Shimano M221 Shoes

4.08/5 (26 Reviews)

A high performance off-road racing shoe featuring a carbon fiber-reinforced plate in the outsole that transfers all your energy straight to the pedals, and an aggressive tread with toe spikes that provides all the traction you need for run-ups. Shape-retention padding, rubber heel support and sole extension toe protector enhance comfort and durability. Buckle strap plus a twin hook-and-loop straps assure a custom, comfortable fit.

Submitted by xcbyker a Cross Country Rider from Foutain, Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Well made, very stiff. A real solid performer!!

Weaknesses:    I have found no weeknesses with this shoe? If I had a complaint it would be the weight, although the weight does not bother me.

Bottom Line:
This is a older model Shimano shoe, I got these shoes about two and half years ago, I wear them with my road bike and my Mountainbike, they perform flawlessly. I know there are better made shoes out there, but for the price I paid they are an awsome deal!! I use them 4 to 6 times per week, they have never let me down Ever!! Shimano ROCKS!!!

Favorite Trail:   Falcon trail AFA

Purchased At:   velo swap, Denver, C

Similar Products Used:   specialized shoes, anwser shoes, lower level shimano shoes

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown, full XTR, Fox front fork, Time atac pedals, panaracer rampage tires, easton carbon seatpost and haddlebar.

Submitted by Robert Bowers a Cross Country Rider from Gold Coast _Queensland_Australia

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff

Weaknesses:    Purchased same size as the carbon soled Shimano road shoes and they seem a half size to large (bike shop attendant tried to tell me that MTB shoes were supposed to be that way-right). After three months the blue material disintegrated in the heel cup. After six months the buckle forever comes loose and needs to be tighted one or two clicks per hour. At eight months the rubber toes began to fall off. They have not enough arch support and I suffer excrutiateing pain in both big toes after three hours riding/racing. Heavy. Developed a stench when wet like no other shoes I've owned.

Bottom Line:
For such an expensive shoe, and in comparasion to my carbon Shimano road shoes (same sizeing but actually comfortable), they are not a patch on my old Gaernes. These shoes just like my Nikes look "flash" but under perform and fell apart quite quickly. They might be stiff, which was what I was hoping for, but they are my most regretable shoe purchase ever.

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Purchased At:   Ryders

Similar Products Used:   Carnac, Gaerne, Lake, Nike

Bike Setup:   20lb 7005 hardtail Fox F110X, XTR drive train, EC90bar and ct2 seat pillar, alloy discs, Formula B4SL discs, Stan Olympic rims, my own latex brew in my Conti Explorer Supersoniics and American Classic hubset.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Chicago,IL

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2005

Strengths:    Incredibly stiff. I haven't experienced any of the other rider's complaints regarding this shoe's reliability. I broke a buckle during a crash, and easily replaced it after my dealer ordered the part from Shimano.

Weaknesses:    The shoe's stiffnes can result in some foot numbness during long climbs. This condition can be easily remedied with the insertion of a quality insole like Surefoot.

Bottom Line:
You can't find a better performing shoe for the price. I just purchased the newer Shimano M225 at an incredible price of $85.00.

Favorite Trail:   Spincycle,Park City, UT

Similar Products Used:   Nike

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude, full XTR, Fox Float RLC

Submitted by Leonard a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ont, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2005

Strengths:    They are stiff.

Weaknesses:    Buckles, Materials, Weight

Bottom Line:
My 6 year old Sidi's look in better shape then these. Both heels are wore right out. There very heavy compared to other high end shoes. I realized that today trying on new ones. Buckle broke going up a steep incline. Both feet get sore after a couple of hours in them. I never had sore feet before. This may be due to them being so stiff, I'm not sure. Funny thing today in all the LBS's I was in. When I told them that I dislikes these Shimano's and had issues with them, they all opened up and said yeah they had got alot of complaints about them. Retail cost is now up to $280.00 can. Way too much!

Similar Products Used:   Sidi & Lakes

Submitted by john grayer a Cross Country Rider from nz

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2005

Strengths:    racers shoe stiff and hopefully lasts a while too

Weaknesses:    dont know yet looks like i paid heaps this was on sale to

Bottom Line:
good shoe look good and stiff,stiff,stiff have not used in a race yet but it seems they should be up to the challange i hope.

Purchased At:   john bull

Similar Products Used:   lakes lots o budget shoes.

Bike Setup:   heavey kona

Submitted by Jeffrey Zelek a Racer from Newington

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2005

Strengths:    Hight Zoot

Weaknesses:    Ratchet mechanism broke! Now faced with trying finding this part as a spare is not provided with the shoe. This is the shoes weakest link. If the racket straps wear out you are screwed. A replacable quality velcro strap would be much better. Ratchet mechanism also clogs in mud and you can not get the shoe off. This really sucks if you are cold and wet. Your fingers can not work well in the cold and you are forced to rip the shoe off your foot.

Bottom Line:
Would rather by 3 pairs of cheaper shoes and have a dry pair and a spare.

Favorite Trail:   West Hartford Res

Purchased At:   web

Similar Products Used:   Lake

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel Disc - typical race set up, XTR, blah blah blah

Submitted by Robert Bowers a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2005

Strengths:    stiff

Weaknesses:    no arch support, ordered 42s (same as my carbon Shimano road shoes) but they feel like 43s, velcro backing to stiff and hard to keep tight, ratchet comes loose, have had mold problems unlike any others shoes I've ever had, and expensive way to get a stiff shoe

Bottom Line:
I don't know why I've persited for so long with these shoes. Next time I'll buy Italian shoes, probably Carnac or Vittoria. For a top of the line shoe the M221s have cheap material and poor shape. Stiffness is the only thing going for them and if I hadn't paid so much for them I'd have tossed them two years ago.

Similar Products Used:   Carnac, Lake and Gaerne

Bike Setup:   Time ATACCs

Submitted by Lindsay Mitchell from Alta Loma, CA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff Sole, Good Sturdy Uppers, Toe Spikes

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any.

Bottom Line:
I've had these shoes for over two years and they are fantastic. I picked up my first pair for $110 and my second pair today for $50. These shoes are fantastic! You can pick them up pretty cheep now because Shimano discontinued them.

Purchased At:   Incycle

Submitted by Pablo Varhola a Racer from Quito, Ecuador

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2004

Strengths:    Very stiff sole, efficient buckle, great fit, shape is retained after the worst conditions, great look and style, for the price you get twice compared to a Sidi.

Weaknesses:    Velcro straps are way too stiff to tighten properly, a couple of graphics on the shoe erase too easily.

Bottom Line:
After several races with these shoes, I realize that they actually make a difference in performance. The stiffness of the carbon sole is no joke, and the toe spikes are very usefull in foot climbs where you need traction. This shoes are specifically for the rider in search of performance. Save your bucks if you are looking only for a common shoe.

Favorite Trail:   Ecuadorian Andes Mountains trails

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Answer Palisade, Shimano m020.

Bike Setup:   Zenith Saga Team/ Easton scandium frame. XTR, mavic, etc.

Submitted by Hendra a Weekend Warrior from Bali, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, stiff carbon reinforced soles, good fine tune adjustable fit, reflective details, removeable toe spikes, good hand feel syntethic material used. Delivers efficient pedalling power. Work well with my PD-M545 pedal

Weaknesses:    almost nothing until now, except need more air vent, and the two carbon+velcro straps are too stiff to be adjusted.

Bottom Line:
This is a pro XC class shoe, I actually bought this shoes because it's got good reviews in mtbr.com, almost no weaknesses, and just $85 in Indo:):) for a pair of top end bike shoes from Shimano:):)
These shoes are good for serious XC racer or just enthusiast biker who want to get more serious in MTB like me:):)

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere dusty and rocky around Bali island

Purchased At:   Rodalink

Similar Products Used:   nothing in this range of price. Shimano MX-70

Bike Setup:   Da Bomb Cherry Bomb

Submitted by Big Smiley a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne,Australia

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2004

Strengths:    Nice stiff sole, Shimano design outer means no problems with shaving bits of sole off to accept pedals. Durable straps. Come with cleats already installed.

Weaknesses:    The fit is not for someone with a wide foot. Ratcheting buckle is easy to damage(I haven't done mine in yet, but like any buckle they can get a rock bashing). If it rains, you're going to end up wet.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic shoe for the price. The cheapest carbon sole shoe out there. I can't comment on the performance from the other brands, but it seems they're much the same thing for alot more money.

Very stiff sole and surprisingly comfortable once they're bedded in. On that note, mine did take a good couple of weeks to truly become supple.

Fit-wise they're medium-narrow. Certainly not as narrow as many of the italian shoes out there.

So far, i don't have any complaints, they haven't worn out prematurely and nothing has broken. In fact, all i've done is slip them on and off without a thought for a year. What more can you ask for..

Favorite Trail:   Always looking for a new one!

Similar Products Used:   Northwaves, specialized(shop fitting only)

Bike Setup:   2004 VT2

Submitted by david a Cross Country Rider from athens, ga

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Strengths:    stiff sole, good velcro and ratcheting system, wide toebox

Weaknesses:    ventilation is poor

Bottom Line:
good power transfer, good quality
feet get real hot, $170 price is $70 too high

tried to buy at local bike store, but they did not want to help me

Favorite Trail:   heritage

Purchased At:   colorado cyclist

Submitted by Davis - www.gapriders.com a Racer from San Jose, CA USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Strengths:    -Stiff
-Easy to put on
-Light
-Quality

Weaknesses:    -Not the most comfortable shoes to be walking in
-No choices on colors

Bottom Line:
Overall, the M221 are awesome shoes. It's less expensive than the Italian brand(SIDI) for about the same quality. Putting the shoes on was a snap. I had trouble putting on the SIDIs. These shoes are very hard to find. If you see these shoe at your LBS, better get them.

Purchased At:   MTBR classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Nike and less expensive Shimano shoes

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Bullit & Yeti A.R.C w/ mostly Shimano and Raceface components.

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from East Coast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2004

Strengths:    Very durable - lasted two years.
Stiff carbon sole.

Weaknesses:    Not well ventilated.

Bottom Line:
This is a great shoe. Very durable and stiff. I did break the buckle ratcheting system when I clipped it on a rock but it was easily replaced. ( carrying a spare for epic rides/trips might be a good idea ) At $170 they are a lot cheaper than other companies high zoot shoes. If I had one complaint it would be that they are not very well ventilated and as a result get pretty hot in the Summer but that is nick-picking at this point.

Favorite Trail:   anything with rocks

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by L Brown from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2004

Strengths:    --Super stiff carbon fiber sole
--High quality
--Ratcheting buckle for snug fit
--Quality construction

Weaknesses:    --High price--I did not get the deals that others did who posted below
--Velcro--how long can velcro really last? I guess you could have it replaced at a shoe store...
--Insole--for 170, you should get a really good insole, but it is better than the thin cheap insert Sidi uses

Bottom Line:
As the top of the line Shimano shoes, I feel they are a very respectable product. Consider the Sidi Dragons as their competition, and for $110 (retail) less, they come out ahead. Both have stiff carbon fiber plates for rigidity, but the rubber on the Shimano soles will grip much better. Don't be fooled by the Sidi replacable soles. You can have any sole (Vibram, etc) put on your bike shoes by a shoe repair store. They will be of much better quality than the original soles, and WAY better than the Sidi SRS system, at equal or similar prices.
If you have the cash and they fit, buy them.