Pearl Izumi Vagabond M4 Shoes

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Pearl Izumi Vagabond M4 Mountain Cycling Shoe is ideal for any entry level to medium rider. A performance-oriented mountain biking shoe that can also be used in a Spin class. Three velcro straps provide a snug custom fit to the foot. Black/Silver color

Submitted by Chris from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2008

Strengths:    Solid, firm, comfortable, breathes very well-can walk in them despite them being "race" shoes.

Weaknesses:    feet get very wet when river crossing- cleat placement was a little far back from the balls of my feet

Bottom Line:
Good quality shoes that breathe well and are incredibly comfortable. i walked 15kms in them up a rocky mountain trail-a walking trail and had very little problems with them. good value for money-at rrp

Favorite Trail:   the 1 I made around my local primary school

Similar Products Used:   None-my 1st pair of cleated shoes

Bike Setup:   XC hardtail

Submitted by Raymond a Cross Country Rider from Huntsville, TX USA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2008

Strengths:    Number one strength is price! Best value of any shoe I looked at, and now that I have ridden on them for about 6 months, I am sold completly on "clipping in". The sole is very rigid which seems to help transfer your energy to the pedals. They fit well, and are comfortable enough for a 70 mile mountain bike marathon (South Texas Death Ride).

Weaknesses:    On the right shoe, I can feel the cleat pressing up through the sole. The same shoe developed a clicking sound when I walk no matter how tight I make the cleat.

Bottom Line:
The shoe cannot be beat for the price. I wonder if I had spent more if I would have the problems that I have with the right shoe, (see weaknesses above) but those problems don't out-weigh the benefits --- to me. This is absolutely the shoe to buy for your first pair of clipless pedals, no doubt. Find them on sale in the fifty dollar range though, 'cause at $80.00 I think there may be better choices.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill, Smithville

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   These are the first clipless shoes I have owned.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300 (hardtail) w/LX,XT, & Manitou upgrades.

Submitted by Avi a Cross Country Rider from Potomac, MD

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2007

Strengths:    Very Stiff.
Very Comfortable.
Only one comfortable for my wide feet.
Very Stylish.

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
This being my first set of cleat shoes, I have a very limited view of how they compare to others.

As for getting them, they were more comfortable for my wide feet than any of the other shoes I tried, even the ones that were in "wide" sizes.

They totally transformed my level of biking skill. I can go exponentially farther and faster with these with less effort than before. It's truly amazing. Can't beat them for the value. If you need some shoes that are a great value and are also very cool looking, these are for you.

Will post more later after more riding.

Favorite Trail:   Whatever I can get to

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Mesh shoes I used with platforms.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush 4 '07 w/ Crank Bros Eggbeaters

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2007

Strengths:    Good fit, very comfy (i have BAD feet) lightweight, sole is very rigid but has great traction; good value for the price (on sale at REI). I use them on both, my mountain bike and my road bike. If you want a good shoe without spending a bundle this is good choice.

Weaknesses:    Some platform pedals may not work too well with this shoe (i have pedals with platform on one side and SPD ont the other)

Bottom Line:
Very good shoe for the money (retails for $80) If you have problem feet this shoe may work for you, comfortable and roomy.

Purchased At:   REI