Home | Reviews | Shoes | Nike

2.08/5 (59 Reviews)

Nike Supa Pooh Bah

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Arundel

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2005

Strengths:    I don't know what you are all going on about - these shoes are superb. I have owned them for ages and they are in great condition. They are warm in the winter, breathable in the summer, light, comfortable and great value for money. Provided you hose them off at the end of each ride, and use some thread lock on the SPD bolts you will never have a problem with them, but the same can be said for all shoes.

Weaknesses:    Well, the laces are too long. You guys don't own scissors? If you look closeley you will see there are two sets of holes in the shoe, and if you thread through all of them it uses all the lace. I don't, I just use the inner set, and it took me all of 1 minute to cut them down and melt the end with a match. Yup, the rubber will wear away...maybe you shouldn't put your feet diwn so much!

Bottom Line:
Awesome shoe. Warm in winter, cool in summer. (Bear in mind I live in the UK, so they could get too hot if you live in Arizona or somewhere...). Durable. Machine washable. The best shoe for multi-season XC by far.

Similar Products Used:   Specialised race type shoe and something horrible by SIDI years ago.

Bike Setup:   Specialised Stumpy FSR 120 2005.

Submitted by Fitz a Weekend Warrior from Burbank

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
The name says it all pooh = s**t. It started as a mountain shoe with lots of studs and ended as a road shoe, sleek as the pavement.
THIS SHOE REALLY SUCKS. and the rating is a chili without the flame. As the old saying goes you pay for what you get, believe the case here is you paying a whole lot for what you get.

Favorite Trail:   moab desert

Purchased At:   cycling store

Submitted by Tom Lory a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2000

Strengths:    styling, color, materials used, 3/4 hi design ,Nike swish partly hidden, yellow logo color matches Judy SLs

Weaknesses:    I've taken three short (less than an hour each)rides in these shoes and ALL the rubber cleats have chunked off the front half of the soles on both shoes, cheesy heel strap adjuster, stock laces are easily 2 feet too long, shoe collar rubs ankle bone

Bottom Line:
Ready for the garbage after 3 rides due to poor rubber compound used in sole.

Favorite Trail:   "Highway 9"

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   98 Santa Cruz Heckler with XT build kit, Judy SL, Rock Shox Super Deluxe, White Industries cranks, Shimano 747 pedals, Chris King headset, Kore 130mm 10 degree, Scott Team Vertigo downhill bars, XT V-brakes with Avid SD 1.9L, XT Rapidfire shifters, XT derailleurs, White Industries sealed front hub, Bontrager Red Label rim, 15G butted spokes, aluminum nipples, radial laced, XT skewer, XT rear hub, Bontrager Red Label rim, 15G butted spokes, aluminum nipples, radial/3-cross, XT skewer, Panaracer Duster II 2.1 set, Terry Liberator saddle.

Submitted by Ms. Crabtree a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2000

Strengths:    There ok. I have had them for three years and bo real complaints. Fit is ok. Durable.

Weaknesses:    THey are tough to put on. The sole is flexing

Bottom Line:
Ah there fine.

Bike Setup:   Building a new one. Present 1993 trek 930

Submitted by Steve a Cross-Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: May 29, 1999

Strengths:
cheap price

Weaknesses:
cheap construction

Bottom Line:
I'm adding this review to help all of you other who got hosed like I did. These shoes SUCK! The rubber lugs on the soles fall apart damn near when you look at them. But since I was dumb enough to but them without looking here at the reviews, I WAS smart enough to look after I did, and heard that others have contacted Nike. So, I e-mailed Nike, and promptly received an e-mail reply. They sent a return authorization tag, so I sent them back in. It said to wait 4-6 weeks for a response, so I finally called them after 8 weeks with no word from them. Their rep was great, and immediately get a new pair of shoes out to me. I had a choice of Inyo or Inyo Mids, and chose the Mids. A much better shoe, with a very nice sole that so far has worked well. In short, the shoe was a pile of s**t, but Nike did what they should have done to rectify the complaint.

1 Year

Nike Yuha Plus, Nike Inyo Mid

Giant XtC DS1 XT/XTR

Submitted by Mark MacNab a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, ON

Date Reviewed: April 10, 1999

Strengths:
comfortable for walking around

Weaknesses:
they will break. Yes, they will, definately

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your time or money. I've broken 3 pair of these and the shop got sick of seeing me and finally gave me a pair of answers and they're not as comfortable but at least I'm not walking out of the bush with the soles of my shoes stuck in my pockets!
(is there a rating lower than one??)

Gatineau park

2 Years

Answer, Shimano

Rocky Mountain Hardtail
Mantis Pro floater with AMP f3

Submitted by Jimi Surf a Weekend Warrior from Vangroover

Date Reviewed: March 25, 1999

Strengths:
Covered laces

Weaknesses:
Everything else:
Sole falls or breaks off
semi - comfortable
cleats move

Bottom Line:
What the others have said is true: They Will fall apart. This was my first pair of any cycling shoe and compared to my friends shoes from other manufacturers, these BITE.....

2 Years

Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

Submitted by Mud a cross-country rider from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: February 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've had these shoes for a couple of years now (through warrantee replacements) and have to review them before the trash collectors put them out of their misery tomorrow... Basically repeating what others have found:Soles that disintegrate if you even look at them; snaps that crack at the slightest impact; and a fastening mechanism that just seems to want to tear apart.
The only reason I've kept them for the past few years is that they're pretty warm (wind-proof) in winter.So long, Supa (Crappy) Pooh Bah.P.S. Maybe Nike should stick to sports they know something about!

Submitted by Wilhelm a weekend warrior from Clermont, FL

Date Reviewed: February 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

I'm pretty much repeating what has already been said. After only one ride the lugs on the soles began to tear off. After two months, they were completely slick on the bottom; a nightmare should you need to push your bike through any mud or clay, or walk across a log during a stream crossing. I am giving two chilis instead of one due to the fact that beyond the soles, the damn things won't fall apart though I wish they would.

Submitted by Paul a cross-country rider from Frankfurt, Germany

Date Reviewed: February 2, 1999

Bottom Line:

I bought these shoes about 6 months ago and have ridden them at least two times a week since. I haven't had the problem of the sole falling apart or anything like that which surprises me since I pretty much hate the shoe and would like to b*tch about that as well. Anyway, the fits sucks and I just can't get them to sit right on my foot. I only paid 40 bucks or so for them and they are my first Nike MTB shoe (and definately my last!) Being the cheap b*stard that I am though, I can't get myself to toss em and just buy new ones. They still look pretty new. I really want them to start falling apart so I can finally justify getting rid of them. Anyone have a dog who needs something to chew on? Summary: Nike MTB shoes suck, don't fit right, and tease you into buying them with their cheap, we want to get rid of these crap shoe, prices.

Submitted by Jason a weekend warrior from Jacksonville, FL

Date Reviewed: January 19, 1999

Bottom Line:

Got a pair of Poobah 2s on clearance - now I know why they were cheap. Because they suck! The fit was all wrong, and the sole split across the arch after one small jump. I went back to the pair of old specialized spd shoes that I had originally replaced with the poobahs and they are still running good. Nike can blow me

Submitted by Todd L. a cross-country rider from Dallas, Tx

Date Reviewed: November 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

Yep, they pretty much suck. Mine haven't self-destructed, but they fit like the cheap Asian sweathouse shoes they are. These things are tight in some places, and loose in others. Nike used to really do their homework on their products, but now they just slap their name on any design that looks cool, without much regard for performance. Their stint in hiking boots has had pretty much the same result: all show and no delivery. I hear the Italian-built Cairns are a superior shoe, but for $210 they damn well better be! Chances are that Nike commissioned someone (who knows something about cycling) to design and build the Cairn. For that kind of money, I'd probably go with SIDI or Northwave anyway.

Submitted by Chris a weekend warrior from Farmington, CT

Date Reviewed: November 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought these from Nashbar about 1.5 years ago. After my second ride, I was kicking back with my buddies after a tough 10 mile ride in Tylers Mill. I was sitting on the ground with my legs outstretched and one of my buddies looks at my shoes with this stunned look on his face. Dude, your shoes are falling apart!. I couldn't friggin' believe it...the soles were crumbled and worn away. I have NEVER seen anything like it. I've been suffering with them since. The shoes were very comfortable and I like the concepts of the high top, it has protected my ankles on several occassions. Unfortunately, I never got around to returning them so, it's my fault. However, I will never buy Mtn. bike shoes from Nike again.

Submitted by Tom a cross-country rider from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: October 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

One thing can be said about these shoes, they fall apart. I still have the pair I bought two years ago and they do work, but my feet go numb soon after starting out on a ride after the gun goes off to begin the race. Soon after buying them the tread wore off and the cleats started moving around, you can't tighten them too much or you'll have problems and once they are tight you can't move them. If you chooses to move them you better make sure it's quite a distance or they will just move back to their original spot, the cleats leave a permanent indent in the sole and they slide back to the indent. As for the rest of the shoe, it's kinda stiff and that leather cover doesn't fit right.
Oh yeah, don't try to move around off the bike with these things, whether it be on slickrock or the local streets, the cleats aren't very recessed(especially after the tread wears off) and you will just slide around and make a loud clicking sound.

Submitted by Jamie P. a cross-country rider from Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

Absolute garbage. The soles crumbled almost completely to dust after about two rides, and then I went to Moab and finished them off. Ever try scrambling up slickrock on your SPD cleats? Torture. If you buy these, you're as stupid as I am. If I could give them a zero, I would.