Home | Reviews | Shoes | Scott

Scott Shoes Shoes

2.61/5 (38 Reviews)

Scott Shoes

Submitted by tony from chattanooga

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2005

Strengths:    price was right, the sole is the right amount of rigid

Weaknesses:    construction, upper is crummy

Bottom Line:
I had the 4 by 4's model. They are pretty cheapy and the back of them are coming apart after 2 months. My toes got numb after about 4 miles. I have quit wearing them and will sell them.

Similar Products Used:   Lake police shoes are excellent, some other weather proof that are pretty good.

Bike Setup:   stock giant vt3 w/ road tires

Submitted by John Capek a Weekend Warrior from Prague, Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2001

Strengths:    Didn't hang in long enough to figure them out.

Weaknesses:    The sole of the shoe.
Don't air enough.

Bottom Line:
I bought a fairly well priced Scott Cascade mtb shoe, that rode well I guess for the first 3 months that is, for about 700Km and then the sole near the tip of my right shoe cracked across the whole width, and just dangled there. Hell was I angry, paid 70 bucks or so and the shoe just broke down on me while walking up a grass covered hill. So I took the shoe back to the store because I still had my warrenty. What I was told is that it is my fault and that I damaged them, this sentence also was told to me by the main distributor of Scott Shoes in the Czech Republic. I guess Scott just doesn't stand behind the products they produce.
One thing I know is, NO MORE SCOTT FOR ME, DON'T BUY THEM YOU'LL JUST LOOSE HARD EARNED CASH.

Purchased At:   Bike Expert, Prague, Czech Republic

Similar Products Used:   My brother uses Cannondales and has no problems

Bike Setup:   Kona Cindercone with a Z5 Bomber,Shimano XT and STX-RC components. Avid brakes and Mavic rims.

Submitted by Erik Echegaray a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive and comfortable, held up well

Weaknesses:    Heel slippage, velcro straps too long

Bottom Line:
I've had my 360's for three solid seasons and the sole just ripped. The velcro staps and upper shoe are in good condition- not bad considering the hike-a-bikes I do and the number of years I've had them. The heel slips a bit but cinching down the velcro straps before a portaging section was super easy and quick and did the trick. A well spent $60 even though they lack the looks and sophistication of other shoes costing twice the amount

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   '95 Trek Y22

Submitted by Peter Schäfer a Weekend Warrior from Fischbach, Germany

Date Reviewed: July 19, 1999

Strengths:
cheap

Weaknesses:
none yet

Bottom Line:
Model: Terra Firma

1 Year

Submitted by Marteau a Cross-Country Rider from Ottawa, Ont.

Date Reviewed: April 18, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap

Weaknesses:
Cheap

Bottom Line:
Poor Cleat position, K-mart looks, bad fit(ankle slips), near impossible entry. Spend the extra $, Win freinds, influence people, buy better shoes.

2 Years

Lake, Shimano, Race Vogs.

RMB Element w. Judy SL.

Submitted by Mike Osiowy a cross-country rider from Regina, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 9, 1999

Bottom Line:

Model:4x4I bought the shoes in August '98 at a pretty cheap price of $82 can. (~$50 U.S.) They're my first pair of bike shoes, and I'm not totally displeased with them. But, they aren't up to other standards. My friends ride Nike Yuhas and Inyos, and those shoes have seen little wear, despite a season of use. But my Scotts, after three months of riding, already show wear. The lycra on the back of one shoe is messed up, and the pull strap on the back of one shoe is torn off. On the bottom of the shoe, some of the rubber has torn off from around the base of the cleat. The shoes are attractive and work well too, but I'm unsure of whether I can survive another season with them.

Submitted by will rice a cross-country rider from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 18, 1999

Bottom Line:

these shoes started out with lots of promise (Scott 360's), the were comfortable and cheap and I thought that they had just the right amount of soul flex. I wore them for 5000 km last summer and alot of km this winter as a courier (yes we ride around in two feet of snow and -20 C degree weather). True this is constitutes alot of wear and tear but i've only had them since May 98 and its now Jan99. The problem is this big crack across the sole that makes walking hurt and clicking out a nightmare. Another problem is the pain-in -the-ass that the dealers and sales reps are giving me about warranty. i don't think i'll ever buy another pair despite the comfort level. I'm now looking to buy a pair of Lakes. booey on Scott for poor service and poorer shoes.

Submitted by SomeGuy a weekend warrior

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

These shoes are good cuz they cover your feet and then your feet won't drag on the ground and get all cut up and stuff and they keep your foot stench contained

Submitted by Alexander Rahm a cross-country rider from Germany, BY

Date Reviewed: October 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had a pair 4x4's: my first and my last pair !. After only one week of intensive use, the sole began to split next to the cleat. Beside this, also the pull tag was damaged. Very comfortable shoes (good for walking), but much too low durability. Don't buy them !One crappy star !.

Submitted by Gary Bartolacci a cross-country rider from Nyack, NY

Date Reviewed: September 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

These were the first pair of shoes I've owned. They fit comfortably, however, after a relatively short period of time, the sole of one of my shoes began to split next to the cleat. Since then, part of the sole has ripped off and the front of the base of the shoe gets wrapped around the fiberglas stiff platform if I don't duct tape them every time I ride. Very unhappy with the durability of these shoes.

Submitted by Mark D. a cross-country rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had a pair of 4x4's for a while now and use them with Wellgo 804's. So far they have served me well. They are tough and resilient (I did have to re-sow the flap that holds the pull-tab). The mesh in front does let in a lot of water when wading across deep water crossings, but in the heat out here they dry out real fast. Overall, I think its a pretty decenst shoe, but then I just started mountain biking after years of road racing (and compared to those shoes that make you walk like you have corns the size of Texas, these are a dream).

Submitted by Scotster a weekend warrior from Paris, France

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

Scott 4X4- Dont!
After reading the reviews here and owning a pair I can definately say look elsewhere. I have had two pairs with the first replaced under warranty when the pull tag at the back tore the back of the heel away. A pull tag that you can't pull!
The second pair have gone the same way even with taking care and also the sole has torn open at the cleat area.
Also the upper mesh is incredibly open which is nice if you ride in Moab but a disaster if you live where there is mud or water. Europe tends to have lots of both.
So despite the good casual looks and the fact they share my name - a crappy 1 star.

Submitted by Spopsych a cross-country rider from Blue Springs, MO

Date Reviewed: July 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought the 4x4's in Jan. I rode them until July. I rode about 300 miles. I am slow and fat, I know, I should ride more, but G.D. El Nino wouldn't let me. Anyway, I tore a tread off right below the SPD. No big deal, right? Well, a week ago I was riding and tried to clip in the the shoe went off the side. The mechanism (TIME ATAC) ripped the sole right in half all the way to the heel. How in the world could a smooth mech like the ATAC's rip it? How could the sole rip? Scott sucks. My ever cool LBS (Wheeler's in KC) hooked me up with some new CDale's. Hopefully they won't get hit by Scott and they deserve 20 chilies. Go to hell, Scott.

Submitted by the zodiac killer a cross-country rider from earth

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

Model: 4x4
these shoes are poopy. i am currently looking for a better pair of shoes. they are ugly and they smell bad. whats the deal with the big chunk of rubber on the toe? i dont like it. it looks like a bumper car. why did i ever buy these stupid shoes? i hope these shoes die. these shoes are very negative. i guess i'll have to wear them until i get some new shoes. oh well. 2 peppers only because i dont have any other shoes and they still clip into my pedals. thats all

Submitted by Phil Roeder a cross-country rider from Des Moines, IA

Date Reviewed: May 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am torn over Scott shoes. I had a pair of the Hard Rocks and they were great. They were my main off-road shoe for over a year and a half until they were beat to death -- comfortable and durable. I then got a pair of 4x4s. One word -- SUCK! They were hard to put on and a month into them the snap that held the lace cover broke off. Between these two shoes, on average I would have to say Scott makes only an average shoe.

Best shoes for Hike-a-bike?

Just about every non lap-based endurance race I've entered has had at least a little hike-a-bike. These sections are especially miserable for me because I've always used lightweight XC specific shoes - they're great on the bike but suck as soon as I start walking. In the recent past I've used prem ... Read More »

A good set of shoes for flats....that aren't actually biking shoes.

A couple weeks ago after riding the enduro at the Green River Games which also included kayaking and running events, a company called Astral had set up a booth selling some shoes that were actually made for kayaking. I liked the way they looked and they appeared they would be good for flat pedals. ... Read More »

How stiff are 5.10 Dirtbag shoes

Disclaimer: I solely ride clipless but I'm looking to buy a pair of 5.10 dirtbags for casual wear. How stiff are these shoes? I'll be wearing them as normal sneakers. I haven't found them to try so I'll have to mail order them site unseen. I assume they're not as stiff as my Sidi race shoes ... Read More »

feeling underwhelmed with fiveten shoes, S1 vs Mi6 rubber - anyone try both?

I bought my first pair of fivetens this year, the freeride elements team black shoes. After years of reading the hype and people saying its one of the best places to put some extra money into your riding, I have to say I'm not overwhelmed by them. I had been riding with my merrell hiking shoes befor ... Read More »

Winter shoes - sole separating from shoe

Last season I bought myself a pair of winter-specific cycling shoes and they were a game changer for winter comfort. They are Exustar brand. [ATTACH=CONFIG]922627[/ATTACH] By the end of the winter, I notice that the sole is separating from the shoe. No pic, but the heel is separated completely f ... Read More »