Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX Shoes

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

Frigid temperatures, drifting snow, unrelenting drizzle and gale force winds are no match for the Barrier GTX. This is the no holds barred winter riding shoe.
  • Gore Tex lining for waterproof protection
  • Rubber toe cap for added durability
  • Integrated gaiter and water-resistant
  • Internal speed-lacing system for an exact fit

Submitted by RiderJ a Cross Country Rider from Jenison,Michigan,USA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2010

Strengths:    Keeps my feet warm

Weaknesses:    Ankle cuff does not come up high enough. I also think that the sole of the shoe is crap! I slip off my pedals. I slip on the pavement. I definatly slip on the ice. This slippage does not happen with my shimano winter boots.

Bottom Line:
These boots keep your feet warm for a while, then the cold creeps up from the sole. The sole is also hard as a rock and slick as a wet one. I think the sole makes the shoe complete junk! I will sell these and buy another pair of the Shimano MW80 shoes. The lace system is nice though, as long as the plastic thingy is working properly. If you want a well made boot that keeps your feet warm and won't slip on the ground then don't buy these. Maybe PI will make there sole a little more sticky in the future.

Purchased At:   Used on Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Lake 300(didn't like) and Shimano MW80(love this shoe)

Bike Setup:   Two wheels, two pedals, one rider!

Submitted by vworth a Cross Country Rider from Farmington, NM

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2010

Strengths:    waterproof in snow and slush. together with smartwool socks keep me toasty warm below 10*F. Have so far stood up to riding almost every day this winter.

Weaknesses:    perfectly satisfied so far

Bottom Line:
Believe it or not, it gets cold in northern New Mexico / southern Colorado. I never could keep my feet warm before. This has also been a snowy winter and so far my feet have never gotten wet. Very glad I spent the money on these.

Favorite Trail:   Road Apple

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   neoprene booties, toe covers, gore-tex sox, plastic bags, ALL Garbage!

Bike Setup:   Cannondale rush

Submitted by B Rad a Cross Country Rider from Concord

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable, it is like biking in slippers! Keeps feet dry! Easy on and off.

Weaknesses:    Not very warm below 30 degrees!

Bottom Line:
This is a great boot for biking down to about 32 degrees. It is super comfortable and very easy to get into. It is not as warm as I thought it would be. Even in the 30's I use foot bed warmers. The best thing about this boot is good bye to those stupid pull over booties that are so hard to put on.

Favorite Trail:   Too Many!

Purchased At:   S&W Sports

Bike Setup:   yes

Submitted by Deaf_Guy a Weekend Warrior from Culpeper, va

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable and well made

Weaknesses:    Sized small. I ordered 1 size larger and should have gone 1.5. Poor performance

Bottom Line:
These shoes are very comfortable and have a good look and feel to them. They are better that your regular shoes with covers but if you're looking for a knockout punch for old man winter then you may want to look elsewhere. If you're just looking to extend your riding season then the Perls might be for you but for $180 I expected a lot more than they deliver.

Favorite Trail:   GW national forest

Purchased At:   http://www.bikesonli

Bike Setup:   Elsworth Truth and KHS Solo one SE

Submitted by agriholic a Racer from Manhattan, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2009

Strengths:    waterproof, comfortable for short outings, good grip on snow, soles are durable, stiff, pleasing to the eye.

Weaknesses:    My feet sweat a lot, and once my feet are wet they get cold. Period.
They are not cheap, but if you are riding in temps below 35F very often they are very nice.

Bottom Line:
I feel that these are great for winter commuting, and shorter jaunts. My wife and I did a 6 hour gravel road race on our mountain tandem in 30 degree weather, and my feet were cold for about 4 of the 6 hours. Still, better than any overshoes I have ever used.
I have also used these for CX races when things are wet and snowy, and they are phenomenal at making a unpleasant endeavor more bearable(kind of heavy though). I highly recommend using the toe spikes for extra grip, and it helps reduce the wear on the outsoles.

Favorite Trail:   Fisher Creek

Purchased At:   Gift

Submitted by kmb71 a Weekend Warrior from Casteau, Belgium

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2009

Strengths:    It's a PI product. W

Weaknesses:    PI doesn't make a road version.

Bottom Line:
Living and riding in Belgium, I tried a lot of things to keep my feet warm and dry. Nothing worked as well as these shoes. Yes, they cost more than a typical mtn shoe. But so's a few hours in the ER with hypothermia or frostbite. If you ride in the winter, cold/wet/muddy trails, inclement weather, or live in Belgium - get these shoes. I wear them year round and they breathe enough during the summer that my feet don't feel too warm. Another great product by PI.

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   Nike, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar FS

Submitted by brokepost a Cross Country Rider from Woodstock, Ga U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Strengths:    very comfortable, warm and water proof. has 200 grams of thinsulate for extra protection from the cold.

Weaknesses:    I not sure its a weakness, but you should order at least 1 size up. shoes seem to run a little small

Bottom Line:
so far a love these boots, i've worn them in the rain and in sub freezing weather and my feet stayed nice and warm.
they seem more shoe like when compared to the lakes; there very light.

i'm not sure about durability, will review later, but for now they are best winter shoes/boot i've tried.

Favorite Trail:   Pinhotti

Similar Products Used:   answer winter mtb shoe

Bike Setup:   fango castellano with sram/middle of the road components.

Submitted by zasker a Cross Country Rider from NH

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable, Dry and warm at least to 15 degrees in snow freezing rain and ice. Nice grip on the sole and easy to get in and out of.

Bottom Line:
If you ride all winter and want a solid shoe that will keep your feet dry get these.

Favorite Trail:   Porcipine Rim

Purchased At:   Performance Downhill

Bike Setup:   IF Deluxe, IF "no-travel" fork, Magura Marta SL brakes, Easton post and bars, WTB hubs and Mavic UST rims, WTB pure v saddle and Nokian Extreme 296 winter tires.

Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX Winter Shoes

Just picked up a pair of these after doing a ton of research on winter shoes. Great deal at Outside Outfitters....currently at $195.99 (Retail = $250) and they have almost all sizes in stock. Next best price I could find was $218. [URL="http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/ps-11394-1130-pearl-izu ... Read More »

pearl izumi GTX Barrier winter boots

I was wondering if anybody wears these? If so are they warm? I am thinking of getting a pair. I have lake 301's now, and I am considering different boots. ThanksRead More »

Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX Winter Cycling Shoe

Now Pearl has a new winter shoe. I like them cause they have more refective on them. I've been using Lake winter boots since 1998. I really like them and the price is justifiable. Any one use the pearls yet. And did you have lakes before that.Read More »