Home | Reviews | Shoes | Mavic

Mavic Fury Shoes

Mavic Fury Cross-Country Mountain shoe has all the latest MAvic innovations in shoe technology. The Ergo-Strap and Ergo Lite Ratchet system provide a custom snug fit around the foot. Carbon sole handles SPD compatible cleats. Energy Lock Carbon for exc

Submitted by asmallsol

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, Stiff, Comfortable, strong toe box cap, strong toe region in terms of material stretching (or lack there of) under power

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
I've had these for a little less then a year know, and have done races from Shanendoah 100 MTB (on SS), Lumberjack 100 (SS), Dirty Kanza 200, to weekly hammerfest hot laps at my local trail and CX races. Since I ride single speed, I need a super stiff shoe since I'm out of the saddle so much, grinding away. I bought a pair of Sidi Spiders and they felt like I was riding in ballet shoes, feeling the pedal on every stroke when standing up. On the Fury's there's no flex what so every, even under the highest loads. (for reference, I'm 150lb). The toe box is well protected which is a nice upgrade compared to some of the other Mavic shoes, and a feature you'll noticed when racing cross, or riding in rocky/technical trails where dabbing may occur. The other upgraded compared to my last pair of cheaper mavic shoes is the increased strength of the toe region material. On the lower quality ones, they would stretch under load, so although the sole was stiff, you'd feel your lower feet come off the shoe.

Now to the downside. Compared to my road shoes (Sidi's) the durability just isn't there. My sidi's which probally have 5-6K miles one them, the inside shoes zero sign of wear. On these, the inside heel cup is starting to tear, and has recently started to cause blisters on longer rides. Although this may partly be due to riding single speed (alot more standing up) I think that this is a mix lack of heel lock devise (like sidi high end shoes have) and light weight, and thus slightly weaker material has lead to an accelerated rate of wear. At less than or a year in, I'm already looking to replace these. If I wouldn't of had this issue, I would have I would love to keep riding these shoes and replace them with another pair when that came long down the road. Instead, I'm going to be looking at either higher end Shimano, Sidi's, or Giro's..

As far as sizing is concerned, in Sidi's, I wear in a 44, in these, they are a 10.

Submitted by Rob a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2013

Strengths:    Awesome grip
Flash colour (yellow)

Weaknesses:    Painful to wear

Bottom Line:
Nice looking shoes but medieval torture devices if you need to wear them for more than 15 minutes at a time. I tried everything with these including pulling the stock insoles and replacing them with Spenco Gel aftermarket insoles. That helped but they still really hurt the outside edge of both feet. The only way they are tolerable (not by any means comfortable) is to run them so loose that the heel lifts while riding. I bought these in the web and wish I could have tried them first. I love Adidas shoes and have plenty of pairs but these, although were similar in size, just hurt to wear. The Salomon Contagrip tread is fantastic however and kudos to Mavic/Adidas for borrowing from their sister company. I understand these are supposed to be race shoes and so stiffness is a premium but the shoes just plain hurt everytime I wear them. I shouldn't have strayed from Sidi. Those guys have cycling shoes dialed. Save your money and buy a pair of Sidi Eagles or Dominators. Although Sidi is slightly more expensive, they fit and are durable in the long run.

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Eagle/Dominator
Answer
Northwave
Shimano

Bike Setup:   not relevant

Submitted by premium7 a Racer from China

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2010

Strengths:    * Comfort - the heel cup was very comfortable. Buckle, Velcro, Velcro, isn't new but it works
* Fit – versatile adjustability in the heel-cup, buckle, buckle strap for a perfect fit
* Looks!
* Gets dirty easily, but also easy to clean . . .a little soap and water does the trick

Weaknesses:    * Broken heel counter
* Not great for shoe covers . . .
* Pricey (but if you can afford them . . . )

Bottom Line:
The shoe fits brilliantly for my feet, it vents well, it looks cool (I think), and it has proven very durable. The heel counter is a bit fragile, and it is expensive. This shoe has evolved over a number of years, first with Adidas and now with Mavic; two companies that know shoes and know the cycling industry. The final result doesn't offer any massive innovations, but does what shoes should: fit, take a beating, and look good doing it.

For a full review check out: http://www.cyclingnewsasia.com/en/tech/37-general/482-tech-review-mavic-fury-mountain-bike-shoes

Favorite Trail:   Not many around here . . .

Purchased At:   www.holybrother.com

Similar Products Used:   Sidi Dominator, Sidi Eagle, Pearl Izumi the name escapes me, Gaerne, etc.

Bike Setup:   Custom Ti with Shimano XT.

DH Bike GT Fury Build Questions

[url]http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-freeride/dh-bike-build-question-866127.html#post10544000[/url]Read More »

Where do I buy a Society Fury fork in the US?

I want to put a Society Fury XC Race 100mm on my bike but cannot find a place that sells them. Where to buy? And dont say BTI. [url=http://www.societyforks.com/productdetails.php?id=FKSYF1K]Society forks - forks page[/url]Read More »

MC Fury with Ario 2.r

My MC Fury came with a Rockshox Ario 2.R. I have read alot of bad reviews about the Ario, which is made for trail riding. I will be riding the Fury with an all-mountain setup. The question I have is. Should I swap out the Ario 2.R for a different rear shock, like the RS Monarch, which is made for ... Read More »

new build (MC Fury frame)

I am building a new mountain bike with a Mountain Cycle Fury frame. This is my first time building a bike. The frame will take a 125-160 fork. So I looking at either RockShox Sektor RL Dual Position Coil 150 26" Suspension Fork Diffusion Black MotionControl Crown Adjust 9QR, or one with a maxle l ... Read More »

Mountain Cycle Fury Frame

I just got a Mountain cycle fury frame delivered to me from a store in MN. I know that the mountain cycle fury was discontinued. I got the new frame for a steal. The frame came with a Rockshox Ario 2 R. Now I am going to build a mountain bike with the MC Fury. Any suggestion on a fork. I am pa ... Read More »