Pearl Izumi Vagabond Mtn II Shoes

3.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Nylon I-Beam design for stiffness. Aggressive tread for traction and durability. Natural leather and Cordura upper. 3 Velcro straps adjust to the perfect fit. Compatible with most clipless pedal systems.

Submitted by Michael a Racer from Flagstaff

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2008

Strengths:    Looks cool, comfortable. Easy velcro straps keep shoe in place.

Weaknesses:    Poorly made seams

Bottom Line:
Great shoe for the money. However they are not made for those with wide feet such as myself. After about a year and a half of heavy usage, the seams began to split and now I must tape them up before my races. If you have narrower feet though, I highly recommend since they are a really good shoe for what you pay for.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR-Sl

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Strengths:    Comfortable, very stiff, look good.

Weaknesses:    A little narrow, middle of sole very slick makes peddling unclipped a bit challenging.

Bottom Line:
You can't beat these shoes for the price. When I first got them I thought they were too tight, but I read a suggestion to not tighten the lower straps too much and now they feel great. They are very comfortable and STIFF. They are well ventilated which is great for the summer. I haven't tried them in the rain yet though. They are pretty close to much higher end shoes that cost over $200. If you find they at a good price, grab 'em. You can buy 4 pairs for the price of Sidis.

Favorite Trail:   Any in Annadel

Purchased At:   WheelWorld

Similar Products Used:   Old Shimano MTB shoes.

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg

Submitted by Ratt a Cross Country Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2006

Strengths:    price

Weaknesses:    Tongue dug into my ankle, only comes in whole sizes, toe box crushed the sides of my toes, didn't hold my heel too well, plain looks

Bottom Line:
Shoe fit is very subjective and i don't want to poison anyone from these shoes but my foot loves the fit of Sidi Dom 5s and Specialized shoes. I got these because i thought they were the best shoe under $75. Rode them for 2 rides and they sucked, took them right back and my shoe search continues. I may have to move my pricepoint up a bit, who know it may reach $230 and i will get those Sidis.

Favorite Trail:   Any long single track

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Presently on a shoe search, tried on many so far

Bike Setup:   lite xc fs

Submitted by Nick B a Weekend Warrior from catonsville, MD (5 min away from avalon) USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2005

Strengths:    lightweight, breathable, water resistant, non absorbant, cheap, stiff, looks ok, three straps allow people with wide feet to tighten the upper portion and leave the lower portion of the shoe loose, so you aren't crushing your feet but your getting the heel hold you need

Weaknesses:    not many... a ratchet on these shoes would make them comparable to the highest end shimanos. also, the of the sole under the arch is very slick, so pedaling unclipped can be trickey

Bottom Line:
tip: don't over tighten, it'll make your toes numb eventually. when using w/ crank brother's candy pedals you need to use the cleat shim to avoid tread interferance.

for the price, these shoes are unbeatable. a great xc shoe. i use them on my long travel bike and my single speed, they handle drops and large amounts of rider induced force. they also hike through anything. get 'em.

Favorite Trail:   horse farm loop

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   2004 liquid 130mm rear travel, 150mm sherman, sun single tracks, ruffian lock ons, crank bro's candys, hayes hydros (8, 6), e 13 basher, xtr rear derr.