Home | Reviews | Shoes | Mavic

Mavic Alpine XL Shoes

3.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The Mavic Alpine XL Enduro Shoe provides extra protection that lets you focus on the important things, like the single track ahead. Alpine XL is a full on trail shoe with nearly bomb proof construction for added durability, comfort and protection. Trail s

Submitted by Tim

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2013

Strengths:    - Very light for the amount of protection and stiffness
- Fit really well once you figure out the Quick Lace system. They are so comfortable.
- Stiff sole gives good power transfer
- Great to walk in
- Lace hiding works very well
- Ankle cuff adds protection without sacrificing comfort

Weaknesses:    - A lot of white

Bottom Line:
I was a bit apprehensive about these shoes because there aren't many reviews on them yet. A few reviews mentioned issues with the design/quality, but for me these shoes couldn't be better. I wear around a size 10 US and ordered the 44 2/3. Fit is perfect.

Would recommend these to anyone who rides in technical conditions and wants protection and support without the added weight

Submitted by DPeper

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2013

Strengths:    1. Very sturdy design. These are gonna last awhile!
2. Good protection.
3. Awesome Sole with rubber in the arch area so I can unclip and stand on a pedal without feeling like it'll blow off.
4. Love the lacing cable with slider and cover with strap.
5. Walks like a real shoe and not like a clipless shoe.
6. cleat placement a little aft. plus I run shimano 56 cleats and 520-540 pedals No problems with the tread interfearing with the cleats engagement.

***** I would buy again and will recomend !

Weaknesses:    From the other reviewer who gave them one chili which I couldn't figure out why. I suppose there is a possibility of pulling extra hard on the neoprene type cuff at the top of the shoe and maybe causing damage. I unlace the shoes to put them on. These are not a skate shoe! If you want the skate shoe feel. I recomend the 661 filter or shimano am shoes. But these do have a really comfortable tongue which cushions and holds it's shape well.

Bottom Line:
Not only are they comfortable on my supposed normal feet they are very similar in weight to my 2 year old carbon soled 661 xc shoes. This shoe has a few strengths. First I like that the clip can sit just slightly farther back toward the center of the foot. Second I also really like the cuff at the top of the shoe around the ankle, although when I was buying I thought there was a chance it would rub the back of my foot raw, which it has not. I haven't even noticed it, other than I've stepped in stuff that should have gone into the shoe if it weren't there:) Third I like the rubber full length sole. My last shoes had a carbon fiber sole with rubber traction cleats everywhere except the arch which as soon as you unclip makes for a terrible recipe of slipped pedals. These have actual rubber there and now when I'm riding faster than I should I can unclip and just stand on the pedal without the fear of my feet blowing off the pedals. Fourth I like the lace design which snugs nicely on the foot and has a cover and strap. Not just shoe laces! It has a slider that is really nice that for some reason no one ever shows in the pictures.
I bought these on sale at Jenson and can't be more pleased. Noticed after I had them that someone had reviewed them with 1 chili. Unfortunate. Obviously Mavic is a first rate company of finer biking goods. I wasn't concerned and am for sure enjoying my sweet kicks. I've got a dozen rides already in them and will update if my experience changes. They run true to size.

Submitted by TylerDCA a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, ON

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2011

Strengths:    Very comfy, solid pedal feel, sole is stiff enough.

Weaknesses:    QUALITY! Falling apart after < 10 rides

Bottom Line:
These shoes are falling apart already after less than 10 rides. I am going to try to get them warrantied, but I must say that the quality is hugely subpar.

I would definitely not recommend if you plan to actually ride in these shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Outback