Home | Reviews | Shoes | Sette

Sette Epic Shoes

4.25/5 (24 Reviews)

The Epic shoe re-writes the book when it comes to style, performance and comfort. Its aggressive cross country racing design combined with several outstanding features make it the leader of the pack. The shoe is constructed of breathable mesh to help keep your feet cool. It has two hook and loop closure straps which serve to complement the quality metal ratchet with quick release button for on-the-fly adjustments. The extra ridged nylon outsole with reinforced heel cup will ensure that little energy is wasted when you are in motion.

Submitted by Odii a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2012

Strengths:    I was looking for a cheap way to get into clipless riding, and I found it with the Sette Epic shoes, I purchased with a pair of SPD wellgo clipless pedals from Pricepoint.com

Weaknesses:    Metal screw in pieces came out after only a few rides.
The strap is not replaceable.
Does not come in W (wide)

Bottom Line:
Great product to get you rolling with clipless without breaking the bank.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Giant Revel 1 with Wellgo SPD pedals

Submitted by kermitgreen a Cross Country Rider from Milford, MI USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2011

Strengths:    The jury is still out.

Weaknesses:    Poor manufacturing quality of soles, lugs are hard plastic

Bottom Line:
I asked for and received these shoes as a Christmas gift, 2010. Though the initial impression was that the shoes offered a high value to cost ratio, this turned out not to be so. In April I broke in the shoes on a on a 4-day tour of the White Rim trail in Moab UT. Though they were comfortable and the soles stiff enough, the lugs were too hard and slipped easily on hard rock surfaces. Back home in Michigan all seemed well enough - no hard rock here to scramble over. But just a few weeeks into the riding season the lugs began to separate from the soles. The shoes were returned to Price Point for exchange, which took over four weeks to get a replacement pair. I have not had a chance to use them yet. I noticed the uppers are now made from imitation rather than real leather, soles still appear the same materials as before. I'll give them a second chance. With several others reporting the same lug separation issues I'm hopeful Sette has noticed and taken steps to solve their manufacturing problems.

Favorite Trail:   Milford

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Louis Garneau entry level MTB shoe, 4 years, same pair

Bike Setup:   26" alum. & 29" steel hardtails

Submitted by yfz_duner a Weekend Warrior from Temecula, CA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2011

Strengths:    Price. Doesn't have gawdy colors.

Weaknesses:    Harder tread compound.

Bottom Line:
Up front note: I returned these shoes because they were too small. I didn't ride in them, so this is a review of my first impressions.

I was looking for my first stiff soled, "racing" type MTB shoe. The Settes had good reviews and the price was right. I am a size 11 and according to the Price Point website, the Euro equivalent is 45. Another size 11 commented the size 45 fit him, so I ordered a size 45.

I had high hopes for these shoes. They had a great spec for the price. Upon opening the box, they looked great...then I tried them on. The size 45 is a tad too small...darn! My big toe was just touching the end. The width was also a little tighter than I'd like for my just wider than normal foot width. Next I ran my finger over the tread and it just seemed too hard to provide the traction I'd need for rock scrambling. Another strike against the shoe.

These negatives sealed the deal and I returned these shoes. If I had ordered a size 46, then maybe they would have worked. Now I'm on the hunt for a different shoe. I like the rubbery hardness of the Shimano soles. I just need to find a reasonably priced Shimano that is all black.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   None.

Submitted by belgae1970 a Weekend Warrior from Newbury Park, CA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Fit well. Ratcheting system seems to hold up. Don't stretch too much during the ride.

Weaknesses:    Glue that holds the cleats started coming undone within a month of buying them.

Bottom Line:
I bought these about 4 months ago. They fit extremely well although I was not that thrilled with the color. Ok, vanity aside. The cleats are glued over protrusions that extend out from the sole. The glue that holds the rear cleats on came undone almost immediately. This was not that big a deal. I try to minimize the amount of walking I do when on my bike, but this weekend the cleats underneath the toes came apart as well and those do come in handy at times. Also, the ratchet strap is not adjustable like with other shoes. I don't believe I have narrow feet but I could not further tighten the straps. These 2 issues combined spurred me to return the shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Las Robles

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Dominator 5

Bike Setup:   Titus El Guapo, Fox Talas RLC 160mm, CCDB, I9 wheels

Submitted by Capt Chaos a Cross Country Rider from Denton, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2011

Strengths:    Initial quality is great, stiff, breathable, good ratchet system

Weaknesses:    Durability!

Bottom Line:
Within my first couple of rides, the stitching around the mesh had a hole in it. Within 1 year the tread on the bottom has broken off, the ratchet closure has broken and will not stay in place, and the connections for the cleats has stripped. While this has great initial quality, the durability just does not hold up. I am going to try a different brand for hopefully better durability.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore - Flower Mound TX

Submitted by tomorrowillbeyou a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2010

Strengths:    Durability, looks, comfort, warmth in the cold months here and surprisingly well ventilation in our summer months!

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
I ride year round in the PNW and these shoes have seen it all. I have never been so impressed with biking shoes before. Usually they only last me ONE season of riding (I ride a lot), but these things work just as well now after hundreds and hundreds of hellish All Mountain miles in the rain, sun and snow!!! They have scuffs and battle scars, but they aren't falling apart in any sense of the word. Not a stitch out of place and the cam-buckle system works perfectly still. I LOVE Sette products... yes, you can buy lighter and "cooler" looking shoes, but I would rather save my hard earned cash. When they do finally die, I have another pair waiting in their box ready to go!

Favorite Trail:   Siouxon, ColdCreek, Sincline

Similar Products Used:   MANY other XC and AM clipless shoes

Bike Setup:   19" Sette Flite mostly stock with a Truvativ AKA stem, white FUNN Fatboy handlebars, Rogue ODE grips, custom anodized Sunline bar-end caps, Crankbrothers Mallet pedals, SDG saddle, and a Salsa seat tube clamp.

Submitted by jeeper006 a Cross Country Rider from Alexandria, La

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Strengths:    WIDE FIT... which is excellent for me. I wear a 4E in mens tennis shoes, so i was nervous to make the wswitch, but they fit great... wide toe box also

Metal spikes included

Stiff sole

buckle seems pretty nice

Weaknesses:    none yet
snap buckle seems to rub a little on my shin, but thats probably just me having it too tight

Bottom Line:
thus far seems to be a good shoe, has a snug fit, wide toe box, and metal spikes up front are pretty cool too

Favorite Trail:   Wild Azelae

Kenda Nevegal up front
Hutchinson Toro in the rear

Submitted by Carraig042 a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2010

Strengths:    Shoe fits great on my foot, no slip and not too tight either.
Shoe seems nice and stiff, and looks to be built well.
The ratchet strap is nice, I like it a lot better than the mtb shoes that just have velcro.

Weaknesses:    I would like a little more color on them. (Not really all that bad anyway)

Bottom Line:
Based off this initial review, they seem great! I wear a size 10-10.5 with normal tennis shoes and the size 44 in these fit like a glove. I would recommend them to anyone who wants a good mtb shoe for a good price. There is a lot of tread on the bottom to help carry the bike around when no mounted. (Comes with spikes for the front if you like them) The only thing I would like to see is some color on the shoes besides just black and gray. They also seem like they will breath decently.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Tested Shimano M076 mtb shoes.

Bike Setup:   '09 Rockhopper Comp Disc. Using Time ATAC Alum pedals with the Sette shoes.

Submitted by MarcMTB a Cross Country Rider from Westlake Village, CA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2009

Strengths:    wide toebox, metal ratchet system, stiff sole, slightly softer tread for traction, excellent fit, toe protection, walkable, grippy material in the middle, cleats and wrench included!

Bottom Line:
SMART shoe! I did a lot of comparisons this time to replace my Sidis... Price vs. Quality/stiffness/fit was the key tradeoff. I favor a stiff sole that's walkable without much slip on a slippery floor; a tread material issue more than anything else. Sette fused a softer tread onto a stiff sole, which is a more expensive process. The treads near the cleat are slightly splayed out towards the front - aids entry (amazing how many shoes dont do this!!). The toe has a small tread part - you'll get wear there from portage. smart. There's a bit of grippy material between the cleat and heel so you can put the pedals there unclipped and not slip off. The tread on both sides of the cleat are FLAT enough to allow standing unclipped and not slip off the pedals. The toebox is big for airflow. The cleat nut is big to cover the complete channel at extreme ends of range - no gap to shove mud into. Lastly, cleats, a cleat wrench, and cleat screws were included. VERY walkable - the tread shields an SPD cleat completely from the floor.
This is a fantastic value, bottom line.

Favorite Trail:   Backbone

Similar Products Used:   Sidis, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Stumpy Xpert

Submitted by stumblemumble a Weekend Warrior from Fresno, ca

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2009

Strengths:    Great deal. Haven't worn out.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat heavy

Bottom Line:
Great shoe for the price, heavy compared to my Sidi Bullets but more durable.

Submitted by bigman a Weekend Warrior from Hartford CT

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2009

Strengths:    Great product. Stiff yet comfortable for walking and long rides. Great price. Great value

Weaknesses:    None so far...we'll see how long they hold up.

Bottom Line:
Superb shoe for an amazing price.This review is for the 2009 Sette Epic MTB shoes. I purchased these at pricepoint.com. I tried on Sidi and shimano shoes. Sidi is an amazing product, but I really don't want a shoe so stiff that I can't safely walk in them on rough terrain. I wear a Nike 11 sneaker and found that Shimano's and Sidi's required a 45 size. This is due to the fact that the toebox is narrow. I decided to take a chance on the sette's on Pricepoint.com. I called to confirm the recommended size and they told me that I should size down. This is due to the fact that the toebox is wider than sidi and shimano. I have to say that these shoes are the perfect combination of stiffness and comfort. I ride 3-4 days a week. I can ride long distances and the shoe does not give under pedal power. Really an amazing shoe for an amazing price. you will have to pay at least $150 on other brands to get the same quality. Great shoes

Favorite Trail:   Mansfield Hollow State Park

Similar Products Used:   Sidi, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX9 with crankbrothers eggbeater pedals

Submitted by avidrider a Weekend Warrior from Helena, MT

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff Sole, fairly good looking shoe, ratchet buckle, comfortable, well priced,true to size, no hot spots.

Weaknesses:    screws on ratchet buckle can work loose if not tightened down.

Bottom Line:
Best shoe I've owned so far at an extremely affordable price. I would highly reccomend buying this shoe. If you want a clipless shoe at a great price, this is the one.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   sidi dominator, cannondale mtb shoe, carnac road shoe

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Bass, thomson stem and post, king headset, paul motolites, kooka levers, raceface cranks, easton monkeylite carbon bars, paul hubs.

Submitted by CHiEF_N a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff sole, good ventilation, feel durable, ratcheting buckle, look cool

Weaknesses:    None that have been discovered thus far.

Bottom Line:
These shoes are a really great deal for the level of quality you'll receive.

One thing to note on the Sette Epic model shoes is that the sizing is spot on. Some reviewers mentioned that the Sette shoes run a size larger than their US stated sizes, but I found this to be innaccurate for mine. I wear an 11 in almost every shoe, so I went with their size 44 or 10.5. They were too small so I had to send them back in exchange for the 45 and they fit perfectly. So I'm not sure about their other models, but the Epic's sizing is normal. Maybe they've corrected the sizing on the newer production models going forward.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge