Performance Shoes Shoes

3.28/5 (50 Reviews)

Performance Shoes

Submitted by Bigchef a Weekend Warrior from Palmerton, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Strengths:    This review is for the Performamce Trophy shoe.
Great fit, light weight, stiff

Weaknesses:    Not really a true Mountain bike shoe. Actully a road bike shoe that can be used for mautain biking. Slippery on hard surfaces and not easy to walk in.

Bottom Line:
I tried these shoes becuase I wanted something I could wear in Mountain and Road bike, SPD clips.
I was suprised that the real difference in these shoes and road shoes is the special clip. The clip actually has wings that stick out with hard plastic grippers. After trying them I realized how much I like the light weight and stiff sole. Just be reminded that these are actually meant for road bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   Hard tail, Aluminum frame, LX components, not looking new anymore

Submitted by jason from modesto, ca

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
"TROPHY" MOUNTAIN SHOE: over 3 years and they're still going strong. i might get another year out of them (getting to the end of the road). i love the 3 straps without laces (overkill). they have a stiff sole and i have no problem hiking in them if necessary (come with toe spikes). $80+ is a sweet price for over 3 years of regular abuse. i'll replace them with another similar performance model. buy with confidence!

Purchased At:   performance

Submitted by canadian,eh a Weekend Warrior from VA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2000

Strengths:    price-they are frequently cheaper than their official price of $60
fit-not exactly custom-fit quality, but still not bad. they stay on real well, and velcro don't loosen not, neither
comfortable- i rarely wear socks with these
looks-they look like normal shoes, although i have nothing against silver "leather" (where can i find a cow of that color, i want one)
traction- great for those rugged hike-a-bike sections

Weaknesses:    like i said, they aren't custom italian fit, but they are still pretty solid

Bottom Line:
a VERY solid shoe for the price. with the outsole and looks, i can wear these off the bike w/o looking like a moron. if you blew your budget on your bike like i did, you cant't beat these. and although durability seems good, if anything DOES go wrong, then they have a 100% warranty on then. talk about fancy pants.

Favorite Trail:   the dirt kind

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   first clipless shoes

Bike Setup:   2000 fisher paragon, bontrager RE-1's

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2000

Strengths:    Italian made, fit well, price

Weaknesses:    Color scheme

Bottom Line:
I just got the Trophy model atb shoe. They're really nice for the price. I was a little sketchy about shelling out 130+ for clipless shoes just to "see if I like clipless" and I do! The shoe is sturdy, comfortable and probably just as good as the higher priced models. You can't go wrong with this shoe if you're just learning to use clipless pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Muir Trails at Kettle Moraine

Similar Products Used:   Just plain ol' Tennis Shoes

Bike Setup:   GT Ricochet, XT drivetrain, Manitou fork, Spox rear, Crosslink front.

Submitted by Puzman a Cross Country Rider from Wallingford, CT

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2000

Strengths:    Fit well
Microbuckle adjustability
Stiffness
Incredible value
Performance 100% guarantee

Weaknesses:    goofy looks
slightly tight cleat clearance
sole is somewhat slick

Bottom Line:
These shoes are a great value at $99 from Performance. They are light-years beyond Performance's earlier efforts at shoes (the Kwakes, which are Krap). Stiff, comfy, and way, way cheaper than anything else out there at this quality level. These are made in Italy, and it shows. The cleat clearance seems slightly tight for my SPDs, but i've had no problems whatsoever getting in or out. The soles are one-piece molded of a hard plastic, which should mean durable, but it also means they feel pretty slick walking around the house while I'm getting my gear together. Also, I could do without the disco space-punk look (what happened to basic black?)

Favorite Trail:   ??

Similar Products Used:   Nike PooBah
Performance Kwake (Krap)

Bike Setup:   Klein Mantra, Bomber

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2000

Strengths:    light, stiff, 3 strap adjustability, nice and wide in the front, Italian made craftsmanship

Weaknesses:    Silver color

Bottom Line:
TRophy MTB shoe-

Just got them and they fit real well. They run large and have space in front for my wide feet. Didn't want to fork out $180 for the SIDI's and got them on sale for $69 at performance. Not a huge fan of the color scheme, but so far a nice pair of shoes. I have high arches and the 3 straps offer a better fit than the buckle.

Similar Products Used:   1994 Shimano shoes(finally fell apart), Specialized El Gato Comp(returned)

Bike Setup:   2000 Raven 1000sl

Submitted by Chris a Racer from Texas

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2000

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    We'll see about the buckle.

Bottom Line:
Performance Royal

I reallly liked my Ultimates bt i needed another pair so I did my shopping and came up with these. The only thing I'm not sure of is the buckle Im afraid of the durability. But damn are they light last night I kept looking down to see if they were still on

Favorite Trail:   Flat Creek

Similar Products Used:   Specialized ultimate

Bike Setup:   8900, sx-ti, raceface,xtr

Submitted by Trail Boy a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2000

Strengths:    Close out price of $99.99.

Weaknesses:    Hard to get a good cleat position.

Bottom Line:
I bought these shoes from Performance for the price. I spoke to a salesman from a LBS and he told me that Shimano had corrected the problem of the soles coming off. Being that I had had two other Shimano shoes that had the soles fall off I thought he was correct. Also, the soles looked different and seemed to be well constructed. I made the purchase through Performance because the LBS did not have my size. I had a hard time getting a good cleat position and did not wear them very much. In fact I never wore them off-road. I was planning on doing a test ride very soon. However, I went to a race and notice another racer had them on and I asked him about his pair. He quickly pointed to the soles and they were RIPPING OFF! He said that was after one day of use. That made up my mind - back they went. Good thing Performance has a %100 return policy.

Favorite Trail:   Sherando Lake

Similar Products Used:   Other Shimano shoes that I have milked along.

Bike Setup:   Marin Pine Mountain from 1996.

Submitted by Drew Hutton a Weekend Warrior from Cumming, GA USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight
Inexpensive
Great fit
Good ventilation

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Bought the Trophy/MC-7 combo from Performance, and they both have been fabulous. The shoes are very light weight, and they fit very well on someone who has unusually wide, yet small feet. They are very comfortable, and stay very cool, although it's not quite summer yet, and I'm sure that will change some! Overall, a great shoe at a great price for anyone!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in North GA

Similar Products Used:   Tennis Shoes?

Bike Setup:   Breezer Storm, XT/LX mix, Marzocchi Atom Bombs

Submitted by TK a Weekend Warrior from Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
Recently bought the Trophy model. Have ridden on it about 10 times and the verdict is in: its a GREAT shoe!! Super well made (Italy), very comfortable, fits snug but no pressure points. Velcro straps are perfect for micro adjusting. Also they are quite light too, plus they look sharp as well. 5 chilis for these pups.......

Submitted by MiGuEl a Cross-Country Rider from Farmington, MI

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1999

Strengths:
Comfortable, durable, decent tread, open tread area for use with most pedals, neopreme gives a snug feel.

Weaknesses:
Heel is too loose, straps have stretched in time.

Bottom Line:
The kwake is an inexpensive shoe for someone who wants functionality, comfort and low cost. I have had the shoe for 3 seasons and I have got my moneys worth and then some. The kwake is not a flashy high tech mtb shoe but has served it's purpose after 3 seasons of abuse and many miles and is still in rather good shape. However, my biking has become more serious so I would like to purchase a more serious shoe, the kwake lacks a stiffer sole and secure locking heel, traits of a race type shoe. Great shoe for someone on a budget, getting started on clippless pedals or for the occassional cross country rider who doesn't want to spend an arm and leg.

Potowatomi

more than 3 years

Full suspension Jamis Dakar with a Z2 Bam

Submitted by KIMO a Cross-Country Rider from CERRITOS, CA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 1999

Strengths:
LIGHTWEIGHT, GREAT FIT, WIDE TOE AREA, HUGS HEEL REAL GOOD, GREAT LOOKING SHOE ESPECIALLY IN SILVER.

Weaknesses:
BOTTOM LUGS SEEMS SOFT RUBBER OR PLASTIC, WILL WEAR FAST. WENT THROUGH 2 PAIRS. FIRST ONE, IT SEEMS THE LORICA WAS COMING OFF THE SOLE, SECOND PAIR, STRIPPED THE PLATE WHERE YOU SCREW IN BOLT FOR CLEAT. THEY USE AN ALUMINUM PLATE VS. A STEEL PLATE USED IN SHIMANO SHOES. BE CAREFUL WHEN TIGHTENING BOLTS. THIRD PAIR SO FAR IS HOLDING UP GREAT!

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A POST REVIEW OF THE PERFORMANCE ROYALE SHOE. EVEN THOUGH OF THE WEAKNESSES, I THINK THIS IS A GREAT SHOE. IT FITS MY FEET REAL NICE, NO HOT SPOTS & EASY TO WALK, ALSO VERY LIGHT. I JUST HOPE THAT THIS PAIR LASTS. SURE FRUSTRATING WHEN 2 PAIRS DIDN'T HOLD UP. JUST KEEP YOUR PERFORMANCE RECEIPT HANDY IN CASE OF ANY PROBLEMS. PERFORMANCE WAS KIND TO REPLACE THE OTHER 2, & EXCHANGE FOR A NEW PAIR OF THE SAME SHOE. THAT TO ME IS GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

less than 1 month

SPECIALIZED ROCKHOPPER, SHIMANO M080.

TIME ATAC CARBON ON SCHWINN HOMEGROWN FS, TIME ATAC PLASTIC ON GT AVALANCHE.

Submitted by Green Giant a Cross-Country Rider from Illinois

Date Reviewed: June 26, 1999

Strengths:
fit

Weaknesses:
primo's stretched way out

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up and new review all in one. I had the cheap 55 dollar primo shoes from performance. These are made in china and imitate the same cut and style as the trophy's and royales. Unfortunately they streched WAY to much. I have wide feet and was happy they fit in the first place. But after 5-6 rides the primo's were too big. However performance exchanged them even without a reciept. This time I got the trophy's and couldn't be happier. The trophy's and royales are made by gaerne. Really nice so far. wide up front, narrow and deep heel pocket. Price wise very reasonable. I'd still like all three, but for perfomance oriented riders (no pun intended) get the trophy's or royales. VERY impressive.

3 months

many

time atac pedals

Submitted by KIMO a Cross-Country Rider from CERRITOS, CA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 1999

Strengths:
GREAT LOOKING SHOE, VELCRO ON BOTTOM, MICRO LOCK ON TOP, GREAT LOOKING GRAY/SILVER COLOR W/ BLACK DOUBLE MESH, RED AGGRESSIVE TREAD PATTERN, SEEMS WELL VENTILATED, LIGHT, ROOMY IN TOE, SNUG IN HEEL.

Weaknesses:
CHEESY SPIKES, LOOKS LIKE ALUMINUM DRACUALA TEETH, DON'T LOOK LIKE THEY'LL LAST BUT A FEW RIDES. WILL THE MICRO ADJUST BUCKLE BE DURABLE, MAYBE AFTER A GOOD SMACK W/ SOME TRAIL STUFF???? BUT FOR DURABILITY OF THE ROYALE SHOE & BUCKLE, TIME WILL TELL.....

Bottom Line:
JUST BOUGHT THE PERFORMANCE ROYALE ATB SHOE. WELL WHAT DO YOU KNOW, PERFORMANCE HAS COME UP W/ A REAL NICE SHOE THAT'S ON PAR W/ SIDI OR ANY OTHER PRIMO ITALIAN SHOE. THE FIT IS PERFECT, IT HAS A WIDER TOE BOX, SNUG FIT IN THE HEEL. THE ROYALE SHOE IS MADE BY GAERNE, SO IT MUST BE TOP QUALITY. LOOK AT PERFORMANCE'S LATEST ELITE CATALOG, YOU'LL SEE A GAERNE ATB SHOE THAT IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE ROYALE'S, BUT W/ A DIFFERENT TREAD PATTERN. CONSTRUCTION ARE SIMILAR BUT THE GAERNE MODEL IS $50 OR SO $ MORE. THE ROYALE'S GO FOR $120. WAIT TILL THEY GO ON SALE. I SUGGEST THAT IF YOU USE FRONT SPIKES (INLCUDED), GET A SET FROM SPECIALIZED OR SOME OTHER BRAND THAT LOOK LIKE THAT THEY'LL LAST, THE SPIKES THAT COME W/ THE SHOE LOOKS WEAK. THE FIT IS GREAT, NO SLOP THAT I NOTICE. A REALLY COOL LOOKING SHOE. WILL GIVE POST REVIEW AFTER A FEW RIDES. FLY LOW & AVOID THE RADAR MY MTN BIKE BROTHERS....

ANY SO. CAL. TRAILS

SPECIALIZED ROCKHOPPER, SHIMANO MO80

TIME ATAC CARBON PEDAL ON SCHWINN HOMEGROWN XT FS, TIME ATAC POLYMIDE (PLASTIC) ON GT AVALANCHE XT HT.

Submitted by Green Giant a Cross-Country Rider from Illinois

Date Reviewed: May 30, 1999

Strengths:
fit my feet, unlike most

Weaknesses:
wish they a better retaining system, like the axo's

Bottom Line:
Just got the primos for 55 bucks on sale. Tried all the new performance shoes, my understanding is the top two (trophy and royale) are made by gaerne, and looking at gaerne's and these they look real similar and fit similar also. Tried all three on, all fit pretty well, the royales were a bit tight. For 55 bucks, these the primo's are darn nice. Wide up front which is rare, but even more rare is they are narrow in the heel and really grab. For any of you with duck feet (narrow heels, wide up front, and relatively flat) I urge you to try the new performance shoes. They are made well, and fit great. Long term durability I can't attest too, but all models can be had for under 100 on sale. I wish they had the axo velcro system, but truly not at bad shoe or line up, even for performance brand.

south kettles

All sorts of shoes from 200 bucks on down to these at 55

time atac pedals

510 flat shoes

So i started off with BMX and using platform pedals for mountain biking, if i were to FR and ride at the pike parks all the time, would the pins in the pedals eat up the bottom of 510 shoes like they do vans and other forms of shoes? i don't want to buy $120+ shoes and see them get shredded and eate ... Read More »

Specialized Pro XC Shoes/Shimano XT cleat issue

I just bought a pair of the Pro XC shoes. I'm running XT pedals and noticed a small amount of play between the cleat and pedal. I tried new cleats hoping that would resolve the issue but it still seems to be there. Any advice?Read More »

clipless compatible shoes????

So I took a tumble at SoMo coming down national. A concerned hiker said "Gee you cut yourself pretty good!" All said I know and was thinking ohh $ h! T is that why my leg is bleeding profusely! Anyway I managed to snap a strap on my 7 year old shoes and need a new pair been thinking of 5.10 h ... Read More »

New old shoes and I've hit 10 PRs in the past week.

So I recently modified a pair of my bike shoes to have a midfoot cleat position. I race Xterra and wanted to play around with this configuration as it is said to improve the run straight off the bike because it uses less calf muscle. I've ridden a few trails with this setup and while climbing midfoo ... Read More »

Best shoes for the area

I live in Western Washington and use my bike for a combo of fun and transportation. With as much as it rains here during the fall-winter-spring, I'm looking for something similar to a fairly lightweight hiking type shoe that isn't going to leave my feet drenched after riding to work, and one that I ... Read More »