Shimano M 058 Shoes

4.61/5 (18 Reviews)

Off-Road Sport/Touring Shoe

• 3/4 Upper, lace up with one hook and loop strap closure Wide sole with aggressive tread, removable SPD plate
  • Black with grey upper
  • Expeditionary / Fun riding
  • Sizes: 36-48 (whole sizes only)
  • Recommended pedals: PD-M545, PD-M536

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Tim D. a Cross Country Rider from Humboldt, CA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2007

Strengths:    Durable, comfortable, durable, compliant for walking, did I say durable?

Weaknesses:    None noted

Bottom Line:
    I first purchased these shoes in '01 to replace a crappy set of nikes which lasted all of about a year before they disintegrated. I paid full price for the Shimanos at REI. They don't give you a break on their good stuff.

These shoes have held up through six years of year round riding on two different mtbs and my road bike too. They have only just now begun to break down to the lowest common denominator.

I have certainly gotten my money's worth out of these shoes. I would recommend them to anybody, but in spite of their incredible durability, Shimano has discontinued them. Maybe that's why...

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Nike gnuba

Bike Setup:   two mtb's and a roadie with the same shoes.

Submitted by J.C. a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2005

Strengths:    Very comfortable without needing an extra insole. Good durability and ease of cleaning. Tread wear rate is average. Cleat plate seems strong.

Weaknesses:    Pricey and I found them hard to find at LBS's.

Bottom Line:
    Great shoes at a not-so great price. Wish there were more options in mid or high-cut upper shoes to compare to. I like the look of the original black on black, not sure if they still make it.

Favorite Trail:   Industrial Disease

Purchased At:   Evolution

Similar Products Used:   Nike Crapbahs, Crapbah II's, Scott 4x4's

Bike Setup:   Numerous bikes with Shimano 747's, 535's and now Crank Bros. Mallet C's. The CB plates fit with no problems.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2004

Strengths:    For a Shimano they fit very well.
    Strongly made abd real quality
    Good stiff sole and hardwearing grippy rubber.
    Easy to engage using SPD's.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
    Great shoes. I bought them as a kind of stop gap because the shop didn't have my size in a quality racing shoe. I've ridden these ever since. For me they perform as good as a racing boot but they are comfortable, warm, pretty waterproof, have great grip for getting off in the slime and well made. These have lasted me no problem for 2 years of real hard riding and they'll last another 2 years easy.
    And they also look good. Dont understand how Shimano can call this a touring shoe...OK you can walk well in them but they perform like they should on the bike.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel with the usual appendages.

Submitted by Rod a Cross Country Rider from the U.K.

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Strengths:    Well made and stiff. Good sole that's strong and with grip. Also the ability to walk/climb off of the bike when needed.

Weaknesses:    Slightly expensive.

Bottom Line:
    These are great shoes and will perform nearly as well as full-on racing shoes. But they are versatile and allow you to clamber up slopes, carrying your bike, in the sort of mud that we get here in the U.K. They are strong and well designed and manufactured and seem not to suffer from the too tight a fit that is frequently the case with Shimano shoes.
    I'm surprised that Shimano seem to "down-play" the worth of these shoes for they are, in my opinion, one of the best pairs of "real" mountain biking shoes they have produced. Even the ankle supports work.
    Recommended!

Purchased At:   Cyclehub.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Shimano everything, Specialized Comp, adidas, Sidi.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Strengths:    Well Made, Double Stitching, Comfort

Weaknesses:    Not exactly light.

Bottom Line:
    These shoes are far better than the "Expeditionary / Fun Use" label gives them credit for. These shoes will stand up to trail abuse no probs. I find them to be very comfortable with excellent support. They breathe quite well too due to the venting material used on the sides.

Bottom line is I would buy them again when mine wear out...
    4 Chilis (I rarely give 5 chilis unless the product is truely exceptional)

Favorite Trail:   Gap Creek

Bike Setup:   Avanti ADX450
    (Can't be bothered listing the full spec)

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from Upstate New York

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2004

Strengths:    Ankle support, style, stiff sole for riding but, not to stiff for walking.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find. They are a bit pricey though. I got a great deal on line.

Bottom Line:
    I had a concern ordering on line because I usually have problems fitting shoes. I take a size 9 and usually wide. I ordered the size 43 and they fit like a glove. Very comfortable. I don't think they are too heavy. I wanted something with a bit of ankle support and I'm very pleased with these. Very easy to clip in and out. I hope they wear as well as they look. I wore them today on a 3 hour road ride on my MTB and had no problems at all.

Favorite Trail:   Newark Valley

Purchased At:   Beyondbikes

Similar Products Used:   Performance, Lake

Bike Setup:   Older model Cannondale, Richtey Pro V3 pedals

Submitted by Matthew a Cross Country Rider from Rochester Hills, MI

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2004

Strengths:    support, style and initial comfort, construction

Weaknesses:    long-ride (2+ hrs) comfort is very poor

Bottom Line:
    I like the styling and the support from the stiff sole, and they feel great for about two hours, then both feat start to ache near the balls of the feat. Can't go much past two hours without serious discomfort. Pretty bummed about it. Otherwise I like them. I thought they would have worked in a little and stretched out by now, but they have held their shape, I guess due to their hearty construcition. I had an older pare of Shimano low-tops that velcroed shut that were awesomely comfortable. I thought these lace-up, high-tops would provide enough width for my 8.5EEE foot, alas, I was mistaken. I'd probably be three thumbs up if my feet were skinnier.

Favorite Trail:   Nepaug

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M072 (?)

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky Deelux, 'Custom' 5"/5" Jekyll

Submitted by Domeatomic a Weekend Warrior from Boston

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, well made, wide and comfortable, solid stiff sole but you can still walk.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent shoes!
    Biking shoes should be comfortable, so many of Shimano's are way too tight. These are great. They're well made and stiff enough to give real performance. If you can get them for the sort of price I did thru Cycle1st.com then you're grinning big style!

Purchased At:   Cycle1st.com

Similar Products Used:   You name it!

Submitted by dino a Cross Country Rider from T.O. CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Strengths:    Very comfortable, well-constructed; lace and velcro for fine adjustability.

Weaknesses:    Haven't yet found

Bottom Line:
    I just bought these shoes and have ridden them only twice, but can tell they are going to be the best fitting, most comfortable MTBing shoes I've ever had. I usually don't spend this much on shoes, but as I'm sure many of you have found out, there's hardly a more important component than a really good pair of shoes. And for me, these are the ones. I'm being a bit conservative with the rating, mainly because I'm a cheapskate; but, if you like comfortable shoes, try these on at least.

Favorite Trail:   the one with dirt all over it

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Nike, Specialized, Diadora, Axo

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Expert w/SPD 535's

Submitted by Drew K a Downhiller from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Strengths:    Very comfortable Freeride/Downhill/all around shoe.
    -Stiff plate in the outsole
    -2003 model has cool all black design (check Shimano website - the gray upper is pre-2003)
    -Double loop design (on heel and tongue) to pull shoe on with ease.
    -Sticky wide sole for any hike-a-bike sections
    -3/4 upper prevents any ankle biters, great protection!!

Weaknesses:    None for my style - will post if any occur.
    -[Just to be fair and unbiased] these aren't for cross-country racers or riders looking for a hard, thin outer sole, these have wide, meaty, aggressive rubber tread.

Bottom Line:
    If you’re looking for a shoe that's geared towards freeride/ downhill this is it.
    -Doesn't look like a narrow cross-country race or road shoe, much more comfortable
    -Wide gripping meaty sole for those of us who don't have skinny feet. Great for the hike-a-bike sections and platform pedals. (If you’re not hike-a-biking once in a while the mountain's not steep enough). First weekend out was in mud during a storm in Flagstaff and I didn't slip once (Thanks Crank Brother's Mallet pedals-see post).
    -Very comfortable all day shoe. I can wear them the remainder of the day even after riding for hours.

4-chili value is for price. They're a bit high for recreational clipless shoes. Drop them $20-25 and they'd be on target. Since I haven't found any other good clipless recreational shoes this comfortable... I'll give it 5 chili's overall.

Favorite Trail:   Sunset, Rocky Ridge, Schultz Creek (Flagstaff, AZ)

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Adidas, AXO, shimano racer style

Bike Setup:   Specialized, Marzocchi JR T, Crank Brother's Mallet pedals (ROCK!!)

Submitted by Chris from Minneapolis, MN. USA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable!!, Style (this photo is not the current model go to Shimano.com for that) they're warm, and they look like a Mountain Bike should. Plus if you have to hike it, these things will definitely get you both up the hill and down.

Weaknesses:    Last year's model (see current photo) was not that great in appearance but they fixed that and now the shoe just plain rocks!! Doesn't look like some foo-foo road shoe.

Bottom Line:
    If you want to look like you belong on a Mountain bike then get these. If you want to get some of the other shoes that look like road shoes, then get a road bike and post on the road bike review site. These shoes are beefy and will hold up very well...did I mention comfortability?

Favorite Trail:   The Road to Nowhere

Purchased At:   rei

Similar Products Used:   Nike, Cannondale

Bike Setup:   See Shimano pedal M324 or Trek 4100 post (I get tired posting it; gotta save my energy for riding).

Submitted by Bob the Builder a Weekend Warrior from Bristol

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, Stiff, Comfortable and well made. Good grip off road

Weaknesses:    Nothing really, I caught the piping on the side which tagged a bit but so what.

Bottom Line:
    A really good pair of shoes. They do what they're supposed to.I've battered mine so far and there's no wear.I use mine with Shimano pedals which is primarily what they're designed for and they do the business. My mate runs them with egg-beaters and they're great. I like the way these have some width. So many of Shimano shoes are way too narrow. These are properly comfortable. And I got them at a great price thru Cycle1st.com so I'm feeling good.........Recommend.

Favorite Trail:   Karrimore

Purchased At:   Cycle1st.com

Similar Products Used:   You name it!

Bike Setup:   Marin Rift Zone/MarzocchiXC Comp ETA/XT/and Deore/959s/ Easton add ons.

Submitted by Dusty a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    Hard wearing upper, stiff, comfy

Weaknesses:    Ugly, heavy, useless treads, expensive

Bottom Line:
    I use these for the odd weekend ride, and commuting to work each day but I don't walk far in these - especially as they're not pretty in the looks department. They protect your ankles and have good grip to start with.

However, I can't recommend them at all because the soft rubber treads wear out very quickly and have worn my Time ATAC cleats away. There is no point in replacing the cleats as they will stand proud, and wear away in double-quick time, and that's not what I bought them for.

If they were cheap then after a year I wouldn't mind, but dispite the uppers looking almost pristine, I will have to retire these to the rubbish bin. I will be buying some sporty types with metal stud protectors in future.

Favorite Trail:   Anything