Home | Reviews | Shoes | Scott

3.2/5 (5 Reviews)

• BOA Lacing System
  • Low Profile
  • X-Traction
  • AHC (Anatomical Heel Cradle)

Submitted by kark a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2014

Strengths:    The shoes provide good traction and they're pretty comfortable though that is purely subjective. Also the gloss finish is pretty garish but again, purely subjective and the gloss gets less awful with use.

Weaknesses:    Boa lacing is not at all reliable. First fail occured within a couple weeks when I didn't make a swichback, washed out the front tire and sheared the boa assembly off on rocky ground No injuries, low speed, just a typical get off. The problem is that once the boa fails the shoe is wide open. The lower velcro strap does nearly nothing so the shoe is unusable until repaired. The repair, while cheap is a fiddly affair with tiny parts and would be very difficult in anything but clean, well lit conditions. (field repair would be a challenge)
The second time the boa assembly failed was a legitimate JRA. Actually in parking lot pre ride. No impact, it just broke.
Fortunately I was able to zip tie the cable enough to take up slack and ride but that was the last time I will wear them.

In my opinion they are just not durable enough for MTB use. *maybe* road use but, really there are proven, simple, durable systems out there so why bother?

If this failed on me out in the backcountry and I wasn't equipped with either ducttape, zip ties, or some kind of bandage this boa lacing system could create a very difficult, possibly dangerous situation.

Bottom Line:
I would describe the fit as being on the wider side, which is good for me. The heel is a little looser than I'd prefer, but again, that is dependent on an individuals foot.

Favorite Trail:   Bennet gap or whole enchilada

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Similar Products Used:   Various Sidi's, Scott comp (velcro), Answer, Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Knolly endorphin

Submitted by Triglav

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2013

Strengths:    I really like the BOA system which is the main reason I bought these shoes. I use them for Mt. bike in summer and cyclocross. I liked they have removable front cleats.

Weaknesses:    These shoes have harder composite soles so not very sticky on rock when hiking. Also, I think the heel pocket is terrible and so when hiking/running up a steep hill if feels like the shoe is going to come off!

Bottom Line:
I bought these online so will definitely try on a pair next time before buying. Not satisfied due to heel being so loose.

Submitted by Pelly_NH

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2012

Strengths:    Amazing value. Exceptional fit with no "hot spots". Great ventilation.

Weaknesses:    Still about nervous about the longevity of the boa system. With that said, replacement parts are dirt cheap.

Bottom Line:
For the money, can't be beat!

Submitted by MattieB10

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    comfortable, quick "lace up", very breathable, fit to size

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I got these from a buddy of mine that owns a shop, I went in and said I needed new MTB shoes and he didn't hesitate to put these bad larry's on my feet. I have been on a trails with them for about a week and LOVE them. They are so comfortable and the lace up process is a breeze. Traction is great and seem very durable. The only reason I gave it a four in value is because I got a discount so my thoughts are MSRP is decent.

Bike Setup:   Niner M.C.R.

Submitted by James

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2012

Strengths:    lightweigth, suprisingly really good traction, I was walking down unrideable terrain the other day with no slip.

Weaknesses:    they fit a little loose in the heel... glossy finish is a little much for mountain bike vibe. they look good dirty though. I want to like the cable laces but velcro works better for getting in & out...

Bottom Line:
if you can get them on sale buy them, if not, I would shop around.

Scott MTB Team Boa shoe question

I am looking a purchasing new MTB shoes, and have spent some time looking at trying Boa lacing over traditional straps. My only concern is I like to have the strap by my ankle extremely tight, and the strap across my metatarsal loose. I need to have the strap across my metatarsal loose due to foot ... Read More »