Louis Garneau T-Flex-300 Shoes

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

On your next cyclo-cross, or XC race the Louis Garneau T-Flex 300 Shoe will provide power transfer from your foot to the pedal via a removable Carbon Air Blade Out-Sole. The aggressive cleats grip well in mud or on uneven terrain for sections where you are carrying the bike

Submitted by Rocky a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2013

Strengths:    Good looks, good ratchet mech, stiff soles, heat modifiable heel cup and toe box for custom fit. Even with stiff soles still decent to walk in.

Weaknesses:    Not as all out comfortable as my old shoes (Shimano's) and they are a little bulkier, oh and the provided toe spikes are too short to be of any use. I had to use the shims under my cleats to work with eggbeater pedals.

Bottom Line:
I was shopping for new shoes to replace my eight year old Shimano's when I saw these on the internet. I like LG clothing so I thought I'd give them a try.
The heat moldable feature sounded interesting and they were priced better than other top of the line shoes, also Shimano high end shoes now have to be vacuum formed at a authorized dealer (sounded like a PITA and expensive).
They are great looking shoes for starters and are very stiff with carbon soles. They have plenty of features and seem well made. They are very good through hike sections and don't slip off my heels (my only complaint I had with the Shimanos)
The heat moldable feature is easy enough just pop them in the oven till they are warm and put them on, the nice thing about this you can do it as many times as desired. I didn't have any issues with the treads coming off so perhaps they have taken care of that issue.
I will be curious to see if they last as long as by last two pairs of shoes (Shimano and Sidis before that) as they both did about eight seasons respectfully before turning to dust.

Favorite Trail:   Brown County, Pisgah

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Sidi, SixSixOne

Bike Setup:   Commencal Super4 (eggbeater pedals really the only thing that apply here)

Submitted by kylemason a Racer from Gainesville Florida

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2012

Strengths:    Moldable footbed Good Looking Shoe
Paid cost because I am sponsored.

Weaknesses:    Tread compound tears off easily and delaminates
Too much space in heel area
Looks don't get you to the podium!

Bottom Line:
Warrantied the first pair after 1 race in North Carolina. LG has good customer service. Raced the next pair for the Florida Cross Country Series.

1. The white cleats on the sole de-laminate when in the oven to preheat the shoe to mold the footbed to your foot. I had 2 thermometers in the oven to make sure I didn't exceed the temp required by the mfg. I used a hot knife to remelt the peices together and some have held.
2. The shoe has WAY too much room at the heel area. I cannot use the ratchet strap to get them tight and my heel would come out of the shoe. I ended up cutting another sole liner and inserting in heel area to take up space. (another team member also has this problem)
3. Even when the white cleats do not de-laminate they tear off during running during racing. Since these were supposed to be cyclocross shoes they shouldn't do that.

LG has a solid sole on another model. I will try those and see if they come in 1/2 sizes and wide selections.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah in NC