Shimano M080 Shoes

3.58/5 (12 Reviews)

A rugged performance-oriented off-road shoe featuring cup-molded inner sole for enhanced comfort and fit. Hard rubber sole features a high-grip block tread pattern and raised sections to provide better protection for the toe, heel and side of the foot.

Submitted by Steve Johnson from Port Angleles, WA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2005

Strengths:    Easy in and out. Ankle coverage and support. WATERPROOF! Stiff enough sole. Just enough tread for the trail but not too much for the street. Well built.

Weaknesses:    They don't make them any more. Color and no cool factor.

Bottom Line:
This is the best all-round shoe I've ever owned. The last fits my foot perfectly. I live on the sun/dry challenged Olympic Peninsula. I use these shoes for everything except racing. The industry has shied away from shoes that offer ankle protection. This makes no sense in a world where the bikes are able to traverse nasty terrain at ever greater speeds. Specialized has just released the buzz-saw at $140.00 which isn't waterproof. I'd rather have 4 pairs of these. Get them if you can find them. Don't get them if you are more worried about being cool than having an awesome shoe.

Favorite Trail:   Limbo

Purchased At:   Probably Online

Similar Products Used:   AXO, Specialized, Shimano, Lake.

Bike Setup:   Two Intenses: Trick tracer(5.5 Odin+ rear/6" Firefly+ front); Uzzi SLX soon to have Fox 40RC2 on it. Trek commuter bike, Sampson Ti road bike.

Submitted by Adam Davidson a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2004

Strengths:    Tight fit. Stylish. Easy adjustment for cleats. Solid sole.

Weaknesses:    Awkward to walk in due to stiff sole

Bottom Line:
These are my first SPD shoes. So far I have had no real problems. They are awkward to walk in but I bought them to ride, so I won't grumble too much! They look great and for £20 I can't complain. The velcro fastners allow a comfortable, secure fitting and means that you can keep your gloves on when adjusting them.
As I am a noob to SPD's I would recomend these shoes to anyone like me, new to SPD. I cycle about 7 miles to work every day and these shoes have been great.

Purchased At:   New from an Ebay Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trainers/Boots with toe straps

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche. Standard apart from Shimano M520 Peadals.

Submitted by Allison from Newfoundland

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    cheaper than my last shoes
sturdy
work well with time pedals

Weaknesses:    narrow

Bottom Line:
These shoes are okay, they're not nice on my blistered feet though. Mine are very very narrow compared to other shoes at the same size, but I have wide feet. Much sturdier than the louis garneau shoes that I had.

Similar Products Used:   louis garneau something or another

Submitted by Fluffy a Cross Country Rider from Belgium

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Strengths:    Comfy, click in and out easily with Shimano pedals,cheap

Weaknesses:    Sole does wear fast, no spikes

Bottom Line:
I have been riding and racing them for over 2 years now. The sole has some rubber missing, but it's not too bad. They are comfortable enough to walk in, but don't have enough grip on climbs. My M220's are a lot better for racing. When you have to run up a muddy hill, the M220's provide enough grip thanks to the spikes. When it's dry, the M220's are a pain to walk in since they're too stiff. So on races when it's dry and there's a chance I have to get off the bike, I use the M080's. But I use them mostly on training rides...
The M080's should have spikes.

Purchased At:   Van Eyck

Similar Products Used:   Sidi, Northwave, other Shimano shoes

Submitted by GREG S a Weekend Warrior from ST .PAUL, MN USA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2001

Strengths:    COMFORT. EASY VELCRO CLOSURES. GOOD TRACTION WHEN WALKING. THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT, OFF-ROAD SHOE.

Weaknesses:    THE RUBBER ON THESE SHOES IS TERRIBLE. I HAVE PUT ABOUT ONE HUNDRED MILES ON THE SHOES, AND THEY ARE WORN DOWN TO THE PLASTIC. THE TOES ARE GONE. I DIDN'T GET NEARLY AS MUCH RIDING IN LAST YEAR AS USUAL, BUT IF I DID, THEN I WOULD HAVE NEEDED NEW SHOES.

Bottom Line:
GREAT DESIGN. POOR MATERIAL. I'VE HAD SHIMANO M535 PEDALS FOR MORE THAN FOUR YEARS, AND THEY HAVE BEEN INDESTRUCTABLE. I BOUGHT THE SHOES BECAUSE I LIKED THE PEDALS SO MUCH, BUT WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS. A SALESMAN AT THE BIKE SHOP ALSO SAID HE USED THEM FOR RACING. I GUESS IF YOU DON'T MIND BUYING NEW SHOES TWO OR THREE TIMES PER YEAR THEY'RE GREAT, BUT I'M ON A BUDGET. I'LL HAVE TO READ THE SHOE REVIEWS CLOSELY AND FIND SOME BETTER ONES.

Favorite Trail:   MILACA & LUTSEN, MN

Purchased At:   RICE STREET BIKE

Similar Products Used:   I'E HAD ANOTHER PAIR OF SHIMANO SHOES(DIFFERENT MODEL) THAT LASTED FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS OF HARD RIDING. THE RUBBER WORE OUT ON THESE, BUT NOT NEARLY AS SOON.

Bike Setup:   MY RIDE FOR THE PAST SIX YEARS WAS A CANNONDALE M-300(EVERYTHING BUT THE FRAME WAS UPGRADED ONCE OR TWICE-AND I WOULD STILL BE RIDING IT EXCEPT THERE ARE REALY NO GOOD SUSPENSION FORKS AVAILABLE). THIS YEAR I HAVE A NEW TREK, FUEL 90. THERE'E A LITTLE TOO MUCH SNOW TO TRY IT RIGHT NOW, BUT I WILL SOON.

Submitted by Rich C a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2000

Strengths:    Easy Fastening, 2 velcro straps. Stiff sole (no flex) recessed spd clip, easy to walk in. Nice colours to match my bike

Weaknesses:    Scuffs easily, red and yellow shoes makes you feel like a wasp

Bottom Line:
Great shoes - I am really happy with these shoes. Great feel of the bike due to stiff sole and no flex. Decent tread on the bottom so great for running up those impossible hills. Very bright (you will get noticed) but luckily for me match my red and yellow Klein perfectly (must be turning into a fashion victim)
EASY access due to just 2 velcro straps. A great product and as it is 2000 shoe hopefully glue problem is sorted out.

Favorite Trail:   Tokai Forest

Similar Products Used:   only cheap Specialised BMX spd shoes

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude, Pace fork Avid Brakes XT bits and SHIM 545 pedals

Submitted by Dave Ferreira a Racer from Sammamish, WA USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2000

Strengths:    I got these shoes on closeout at REI in July. After 410 miles of road biking, I'm still pretty happy with them. They are comfy for biking and strong. No unexpected signs of wear. I wear them with and without socks.

Weaknesses:    The first time I had to walk in them (about 1 mile), they cut gashes in the back of my heels (no socks). After breaking them in and with socks, it's not too back, but beware walking in them.

Bottom Line:
These shoes are a great value under, say, $80. I got them for something like $55 on closeout. I think they've been discontinued or renamed or something.

Favorite Trail:   Sammamish River Trail

Purchased At:   REI (closeout)

Bike Setup:   Fuji road bike.

Submitted by vincent a Cross Country Rider from waterloo ont canada

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2000

Strengths:    got 50 dollars off
comfortable stiff sole
well ventilaled

Weaknesses:    rubber tread wears off quickly

Bottom Line:
this is a good shoe for begginig to intermidiat riders and are comfortable to walk in

Favorite Trail:   hydrocut

Bike Setup:   speacilized pedals

Submitted by scott silvers a Cross Country Rider from novi

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Strengths:    good ventilation,easy on/off velcro, neon-free

Weaknesses:    sole delamination/peeling, rubber tread chunks off

Bottom Line:
I have wide feet and really liked the fit. So I guess the narrow feet people can wear'em too. I really like the velcro closures - laces are a pain in the arse. I have raced and abused this shoe for two years, but I am forced to find a new shoe because the sole is coming apart. It is so bad that these shoes could be dangerous in some terrains and situations. Hope they modified their sole for 2000???
If they did, I would recommend this shoe. If not, why bother, spend 70 dollars more and get sidi's - I will this time..............

Favorite Trail:   Highland Rec. &Novi Tree Farm

Similar Products Used:   shimano m55 mid hightop, basketball shoes

Bike Setup:   shimano 535 pedals

Submitted by Dan a Cross-Country Rider from Oakville, Ontario

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2000

Strengths:
Stylin' lookin, stiff sole, warm, and cheap (for me)

Weaknesses:
no grip on slippery rocks

Bottom Line:
Considering i only paid 105$ Canadian for them, They are best for a narrow foot such as mine, securly fastened with the two velcro straps, and very confortable, these shoes are worth it ONLY for the 2000 model, where previous problems with the glue around the cleats caused it to fall apart often. Overall, for 2000, a excellent shoe.

Kelso

less than 1 month

airwalks and specialized

1998 Schwinn Moab w/ all xt and Judy T2, ritchey pedals

Submitted by shunkmon a cross-country rider from Scottsdale

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just read a review of this shoe stating exactly what I was going to say. I can't believe how fast I lost the rubber on my toe! It must be an extremely soft compound because it DISSOLVES! I've had these shoes 3 months now, but after the first few times I had to do any hiking up the steeps I noticed extreme wear. Now there's nothing there but plastic. Very slippery, and uncomfortable. I had a pair of Shimanos for 6 years that aren't worn as much as these. If it weren't for that problem, I'd give these shoes an average rating. They fit OK, but not snug enough to not get some heal lift. But because of the excessive wear, I'm giving the 1 star minimum, but wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Submitted by Ian a cross-country rider from NH

Date Reviewed: December 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

The shoes were my first SPD shoe, so it was a learning experience. But as I learned, I started to pick up on the fact that these shows are not as good as the bike shop plugged them. And for $85 there are better shoes out there.
1st - they are not very comfortable, 2 velcro closures and made for a narrow foot. They constantly feel loose around my heal. Laces or a third strap would be a big improvement
2nd - the treads look great, until you ride them off road for a few miles, the rubberized soles , except at the lugs under the heal and under the ball of the foot, are pealing off, I have a bright yellow shoe sole under my toes and under the mid-sole of my foot, I lost all traction under the toes and now have to walk almost flatfotted or sidestep up the steeps. Running up the steeps tore off the front sole of my shoe!