Pearl Izumi X-Project 3.0 Shoes

The X-Project 3.0 MTB Shoe is designed with every type of rider in mind, delivering stiffness for on-bike performance, just the right amount flex for off-bike comfort, and a price tag that's easier on the wallet. After years of R&D and testing, Pearl Izumi has finalized their X-Project shoe line, which has the stiffness to compete with race models and the flex to remain comfortable when walking. This Men's 3.0 model forgoes carbon in favor of a nylon sole, yet still features a multi-thickness shank to achieve Pearl's balance of rigidity and comfort.

Submitted by Craig Stewart a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2014

Strengths:    Comfort and Versatility

Weaknesses:    Tight area for the cleat/pedal area on the shoe.

Bottom Line:
I had an older pair of Pearl Izumi shoes that had the three velcro straps. I think I got 8 yrs or so out of them, the only reason I needed a new pair was that the Velcro wasnt staying closed anymore. I ordered the X-Project 3.0 and a pair of Mavic Rush MTB shoes to compare. First off, the new Pearl Izumi's are sized a little differently from the old ones. I wore a 42 in the old PI's and ended up with a 44 in the X-Projects. In comparing them to the Mavic's, they just felt more snug and secure.

My first two rides with the new 3.0's were on my normal 10 mile loop. They felt fine, not much different from my old shoes except being more secure and not constantly having to reseal the velcro. On Saturday, I rode a new trail and took a wrong turn and ended up on a 4 mile hike & bike with tons of uphill. This is where I really enjoyed the new X-Project styling and capabilities of having some flex. They were comfortable, had good traction on slickrock and dirt and were comfortable the whole time, even though my navigating skills need some help.

For comparison, I wear a size 10 Nike running shoe and the Pearl Izumi X-Project 3.0 in a 44 fit me perfectly.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp, Marin County, CA