Home | Reviews | Shoes | North

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Comp

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Keizer, OR

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2002

Strengths:    Durability, weight, rigidity, heel support

Weaknesses:    Oh those wacky colors...

Bottom Line:
Great shoes. I am tough on them, but they have lasted without even a tiny rip. They breath very well, and as a result are not a great winter/rain shoe. I got covers for the colder weather and I'm fine now.
Awesome shoes - I got mine for $75 on closeout - too bad I can't find anymore!

Favorite Trail:   McKenzie River

Purchased At:   Tri-City Sports in CA

Similar Products Used:   Diadoro Chili

Bike Setup:   '01 Moab 1 w/ Mavic Crossride, Thompson SP.

Submitted by derek a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington, DE

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2001

Strengths:    The fit.
The fit.
The fit.
Everything done right.

Weaknesses:    Non yet.

Bottom Line:
The shoes I have are the 2001 Compact. I'm not sure if these are the same shoes as the other reviews, but they are the closest in price. These shoes fit so well. They are the best fitting shoes I've ever found, including non-cycling shoes. I think the big thing is the heel cup. My foot doesn't wiggle yet there are no pressure points. Awesome fit! Compared to my old Shimano's they more comforatable, a little stiffer, yet the sole seem to be just as easy to walk with. The Yuha's I bought mail order, and upon receiving them and riding with them once, put them imediately up on ebay. What crap. After those, I barely thought about spending the extra cash on these shoes. They are not cheap, but comfort is worth it. Also the three velcro strap closier, is plenty enough to get the shoes on tight, and is so much easier than laces and velcro. My feet have never been happier.

Similar Products Used:   Nike Yuha.
Shimano M110.

Bike Setup:   Yes.

Submitted by Mountain Man a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2001

Strengths:    Northwave quality, stiff midsole, soft rubber outsole for grip, good three velcro strap closure system, heel cup, awesome Italian colour scheme (now those cars will see me!)

Weaknesses:    Urrmmmmm...... price, if you buy them at full cost.

Bottom Line:
These shoes are great. The fit, looks, and overall quality simply can't be beaten. I have the blue/neon yellow version, and now I never go unnoticed. The shoes are nice and cool, with good ventilation and drying properties gained from the generous use of a strong mesh throughout various spots on the shoe.
In my experience, Northwave makes the best heel cups. They're comfortable, and my heel is snug and won't pull out no matter how hard I pull up on the pedal.
These shoes have the option to add toe spikes at the front — the slots are a little more widely spaced than most others, which is the way they should be.
The Northwaves are handbuilt in Italy, not machine-built in Taiwan like cheap non-Italian shoes. I love these shoes and hope they last me for years to come. 5 chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Bird Sanctuary

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   New Balance 803 running shoes, tried out Northwave Elite

Bike Setup:   '00 Schwinn Moab 1, upgraded with Thomson, Syncros, Profile, etc... Ritchey Logic Pedals

Submitted by Lisa Mulzet a cross-country rider from British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

I decided to go to a stiffer shoe because I am beginning to do a bit of racing. I tried several different brands. Answer, Lake, Shimano, North Wave. I decided to either go with the high end Shimano's or the North Wave Comps. Based on fit, I chose the North Wave Comp. It fits a narrow heel well because of it's heel cup. So far they have held up (6 weeks). They dry quickly and clean easily. They now fit my feet even better than when I bought them. The sole is nice and stiff. However, I have noticed some problems climbing steep rocky/muddy sections on foot but I don't have the spikes either. I really like them but had trouble swallowing the price. I still feel a bit guilty about buying such extravagant shoes.