Home | Reviews | Shoes | Sette

Sette Element MTB Shoes

4.19/5 (36 Reviews)

W/ looks this good you'll have to beat admirers off with a stick. The bulletproof super ridged sole transfers every bit of torque you can dish out. 3 straps allow for quick changes in tightness. Breathable mesh mids insure cool dry rides day in day out.

Submitted by mcseforsale a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2014

Strengths:    Indestructable. Black.

Weaknesses:    None really...maybe a little heavy.

Bottom Line:
I've been sporting these since 2004 and it's almost time to retire them. The rubber on 2 of the back lugs is starting to peel off the underlying sole plate and the stretch band thing that holds the 2 sides together under the tongue on one has been disconnected for almost 6 years. Coming from some very expensive (at the time) Specialized rockhopper shoes, which I abused and killed in less than a year, I was worried that these would last a couple of weeks and go into the bin. 10 years later and many, many miles up and down the east coast and I'm still riding around in these. They've been submerged in mud, water, muck, you name it and still look new after a good rinsing with a hose and drying. They are stiff and fit well. I might upgrade to the Epic when the soles finally fully peel off. Until then, I love riding these old shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Case Mountain

Duration Product Used:   10 years

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Several Specialized Rockhopper variants.

Bike Setup:   '01 iDrive, Manitou Black Super Air SPV, American Classic/MavicX317s, etc. etc.

Submitted by Nelson a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2013

Strengths:    Price is great, and shoes are very durable

Weaknesses:    Heavy and ugly IMO

Bottom Line:
This are my first MTB shoes, I got them a year ago mainly because of the price and the good reviews I read in this website. The shoes were a little uncomfortable at the beginning, but after a couple of weeks they were broken in and they felt much better. I ride at least 2 times per week, and I've gotten them wet and full of mud a few time but after a good wash they are back to like new condition. They have really surpassed my expectations! I really thought when I bought them that after a years of constant use I probably had to replace them but it has not been the case. They have plenty of life left in them.

Submitted by Cormac a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2012

Strengths:    Durable

Weaknesses:    weight? Kinda ugly.

Bottom Line:
They seem like they're a heavier shoe, I'm sure you could find MTB shoes that are much lighter and just as durable, but not for the price. 5 chillies since the price is right but 4 overall as I can't seem them lasting forever. I have no complaints after a couple weeks with em though. No loose stitches and the velcro still holds strong for the duration of the ride. Also once your feet get used to em they are comfortable enough. My right foot gets sore from these shoes. It was bad at first, but now it's gradually getting better. Maybe I just had to get used to the fit or maybe it was the shoes. Either way it's a non issue now. I wear a size 12 shoe so I ordered a size 12 and it fits like I would expect a size 12 to fit. So order whatever size shoe you normally wear and you'll be good to go. Good shoe for hike-a-bike sections. With pretty good traction off the bike.

Again for the price you really can't do any better. A good entry level shoe for sure. I'll probably pick up something better when these wear out, but until then I can see wearing these for as long as it takes to wear em out. I picked em up as part of my clipless experimentation and I'm glad I did as they helped get me hooked on riding clipless. Pun intended I guess...

Favorite Trail:   Rum Village

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Trail SL4 29er SS

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2012

Strengths:    -Great value for money
-Very comfortble
-Quite stiff

Weaknesses:    -Not as nice looking as some of the higher end shoes

Bottom Line:
I bought these shoes at pricepoint (of course) which was kind of a risky preposition due to the fact shoe sizes can vary widely. I am generally a size ten in most shoes but I have shoes in sizes 9-11. The size chart jumped from 9.5 -10.5 and I opted for the 10.5s. When they finally arrived in the mail (a couple of weeks to Canada) I put them on and they were a perfect fit. Jump forward a few months and after a break in period these babies are great, I can't believe I got such a perfect fitting and comfortable shoe for such a reasonable price. I bought these and a pair of Shimano pedals for $125 including shipping to Canada. The Velcro straps do a good job keeping your foot nice and snug in the shoe. The sole seems pretty good and grippy for those hike a bike situations and I am sure that the toe spikes will only help in such cases. I opted to leave the spikes out for now but will probably put them in on certain rides. The only thing I can't give my opinion on is if they will last a long time because I have only had them for several months, but they seem to be holding up so far. I typically do a lot of research before a make any purchases and from what I can find you will be hard pressed to find such a great shoe at such a low price. If you are a fairly average rider like me then these might be the shoes for you.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm riding

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper 29er, Shimano m520 pedals, SunRingle Rims, Manitou Tower Forks, Captain Control in the front Kenda Nevagal in the back, lock on grips, the rest is stock

Submitted by clipless in pa a Cross Country Rider from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    This shoe is well made and fits my slightly wide foot very well, with no cramping in the toe box. They are stiff enough for good power transfer, while having enough flexibility for the hike-a-bike sections. The shoes breathe well and have held up well to a year's worth of riding. They've become my favorite shoe. I've found the sizing to be spot on. The price is also a plus.

Weaknesses:    Nothing at all to complain about.

Bottom Line:
I would highly recommend these shoes and plan on buying another pair as a backup in case they are discontinued. I haven't found another shoe that has the fit and build quality at up to twice the price.

Favorite Trail:   Love them all

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   Various Nike MTB shoes, Diadoras, and Pearl Izumi.

Bike Setup:   2006 Cannondale Rush w/ Lefty.

Submitted by SoFlaBiker a Weekend Warrior from Palm Beach, Florida

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Strengths:    Well made shoe. Other shoes of this level of quality are priced at 2 - 3 times the price and probably won't be as comfortable or the fit will not be to your size. I purchased these as a first pair of clipless shoes and I couldn't be more satisfied with my purchase. The sizing is spot on and the shoes are comfortable are vent well. They clean up easy with a brush & damp cloth. I plan on getting the upgrade to these and using them for races. You can not go wrong getting these shoes.

Weaknesses:    None as of yet, maybe change out the inserts for some sport gel cushion ones and then it would be perfect !

Bottom Line:
Can't go wrong with these shoes. Kick Ass value for the money !

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   PricePiont

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Fuel EX with Shimano 520 pedals.

Submitted by C-Dale_Rider a Cross Country Rider from Seneca, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Strengths:    WTF bro? Why didn't anyone tell me about clips before? One ride out and I'm a transformed man. I broke a clavicle because I came out of my platforms once (like 3 months ago) and now that I'm back in the game the CLIPS have turned me into a MACHINE. I enjoy sprinting up hills in my Vibrams whenever I get a chance and being clipped-in gives me the exact same feeling because I'm using my entire range of muscle power. OMFG. Clips. Get. Them. NOW.The Sette shoes I ordered at size 43 came it exactly the same as my Fivefingers so it was a perfect match. They are comfy, stylish, and HOLY MOLY you can rip sh_t up!

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
99 bucks at Pricepoint with TIME Alium pedals simply can't be beat. I'm a true believer now. Never before have I been able to shred through the forest fearlessly hopping over roots like a madman gone sane. I can't wait for tomorrow so I can do it again! These shoes and pedals have added a completely new dimension to my riding.

Favorite Trail:   Issaqueena

Similar Products Used:   regular shoes with 50/50's

Bike Setup:   F400 frame, Maggie 180's, Shimano WH-M765 (the best tubeless rim in the world for the money, NO I won't sell you mine!)

Submitted by dantzig a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2010

Strengths:    Attractive, well-constructed, stiff shoe. Affordable price.

Weaknesses:    Sizes run small. Me and a buddy both ordered shoes in our size according to Sette/Pricepoint's recommendations. Both of our shoes were too small by 1 size. I reordered and 1 size up from what I normally wear fits perfectly.

Bottom Line:
I am just commenting on the fit, appearance, and my initial impression of the construction. I have not biked with these shoes yet.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Submitted by derek whitlock a Weekend Warrior from fairborn ohio

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2010

Strengths:    Alround great shoe

Weaknesses:    Sizeing, Too many reviews said the size ran small. After 3 returns, I have found the sizeing to be dead on. If you wear a size 10 order a 10... Wish i had this information when I purchased them.

Bottom Line:
Order the right size...

Favorite Trail:   timber pass estespark co

Bike Setup:   specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Submitted by Simonns a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2008

Strengths:    Very durable. I have ride about 3 times a week along with some epic big mile bike rides. I've had these shoes for 6 years. I have worn them on every ride I have done in those 6 years.

Weaknesses:    The screw in cleats fell out the first ride but that was my fault

Bottom Line:
I don't write many reviews but I have too for these shoes. Like I said, I have worn these shoes on every ride I've done for the past 6 years. Granted the bottoms of the shoes have no traction what so ever on them and they are kinda hard to walk in now because I slip all over the place. But once on the bike you don't really need traction on your shoes. They are pretty comfortable and I have worn them for 12+ hours a day. Awesome shoes for the money.

Similar Products Used:   Other shoes

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Bullit

Submitted by bearnakedrunner a Weekend Warrior from Grrrreat falls, MT USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2008

Strengths:    It seems to be a great shoe for the price. The triple straps make for a great tight fit.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I read many reviews before Ordering these shoes and the majority of them said that they run big so I should order smaller right? Thats a big NO. I wear and 11.5 Us or about 45 UK and I ordered 44 Uk because of the reviews and I had to send them back. They are to d#mn small. If any thing i'd say order a size above what you normally wear. Over all great shoe and can't beat the price. Just a gamble on size as is anything online.

Favorite Trail:   Not Sure

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   None First MTB Shoes

Bike Setup:   '08 Gary Fisher Advance
Trek 9I computer
Wellgo M-3 Pedals

Submitted by Dillier23 a Weekend Warrior from IL

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2008

Strengths:    Stable, Stiff, Easy to move around on.

Weaknesses:    Size runs a touch big.

Bottom Line:
Good priced shoes that are made with quality in mind. Had zero issues from the first ride, never needed to be broken in. Cleats have a good range of adjustability, straps equal out pressure over the foot. Make sure you order two pair to get the right size!

Favorite Trail:   ?

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Flat shoes

Bike Setup:   GT Chucker 1.0 factory setup

Submitted by lnghrn a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Strengths:    Well built, looks good.

Weaknesses:    none in a year

Bottom Line:
This is a good shoe for the price. Especially since I got the shoes and pedals for 80 bucks.

Some complain about sizing. I sent an email to pricepoint before I ordered, and they gave me the correct size for my foot.

I have beat the crap of these for the past year and have not torn them up yet!

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com