Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro Shoes

Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro MTB/Spin Cycling Shoe '08 is a performance oriented X-Alp with 2 velocro straps and 1 ratchet strap to ensure tight fit. Just like other X-Alps, Enduro gives you the versatility to walk, hike, and ride.

Submitted by TomP a Cross Country Rider from Salida

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent hike-a-bike shoe
Comfortable
Solid Uppers
Wears well

Weaknesses:    Buckle is a little sticky

Bottom Line:
I have had a pair of the PI lace-up version of the shoe, and they are a pain. Weird fit on my narrow foot, hard to tighten and loosen laces, etc. But I loved the soles. So I got a pair of these and they are a fabulous shoe for rides where one might need to get off for a while (common for what we ride here in Central Colorado). They are a little heavy and large, but that's what kind of shoe they are. The buckles kind of stick open sometimes, and I worry that I might break one getting it unstuck, but so far they've been bomber. And PI has a solid warranty. I have not needed it, but I trust they will work with me if anything breaks.

Favorite Trail:   Rainbow

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Dominators

Bike Setup:   Tomac Diplomat with Reba

Submitted by Colddiver98 a Weekend Warrior from PNW, OR

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable and secure fit right out of the box. The soles have enough support for heavy pedaling and enough flex for hike-a-bike. Very breathable and make a great warm weather shoe. Buckles offer enough adjustment for a snug fit without cutting off circulation.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Very comfortable shoe, but a little too breathable for cold days. Holding up well with about 350 miles on them so far.

Favorite Trail:   MRT

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Answer, Specialized, AXO

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0 for AM use

Submitted by Brtp4 a Cross Country Rider from Bend, OR USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, excellent sole design and compound, good to walk in.

Weaknesses:    Materials used for upper stretch - not good!!

Bottom Line:
I purchased these because I was looking for a shoe with a stiff sole, that was good to walk in. Sole design and compound is great, but the shoe has one huge, glaring problem: The materials used for the upper stretch. This applies especially to the vent fabric on the side, but the PVC used has a fair amount of give also. This makes it all but impossible to get the shoe tight I max the buckles out even after adding a footbed) and affects power transfer A LOT. They are really comfortable, but using a material that stretches on a cycling shoe is a glaring error, and the Product Manager who spec'd materials for this should be caned.

Favorite Trail:   Mrazek

Purchased At:   Pearl Outlet

Similar Products Used:   Sidi, Pearl, Alpinestars, Duegi

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpy FSR 120 Expert

Submitted by Chris V. a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln, Ne

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to walk in. Very comfortable for all day wear. Wider then a normal bike shoe so they fit my feet nicely.

Weaknesses:    Not sure they are going to hold up for the long haul. I have about 6-8 months use and 1000-1500mi on these shoes and they are starting to really wear.

Bottom Line:
I bought these shoes in Feb 08 and have put lots of time in on them. My riding consists of commuting, gravel road rides, and lastly some single track trail rides when I can get out to do it. So, here are some quick thoughts for each. I have these shoes on my feet 4-6 times per week at intervals of 30min-10 hours. Much of the time I am off the bike walking.

Commuting: These shoes work great. They are stiff enough and have lots of room in the toe box. They walk easily and the heal has some shock absorbtion.

Gravel Roads: Again, they are comfortable on long 3-5 hour rides. The longest day out for me with these shoes was a 6 hr ride.

Single Track: Well, sadly I have not been on much single track this year. The shoes work fine for me, but I suppose those who want a very aggressive and light weight racing shoe would want to look else where.

I like this pair of shoes quite a bit. But there has been some wear problems. The inside of the heal cup on each shoe are wearing holes through the material. And the right shoe has started clicking badly while I pedal. I believe the sound is coming from inside the sole near where the cleats attach. 4 Chilis because I do think this shoe works well, and is worth the 100 bucks I spent on it.

Buy from your LBS!!

Purchased At:   Cycle Works (LBS in

Similar Products Used:   Specialized products.

Bike Setup:   Do you really care?

Submitted by Nige a Weekend Warrior from Bahrain

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2008

Strengths:    Good fitting shoe, very comfortable, looks good. The buckle ratchet is simple to use and effective in getting a snug fit.

Weaknesses:    No half sizes.

Bottom Line:
Not a full on race shoe, but great for knocking around on the trails and comfy enough to walk in. The construction feels a little light weight but so far there are no concerns about durability. Fit is true to size but a shame they don't make half sizes.

Purchased At:   Jensons