Home | Reviews | Shoes | Nike

2.83/5 (12 Reviews)

Nike Nguba

Submitted by ragnorrox a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2011

Strengths:    sheesh die already damn it! I've had these shoes forever...I have new shoes but still wear them during the summer (they do take in water pretty easy). But for the money they are a awesome shoe wish Nike still made them

Weaknesses:    water

Bottom Line:
toughest shoe I've ever owned

Submitted by js a Cross Country Rider from mill valley, CA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2006

Strengths:    low cost

Weaknesses:    brittle sole. I cracked the a sole on mine after a coupla months of medium use. Nike wouldn't replace them. Also, were
dreadful in the wet, acting like a spoonge.

Bottom Line:
seemed like they'd be a good cost-effective shoe but I wish I'd just sprung for a pair of Sidis in the first place

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Dominator

Bike Setup:   03 Yeti Kokopelli
Talas RLC fork
SRAM XO drivetrain

Submitted by WCooke a Cross Country Rider from Leesburg, FL/Plainfield, NH

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2006

Strengths:    Perfect fit(and I have very wide feet), indestuctable, good grip on anything but slickrock.

Weaknesses:    Lasted to long. I wanted new shoes but the Nguba wouldn't give up so I just threw them out in 05. Sole was hard rubber so it slipped on slickrock.

Bottom Line:
Bought in 1997. I laugh at all of the other reviews that say how narrow this shoe is. I have wide feet and they fit great. I just couldn't kill these shoes. I went though 4 sets of pedals and 3 sets of crank arms with these shoes. I would buy another pair but Nike quit making them 9 years ago which makes me wonder why I'm writing this review.

Favorite Trail:   Santos(circa1997) currently sucks

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   sneakers and powergrips, spiked pedals bare feet and barbed wire.

Bike Setup:   yes my bike was setup and sometimes it was laid down

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2005

Strengths:    These shoes have lasted forever and still get the job done! They were my first pair of bike shoes and I keep waiting for them to die so I can get some new ones, but here we are, almost 10 years later...

Weaknesses:    The only weakness is that I haven't been able to upgrade, because I don't feel like spending the money when these shoes are still perfectly good.

Bottom Line:
I'd say these shoes are a classic!

Similar Products Used:   Sneakers and toe straps, but these are better.

Bike Setup:   Started with Bridgestone MB-3, then moved on to a Team Marin. Still the same shoes though...

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Rockville, MD

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2004

Strengths:    Decent Shoe for the money. Comfortable, relatively stiff sole, but OK for walking.

Weaknesses:    Laces and rest of shoe soak water like a sponge. Relatively heavy. Cleat mounts also open to water.

Bottom Line:
For the money, it has been a decent shoe. I have worn these dogs for about 5 years, not constantly, but occasionally, with no problems. I am buying some new shoes now, most likely Carnacs, which cost many times the price I paid for these Nikes, but weigh less, and shed water better, stiffer sole too. The Nikes were a good value.

Similar Products Used:   Carnacs, Lake

Submitted by Cam a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    The shoe actually fits. Fairly durable.

Weaknesses:    Laces.

Bottom Line:
Bike shoes are like anything else. If they don't fit in the store, they're not going to fit on the ride. Anyone complaining about the shoe being narrow should have tried it on first.

I've ridden these for nearly four years and have finally broke the foot plate in half. Pretty durable if you ask me. Easy to walk in and comfortable. The leather is a bit tough to clean and they soak up water like a sponge. But, now that they're gone I'll never buy another bike shoe with laces.

All in all, I didn't pay a whole lot and they lasted longer than my last bike.

Submitted by J a Cross Country Rider from Pueblo CO

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Strengths:    they are holding up fairly well for being quite low priced Nikes. they have been great since I "stretched them"

Weaknesses:    WAY too narrow. does anyone on this planet have 3 inch wide, size 10 feet? should have returned them, but kept thinking they would "break in" better. they didn't

Bottom Line:
these shoes were ridiculously narrow; someone suggested to me that shoe repair shops can usually stretch shoes, so I tried it & it worked well. My alternative was to give or throw them away, my feet went numb after an hour of riding.

Purchased At:   performance

Submitted by Chris C. a Cross Country Rider from Framingham, MA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2000

Strengths:    They fit.

Weaknesses:    They're crap.

Bottom Line:
These shoes suck!!! I bought the nguba in july 1995 and broke the sole in august 1995. It cracked right under the cleat. So I sent them back to Nike with a letter telling them about there lousy shoe. about three months later I get a pair of the "new and improved" ngubas in the mail which are about 10 times more narrow than the ones I had, I couldn't even begin to get my foot into them. I gave them to a friend who broke them in about 2 months.
Anyway, while I was waiting for Nike to get their act together, I bought a pair of Alpinestars(can't remeber the model) which were the most comfortable & reliable shoes I have ever used.

If anyone knows where I can find Alpinestar Shoes, Please let me know!!!

Similar Products Used:   Alpinestars, Scott Magic

Submitted by sho nuff from VA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
Decent shoes at a good price. They have held up well for over two years. The sole gives plenty of support, and the cleat pocket can be shaped to give decent engagement onto the pedal. The only gripe I have about these shoes is the fit. They are very narrow, but after about 30 minutes of riding your feet are so numb you don't even notice it! If you can still find them, and you have skinny feet, buy 'em. Otherwise, find a better fitting shoe. I wish I had.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1999

Strengths:
It's Cheap

Weaknesses:
You might as well duct tape your feet to the pedals.

Bottom Line:
The toe box never fails to leave my feet aching after a ride. These bind your feet like a vise. I bought these because I thought they were cheap. $80CDN. Turns out, at that price range, many other better shoes can be had. I think Nike has disco'ed these.

6 months

Cannondale F700, Shimano 434 / Coda 500 pedals used.

Submitted by Jan Pittner a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 18, 1999

Strengths:
Looks nice, comfy, stays tight

Weaknesses:
Bottom of shoe in front is falling off.

Bottom Line:
Didn't last too long. If I had kept the receipt, Nike would have replaced 'em, but I didn't keep it. So if you buy this or ANY Nike shoe, keep the receipt for 2 years cause they'll warranty the shoe for that long.

1 Year

Specialized something or the others.

FSR Expert

Submitted by Cole Eslinger a Weekend Warrior from Cochrane, Alberta

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1999

Strengths:
strong sole, good walking grip!

Weaknesses:
painful!!!!!! The shoe is by far too narrow even for a 16 year old foot, as soon as the ride gets intense the shoe really starts to hurt the sides of your foot no matter how long it is...

Bottom Line:
Do not buy the Nguba.... you won't regret it!!

1 Year