. They are almost unusable now and my local bike shop would not waranty them.

Too many too list

1 Year

Submitted by Rob Little a Weekend Warrior from Stockton-on-Tees

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1999

Strengths:
Comfy (when dry!), strong,

Weaknesses:
The weather!

Bottom Line:
These were the only shoes I could afford at the time I purchased the bike, otherwise I would have maybe spent a little more. Great for the summer, but forget the winter season.

Derwent Water

3 months

'99 Orange Evo O2, Pace RC36 EVO 2's

Submitted by Jkwai a Cross-Country Rider from Murfreesboro, TN

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1999

Strengths:
Good shoe for the price.

Weaknesses:
Once you get them wet, forget it.
When walking on concrete, the cleats scrape.

Bottom Line:
For the money, thses are decent. They serve their purpose exceptionally well. Shimano has a great product here, just try not to get them wet.

Lock 4 in TN

6 months

This is my first SPD shoe.

Trek Y-bike with Manitou SX
Pedals are Icon Solemate.

Submitted by g a Cross-Country Rider from TN

Date Reviewed: March 20, 1999

Strengths:
Great fit, very comfortable.

Weaknesses:
Never dry. The cleats scrape on concrete and some rock...not all surfaces, just concrete...weird.

Bottom Line:
Good if you get a good deal on them, otherwise, get the m150's.

Y-bike with Icon pedals

Submitted by Rabid Willy a Cross-Country Rider from SLC,UT

Date Reviewed: March 14, 1999

Strengths:
Comfort

Weaknesses:
Flexibility

Bottom Line:
These shoes are flexable. OK for casual riding but not the greatest for my occasional cross country race. I use these for trail riding and use Sidi Dom IIs for racing and hard training.
Still a great shoe for most of the time.

Wasatch Crest

2 Years

Sidi

97 ProFlex Beast with 636 SPDs

Submitted by Gary a cross-country rider from TN

Date Reviewed: March 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

Don't get me wrong, these are great shoes, but it always seems like at all the LBS's around, you can get something much better for only a little more money. In my case, I was hooked up so well, but if this isn't your case, get those crazy Shimano blue shoes. They are pimp.

Submitted by Bruno a racer from Canada-Beauport

Date Reviewed: February 28, 1999

Bottom Line:

They look great. They fit very well... But, for someone like me that is always in the mud, they never get dry. Ths is fot this reason that I give them 3

Submitted by RaverRave a racer from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've been using the MO 35 for about a year now and I'm almost fully satisfied. It's comfortable, has a good sole, and a more laid-back brown color, as opposed to bright red or whatever. My only complaint is that, even out of the box, my cleats were tapping on the ground. Makes me wanna get up and do a tap dance for Satan. Using this shoe with the '99 M535 pedals is an awesome combination -- I have yet to stash because I couldn't get my shoe out of the pedal, and yet at the same time I've also never had a shoe come out of the pedal accidentally, either. This is a perfect shoe/pedal combination. Five stinky hemorrhoids from me. Do it for Satan, baby!

Submitted by Dan May a weekend warrior from Nashville TN

Date Reviewed: January 4, 1999

Bottom Line:

The MO-35 is a comfortable shoe it also has a good entry-exit with the m535 pedal.(see my m535 review)it is not expensive. A very good deal for the money because it works well in all conditions.

Submitted by a cross-country rider from GA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I could not be more pleased with these shoes. They are incredibly comfortable. Not only are they very easy to clip in with, but they are great for short hikes. I rode forty something miles with these, no blisters, no soreness.