Pearl Izumi Vagabond M3 Shoes

3.4/5 (5 Reviews)

• Nylon I-Beam construction
  • Aggressive tread with a tacky gripping surface
  • Updated anatomical 3-strap Velcro closure system
  • 360-degree reflectivity
  • EVA comfort footbed cradles the foot

Submitted by mtbnachos a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2008

Strengths:    Price, functional, dry quick

Weaknesses:    Durability, wet surfaces

Bottom Line:
These shoes are hanging on to dear life. They are about falling apart and for good reason. Been using them hard the last 2 years and stitching is coming apart. The tread is very slippery on wet surfaces. I must say they did me a good job and moving on to 661 shoes. Good performance and value. I would definitely recommend for beginner SPD riders.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon, CA

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Vassago Jabber

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Castle Rock, CO

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Strengths:    Pearl Izumi customer support
New designs and incorporation of lessons learned

Bottom Line:
I emailed Pearl Izumi about my shoes, including pictures, and told them about how quickly they wore out and how unhappy I've been with them. I didn't know what model year they were since I bought them from a shop that was going out of business. Then I didn't use them for another year because I kept flogging my old pair. Anyway, turns out they were 2002 models and Pearl said "We've learned a lot about making shoes since then. We'd like to send you a new pair. What size and what address?" That was it -- they are totally taking care of me. I've gone from very angry with Pearl to totally delighted! In the course of exchanging messages with them, I realized I have 4 or 5 pair of Pearl shorts, several jerseys, a couple pair of gloves, some CalienToes, and who knows what else. All of it has been very high quality at reasonable prices. They missed on the Vagabond shoes from 2002, but are willing to make it up to me in 2008. Wow! 5 red hot chilli's!

Favorite Trail:   Technical

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Castle Rock, CO

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2007

Strengths:    Tongue stays straight

Weaknesses:    Longevity

Bottom Line:
They fit well and I liked them at first, but they have fallen apart recently and very rapidly. The lugs are garbage -- they are wearing very quickly and are coming off in chunks. I bought them because the deep tread kept the cleats from hitting the ground so I thought that would increase the lifespan of my cleats. Well, the tread has worn so rapidly that I'm now walking on the cleats. And a couple of big chunks of tread have come off. Definitely did not get my money's worth. Going back to Shimano (moderately priced, lasted several years) or Sidi (expensive but wearing well, I only use them for xc racing).

Favorite Trail:   Rocks, roots, techincal

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Sidi

Bike Setup:   Irreleveant

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2007

Strengths:    Inexpensive, easy strap system, quick to get in and out of, very lightweight. Durable.

Weaknesses:    Better have a toe cover/booty when it is even mildly cold (less than 45-50 degrees) due to the breathable mesh in the upper section.

Bottom Line:
I am actually a road biker, but I bought these mountain shoes instead of the road line because I wanted to be able to walk around without a problem. Walking around sure is no problem, and I do not think there is any disadvantage to using these instead of road shoes.

After one and half years and 4,000 miles or so, these shoes are still going as strong as ever, so they have more than proven their durability. Furthermore, these shoes only use three straps of velcro, so getting them on and off is snap. (A lot of shoes have an additional ski-type strap.) Also, the shoes are understated enough that I can wear these when biking in street clothes without too much of a clash just as well as when I am fully "geared up."

I have used these both with Speedplay frog pedals and Shimano SPDs, and it was fine for both.

The upper part is mesh, so that it is breathes for warm weather. But when it gets anywhere under 45-50 degrees and there is a wind, you better have your toe cover/booty ready.

Purchased At:   Paragon Sports, NYC

Similar Products Used:   None, besides ordinary sneakers/tennis shoes. This was my first cycling-specific shoe.

Bike Setup:   2006 LeMond Reno double aluminum road bike. All original except for saddle and back tire.

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Spanish Fork, UT

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2007

Strengths:    Good Looks, Comfortable, Fair Price, Good Mountain Tread, Easy to Clean, Nylon I-Beam for Good Weight Distrubution

Weaknesses:    Pressure Points from Velcro Straps, Haven't had long; not sure on durability

Bottom Line:
This shoes and the Shimano M520 pedals are the first clipless pedals I've owned. I had a few problems with the pedals at first, due to lack of experience and proper adjusting.

The shoes are great. The price was good, and they perform well on the mountain. The mountain tread is good, and they are easy to hike up a hill with. They don't play well with water, and offer zero protection if you have to walk through a creek or stream. However, they ventilate very well keeping you feet cool and dry; they also dry quickly after walking through said creek or stream.

So far, I'm very happy with them. For the shoes and pedals I spent $115, which was not a bad price to pay for my first set of clipless.

Favorite Trail:   Capital Peak, Olympia, WA