Shimano 210 Shoes Shoes

3.9/5 (30 Reviews)

Shimano 210 Shoes

Submitted by Sean a cross-country rider from CA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bougth some of these about a month ago. I love the liner around my ankle, it keeps crap out and feels great. The spikes give great hiking traction for those terrible uphill climbs. Soles get great traction in mud. I do have a few complaints though. They seem to attract mud, and it took me damn near a half hour to clean them out well enough to clip in again. Also, where I live, theres a lot of places where you have to get off your bike and climb. Why arent there any chairlifts in socal?! Anyway, when hiking for a long time, the sides of my feet start to ache a little, not too bad, but enough to piss me off a little. A lot of people say the sole comes off to early, 1 month of hard riding almost every day has gone by and everythings in one piece. Overall- 4 chillys

Submitted by Derek Haden a weekend warrior from Brandon Suffolk, UK

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is my second review of these shoes, as I have used them now for almost a year I thought it may interest prospective buyers.As I said the shoes are now almost a year old, they have performed almost faultlessly in that time. My original review complained of cold feet. After talking to other M210 owners it is a common complaint, they offer very little protection from the rain, in fact no protection, the water just floods in. I am now looking for a second pair of shoes to use in poor weather.It's rather sad that such technically brilliant shoes are spoilt by inadequate weather protection. I still give them a 4 though, because when it's dry they work brillliantly.

Submitted by maTT a racer from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

Shoes are about fiitng your feet and these ones fit my feet perfectly. They are naroow in the forefoot and snug in the heel. I've been trainig and racing in mine for two years now and they are hold ing up great, because I've taken good care of them by wiping them off and air drying them after dirty rides. The soles aren't even starting to fall off. I wish Shimano still made this shoe because it is the best fittinf shoe for skinny feet that I have found

Submitted by Stuart a racer from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

These shoes aren't too bad if you use them as summer shoes. They're well ventilated (which makes them good summer shoes and bad winter shoes - but you can't have everything). They're pretty narrow - I don't have super wide feet, but they would be mighty uncomfortable on someone that did. I haven't had any of the durability issues that other people have been writing about. I got them in early autumn, I've worn them all through the winter (the sprigs and aggressive trad pattern really helped out) and they're still going strong.

Submitted by alz a cross-country rider from Glasgow,Scotland

Date Reviewed: September 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

The only problem with these shoes so far has been when your feet get wet, and they do easily through the mesh uppers although this is good on a hot day (of which these are few and far between here) to keep your feet cool, your heels tend to slip out a bit due to there only being two velcro straps holding your feet in and the heel padding holds a lot of water which takes ages to dry out then smells, the only remedy for this so far is washing powder in a bucket. As these have been my first pair of SPD's I will give them 3 chillies and don't have any thing to match them against. See ya later!

Submitted by Richard K a cross-country rider from MY

Date Reviewed: September 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

ridden 1000km on the shoes, about 250km XC. Have to wear about 1/2 a size larger due to wide feet. My first pair of clipless shoes so I cant compare with other makes. Like them cause of the mesh and easy to clean . though after 30 km my feet go numb cause its a bit too narrow. The sole is beginning to separate from the top, the glue is giving up. Probably can be glued again so 3 chillies.

Submitted by Taylor a cross-country rider from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am glad to see they took these shoes of the market. I no longer consider myself to be the owner of Shimano shoes but rather cobbler specials. They are currently visiting the cobbler for the 6th time in almost a year. So far each trip had been a learning experience and often a different cobbler as I get turned away after a while because even though I try to clean them they still stink.Anyway a summary of my trips:
1. a little bit of stitching came undone, so I just had that done up
2. oh more stitching, oh well just have that done
3. More stitching &?%&?%%?, I had the whole shoe re-done.
4. Third time was to have a Velcro strap strengthened
5. The rubber soles came off so the cobbler put on hiking soles and did a great job; they look kinda cool too
6. Turns out the stiff sole does not take glue that well so my buddy the cobbler is nailing them on as I write (hope it works).Now why would I go to all this trouble, well I am determined that I should at least get a year out of a pair of shoes. Also the shoes fit me so well I don't want to give them up. In the end it would have been better for me to have simply coughed up the extra cash (not that these are cheap shoes) and bought better shoes. Anyone considering Shimano should make sure that the stitching has improved and they have found a glue that works or made the sole in such a way that it would not come off.

Submitted by kevin jeffrey a cross-country rider from Subdury ON. Canada

Date Reviewed: June 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

actualy i have the 150 not the 210. they were discontinued in 98. super stiff. light. fits nice. one big problem, if you live in rockey landslike sudbury your soles will rip off. the 150 and 210 have the same soles. i've went for three good rides and i am bringing my shoes back for a refund cause the soles are falling apart into shreds. pathetic. don't buy them if you like your soles atached to your shoes.
kevin jeffrey

Submitted by Will a cross-country rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: March 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have had these shoes for 2.5 years, soles are worn but shoe has held up. Usually log 2500-3000km/year on my mountain bike, with an occasional mountain bike race thrown in. I would recommend these shoes to anyone, but they may have been discontinued by Shimano. The only thing to watch for is the heel counter or support,it's not very stiff and individuals who have an abnormal gait or stance on the bike could probably ruin the heel section

Submitted by Derek Haden a weekend warrior from Brandon, Suffolk, United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: January 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

The 210's were a Xmas present from my wife. Damn good present!This is the second pair of MTB shoes I have owned, (the previous pair were from Performance). The 210's Fit very very well, despite the very tight fit they are extremely comfortable. Getting in and out of them is real easy as the top of the shoe opens right up, this helps make the fit so good. The soles are as stiff as a very stiff thing. My pedalling action has improved, and I seem to be able to lay down more power. I have one complaint, my feet get very cold, even wearing Neoprene spats over the top my toes get cold, and I suspect the Mesh area around the toes will offer little protection from mud and water.My overall impression is of a well designed, well constructed, and good value shoe.

Submitted by Grant a weekend warrior from North Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've had these shoes for almost a year and have found them to be extremely durable considering a good chunk of the riding season here is in wet, muddy conditions. I have somewhat problematic feet and have found that they have been extremely comfortable despite a minutely painful, short break-in period. They are the first SPD shoes I have owned and I give them two thumbs...toes up!

Submitted by Grant a weekend warrior from North Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've had these shoes for almost a year and have found them to be extremely durable considering a good chunk of the riding season here is in wet, muddy conditions. I have somewhat problematic feet and have found that they have been extremely comfortable despite a minutely painful, short break-in period. They are the first SPD shoes I have owned and I give them two thumbs up!

Submitted by Mental Mike a racer from Parry Sound Ontario

Date Reviewed: August 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

Like the 110's these shoes are also great.....For a month until you rip the soles clean off let's see some stitchin in there boys (like the downhill shoes) or go with the new XO skeleton.

Submitted by Wayne a cross-country rider from La Verne, CA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 1997

Bottom Line:

Great shoes. I've had mine for 2 or 3 years with no problems. I had Nike poohba's before which were too narrow and had laces. Go with velcro -- it's the best.

Submitted by tub-o-lard a downhiller from fat city

Date Reviewed: August 14, 1997

Bottom Line:

my soes fell apart after they got wet