Home | Reviews | Shoes | Mavic

Mavic Pulse Shoes

The Mavic Pulse MTB Shoe is perfect for fast trail riding without breaking the budget. The World Cup proven profile of the Energy Grip Outsole is combined with a solid trail ready upper for responsive pedaling and trail gripping comfort.

Submitted by Aristo Compasso

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort, looks, build quality, ease of use, price.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
These being categorised as a mountain/cross shoe, I actually bought it for the road. I sincerely hate road shoes - I don't think something that you can't walk in should be called a "shoe". Period.

I bought it mainly for the looks, because I had never used Mavic shoes before; but I must say I love this exceptional design blending the classic with the aggressive. Obviously anyone buying cycling shoes just for the looks is risking making a huge mistake. Not the case since right upon trying these on, I immediately felt like they could pass for regular walking shoes, except maybe for the small drop at the heel.

Well, but these boots were not made for walking. On the bicycle they're cool, and this is important. Hot feet are very discomfortable Not extremely stiff, as some dedicated road shoes that make your feet numb may be, so it's a plus by my book. The velcro straps work very well, but some road cyclists may complaint about the lack of enhanced pull you deliver to the pedal with the plastic ratchet mechanism, which is noticeably more discomfortable, and can even bruise if set to tight.

Build quality is superb and gives you a real safety feeling.

Price is fair for such an outstanding product. Honestly I believe most brands in the cycling world inflate their prices just because they can. This is not the deal for Mavic with their shoes, wheels and other.

Personally, I'd never pay more than €125 ($160) for a pair of shoes, and at €90 ($116) these were the perfect deal. You can get cheaper online, but do yourself a favour: go to a store, try them on for size, and you'll end up saving money before having to return something for a size bigger or smaller.

Bottom line, even if you're like me and only do roads, I'd pick these out against any competitor brand or price because of the perfect balance between comfort, usability, looks and build quality. Outstanding!

Submitted by kobayashi a Cross Country Rider from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, stiff, comfortable, breathable and comfortable shoes for a reasonable price

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I will be buying a couple more pair just to have on hand.

Favorite Trail:   Chulkovo

Purchased At:   Local BS

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi Vagabond,

Bike Setup:   Turner 5.spot '10, Fox Float, XT shifters, RD & FD, Crossmax ST, Thomson, Race Face Cranks and stem.

Submitted by Veda a Cross Country Rider from Asia

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2011

Strengths:    Absolute attention to details that focuses on function aside from the obvious fashionable styling. But the most important feature that sets it apart from other brands is the fact that the cleat doesn't touch the ground at all. So you can actually run on your wood floor at home with these.

Weaknesses:    A bit stiff in the ankle area so probably not as quick as Spez Sport that I've been using. But could change later due to more break-in.

Bottom Line:
Best combination of style, real world performance, value, and durability. I was so impressed with this shoes that I bought all Mavic apparels including raincoats, gloves, bibs, jerseys, etc all at 50% discount of course. They're all awesome even if some are less durable than other brands due to softer more comfortable materials.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Spez shoes $100+

Bike Setup:   XTR + XPedo 210gr Titanium cleat pedals.

Submitted by MrM UK a Racer from London, UK

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2009

Strengths:    Very comfortable. Tried similar shoes from Speacialized and Shimano. In comparison these are as comfortable as a pair of slippers. Size fits well, accomodating my wide feet easily. 3 velcro straps allow easy and effective fit.

Weaknesses:    Whilst build quality is great for the money, you get what you pay for, but I think you will find it hard to find a better fitting, comfortable shoe for less than twice the price of these.

Bottom Line:
Sumpremely comfortable, accurately fitting shoes which offers great "bang for buck". 3 velcro straps allow for easy and effective fit adjustment. Sole grip is great, shoe comes with SPD mount and studs which can be screwed into the forefoot for the MTBers out there. Attractive too boot.

For £65 / ~$100 I think these are a steal