Northwave Raptor S.B.S Shoes

3.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The Raptor SBS has a special 3D structure that protects and stabilises the foot while pedalling, even in harsh conditions. The fit is extraordinary, and the Carbon Reinforced sole adapts to all kinds of use – whether amateur or competitive – ensuring excellent efficiency on all types of terrain.

Submitted by midlifechrisis a Cross Country Rider from Ipswich

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff sole.
Comfortable for those with wider feet.
Front vents really effective on hot summer rides.

Weaknesses:    Weak ratchet system.
Side mesh tears.
Needed to cut the tongue.
Poor insert.
Bulky looking.
Front vents take water in too easily & give you freezing feet on cold rides.

Bottom Line:
I bought these two years ago on sale price. The first changes I had to make were to remove the flat uncomfortable insert & replace it with the Specialized BG inserts from my old shoes. 100% more comfortable. I also found the tongue too long which cut into my ankles, so I cut slits in to make them work for me. After that they worked great for a year and a half until both ratchet buckles broke (they always felt too flimsy). The mesh sides between the "leather" strips began to rip as well.
For all these reasons I wont be looking at Northwave for my next pair of shoes. I'll probably get Specialized again, as the BG inserts are the comfiest I've tried.

Favorite Trail:   Coed y Brenin

Purchased At:   Evans, UK

Similar Products Used:   Specialized.

Submitted by Green Giant a Cross Country Rider from michigan

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2009

Strengths:    Quality build, width is nice, pricing available is great.

Weaknesses:    northwaves sizing chart is mediocre

Bottom Line:
Wow, great shoe even at $150 bucks. I've been really happy with the shoe. It's comfortable and has a bit more width that most other brands. Sole is nice and stiff and the buckle system is outstanding. Best system I've used for that top buckle. It has a microadjust feature that is awesome.

Northwave's sizing chart is a bit off in my opinion so beware. For instance I wear a 10-10.5 wide shoe and northwaves chart put me at a 43-43.5, I ended up in a 44 like I do most other shoes.

Shoes are personal obviously, but from a build and comfort standpoint these are great, the buckle system is very nice, and the value out there is outstanding. If you have a narrow foot - use northwaves sizing chart or look elsewhere.

I did find the 43.5 was too short and the 44 a shade long, but after adding a nice insole with some arch support these are GREAT.

Purchased At:   backcountry.com

Similar Products Used:   all sorts of shoes

Bike Setup:   Racer X 29er, Sycip 29er SS

Submitted by deenj a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Strengths:    Strong Sole, S.B.S. system is awesome for getting out quickly. Extra vents in toe & upper are awesome for breathability, but not "breezy"

Weaknesses:    Cleats slip a little, but maybe I didn't tighten them good enough?

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure I would pay full price for these guys, but if you find a deal, they're awesome. If my budget allowed $120, I probably would've considered Sidi's as well, but for the price, these are great. They're very comfortable, and I've never had blisters from long rides.

Favorite Trail:   Erwin Park, McKinney