Northwave Super Compact Shoes

3.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Northwave Super Compact

Submitted by m a Racer from Croatia

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
good.

Submitted by Mathias a Racer from Austria

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2004

Strengths:    Convert power into speed. Very comfortable for the first 5 hours - it seems they made them just for my feet.

Weaknesses:    when walking a lot the sole breaks off but they aren't made to run marathons with them. A bit painful when wearing them longer than 5 hours a day.

Bottom Line:
These are the best shoes for cycling fast!
I am a bike courier and use them a lot, whith these shoes I can accerlate really fast and get great top speeds. When running up the stairs a lot the sole breaks at the end of the shoe, it's not a big problem because the shoemaker can glue them within 5 minutes and then they're good again for months.
I also use them for riding downhill with my Big Hit when I have to ride up the mountain first. Uphill with Freeride shoes makes my bike feel twice as heavy as it actually is.
If you feel comfortable when wearing them, want to ride fast and don't walk a lot with them: buy them.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Nortwhave Freeride, Sidi winter shoes

Bike Setup:   1st Bike: Specialized Big Hit; 2nd Bike: custom hardtail, Time Pedals

Submitted by Mike Zaborowski a Cross Country Rider from New Brunswick NJ

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2003

Strengths:    lightweight

Weaknesses:    NO durability, clips pop open during ride

Bottom Line:
I bought these thinking they were a good deal. They weren't. After a few rides the sole started falling off. The clips also came undone when i had to walk the bike up terrain that was too steep to ride.
They're pretty light though...

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Rock

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Diadora Jalapeno

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000, xt

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2001

Strengths:    fit, adjustability, comfort

Weaknesses:    durability, cost

Bottom Line:
this is a review for the NW Compact (one notch below the supercompact). I rode these shoes across the country. They were incredibly comfortable (the only shoes I brought for the 4000 mile trip.) They were very stiff when I bought them--but they softened up after a few months. I finally checked them out, and both of the soles were cracked. One had cracked completely in half, and the other was about 2/3 of the way gone. I e-mailed northwave, and they never got back to me, so I took the shoes to Pro Bikes, and they gave me credit towards the NW Stealth. After I had exchanged the shoes, I got a reply from NW--who gave me the address of a shoe-repair place... did not sound like they were going to cover the damage under warranty.

so--I am not a heavy rider (150 lbs). These shoes were ridden mostly on the road, and they still broke after less than six months of use. I had a pair of $50 shimano's that lasted four times as long. I also question how NW stands by their product--if it was not for my LBS, I could have been stuck fixing them on my own.

Now I have the Stealth's. They have a carbon sole, which hopefully will not break on me. but the thin laces are hard to tighten, and one of the clicker-adjuster things broke after a week. I think the compact's velcro straps were a better system... I guess I could take them back and get the clicker thing replaced, but I'm just sick of dealing with them.

can't beat them for comfort, stiffness, and fit (five chilis)--it's a shape I can't find a pair that won't break(minus 1 chili for each NW shoe that has broken).

Purchased At:   Pro Bikes, Asheville

Bike Setup:   fisher HT

Submitted by DAVID BEN-HAIM a Cross Country Rider from ISRAEL

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2001

Strengths:    Very comfortable.
Stiff sole.
Good looking.
Original locking system that seems to be working well.

Weaknesses:    Sole started to take apart after less than 1 month of riding.
Outer parts of the shoe seem to be too gentle for a mountain
bike shoe.
Expensive.

Bottom Line:
The shoe felt like a glove on my feet and I liked it.
It was quiet good on the trail also.
I ride 2 to 3 times a week for a couple of hours and
after less than a month I noticed that the sole starts getting apart from the shoe.
I hope that the shop will replace it.
I know others with tha same shoe and their's are O.K.
Although I liked the shoe, I cannot except a 160$ product
to last less than a month!

Similar Products Used:   AXO

Bike Setup:   MARIN Mount Vision 2001 with SHIMANO M536 Clipless Pedals

Submitted by Mikael Arnesson a Weekend Warrior from Avesta/Sweden

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    (Northwave Stealth)
-Good lookin', fits my feet superb.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Stealth 2001 model, since I didn't find a review of it.

The Stealth's feels very good on my feet.
Was a little worried purchasing them over internet, but now, I don't regret it. They are really stiff, MIDSOLE
Special FPL (Frame Power Link).
They are a bit pricey, but that shouldn't be stoppin' you.
I recommend them warmly.