Louis Garneau Montana XT Shoes

3.67/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 393 grams MSRP : $130.00

Louis Garneau Mountain shoe featuring improved micro adjustment ratchet and the ErgoGrip high-density reinforced outsole for maximum grip. The Montan XT provides a custom snug fit with the 2 velcro and single ratchet system. Ergo ventilation provides a

Submitted by Adam

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2012

Strengths:    Durable,comfortable,look good

Bottom Line:
I've had a pair for about 3 years with no problems at all. They got me through 4 days of Wildside, 2 Blue dragons and numerous multisports events. I also commute daily and train in them. As soon as I can find some for a good price online I will be getting a new pair.

Submitted by Everett a Weekend Warrior from Missoula, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2011

Strengths:    They look good.

Weaknesses:    You name it. Release does not work well at all. It takes both hands and a lot of effort. Soles are hard plastic. Tore them up first ride in Montana. Almost died in Moab (Like ice skating on slick rock).

Bottom Line:
If you would like a very bad pair of shoes buy these.

Favorite Trail:   I will never tell

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi

Bike Setup:   Specialized 29er Hard Tail, Trek Fule 26"

Submitted by Kyrillos a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent fit with the ratchet holding your foot tight in place. Vents are ample enough to dissipate heat efficiently.

Weaknesses:    Tricky to go down the stairs in (but of course they're not designed for that). Collect quite a bit of water in heavy rain.

Bottom Line:
For the money you are getting a clip-less shoe with some high end features. The ratchet system seems hardcore enough to take on many years of abuse and the vents are placed in all the right places. The sole is rock-solid and provides excellent power transfer. As for them not being too rain-friendly - it's a small price to pay for keeping your feet cool in all other conditions. Wet is better than over-heated and blistered.

So far I am very glad I went with LG vs some other inferior (at the price point) options from Shimano and Specialized.

Favorite Trail:   The Don Valley

Purchased At:   Cyclemotive

Bike Setup:   '08 Norco Scrambler: Shimano PD-M520, Giant Lock-On grips

Submitted by pinknz a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort, tough

Weaknesses:    Initial hot spots

Bottom Line:
Started off comfy but got a few hotspots, but after a month they are very comfy.
Good retention system, heel holds well, easy to clean ...all good

Use both on my 575 and road bike with time atacs on both

Favorite Trail:   Roto Vegas, Corners, Split enz

Purchased At:   Hedgehog

Similar Products Used:   Lakes, Answers

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by Mr. Holmes a Cross Country Rider from upstate New York

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2010

Strengths:    Durable
Looks good
Good Ventilation
Stiff

Weaknesses:    Expensive
uncomfortable to walk in for any distance

Bottom Line:
Works great, ratcheting lever thingus gets the job done.

Purchased At:   action Sports

Bike Setup:   Easton EA70 monkeybars 30mm rise, Ritchey Wcs-Sl Bar Ends, Easton EA50 stem, Easton EA70 seatpost with 2 bolts for adjustment. Lizard Skin chain stay protector, Shimano pedals, Shimano LX crank set, Cateye Enduro 8 computer

Submitted by dubdryver a Cross Country Rider from Miami Lakes, FL

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2010

Strengths:    Very very durable, You won't have to worry about rips or tears, or buckle breaking even after hundreds of rock bashing!

Weaknesses:    I guess you could say the hard outsole. A softer one could be desired if you are off the bike and on a lot of rock.

Bottom Line:
Overall, After over 3 years of using this product and uncountable miles. The outsole tore from the shoe at the heal this morning. This shoe has impressed and impressed, I have actually talked to others that rock the same shoe, and though they haven't mtbr reviewed, they all agree, they are worth the money. To put it in perspective. I am getting a new pair this weekend, so that I have the for a race next week. I will have to admit, that after 3 years and doing very extended epic rides, the sole has shown some flex and started giving..similar to the effect of the Specialized Comp MTBs (that cost more). I only used the Comp MTBs for about 6 months and was tired of them.

What others say about the sole being hard is true. I will not deny that there have been a few times while walking my bike, I have slipped. It probably would happen a lot more if I was nomally around sliprock.

Overall though, this shoe has really been impressive, and another outstanding product by LG. The durability of the shoe as a whole is outstanding. The fit is great, they breath well, and overall with be a long dependable product for miles and miles of riding!

I give it 5 chilis for value since I feel that compared to everything else in its price market, with the exception of the SETTE Epic which recieved very good reviews. Nothing measures up. I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on buying them and going through fit trial and error. I don't doubt they are decent, but i am going with what I know fits and works!

I am giving 5 chilis for overall because everything that I come to expect from a shoe will be measured by the bar set by these. Phenomenal shoe, great price, great performance!

Favorite Trail:   Anything technical and flowy

Purchased At:   Bells

Similar Products Used:   Shimanos (uncomfortable), Diadoras(which i liked but the shoe shrunk over time) and Specialized...which I had a problem with the sole breaking down after 2hrs of riding on a constant basis (Comp MTBs)

Bike Setup:   SC Blur: X9,M819Tubeless,Maxxis X-mark/Ignitor,Fox 120RLC,East. Moneylite Rise, Thompson

Submitted by willdabeast a Cross Country Rider from NZ

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2009

Strengths:    Solid sole, comfortable, secure fastening, good grip.

Weaknesses:    Not very waterproof.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend these shoes to anybody who rides XC. They wouldn`t be a good shoe to do walking in. When on your feet they feel locked on, very secure. I love `em

Favorite Trail:   Muddy ones

Purchased At:   R & R

Similar Products Used:   Old Specilized Sport`s

Bike Setup:   Scott Genius 30

Submitted by Julien a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2008

Strengths:    comfortable shoes, latches and straps work well and tighten easily

Weaknesses:    do not latch easily into the pedals

Bottom Line:
the way the soles are designed, the rubber adjacent to the clips in the shoe is too high and when i was trying to lock in the pedal would touch the sole before the clips and prevent them from locking in. i had to grind the sole down to allow the pedal to go down farther. I'm using Shimano M505 pedals. other than the little glitch with the latching issue, I would recommend these shoes.

Favorite Trail:   single track

Purchased At:   CyclePath

Bike Setup:   xc/freeride

Submitted by Trail Bum a Cross Country Rider from up state ny

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    The shoe looks to be well made, well ventilated, toe clips and the fit feels great and snug. The stiff sole if good for pedaling.

Weaknesses:    The biggest problem I see is the sole. It is made of a very hard material and is very very slick on rocks or hard ground. I feel like I'm on skates when walking in them. I'm the type of rider that likes to do trail work and these shoes suck for that. I've got a pair of Lake MX165's on order (which have a Vibram sole), that should be a much better all around shoe for me.

Bottom Line:
If I was a racer and never got out of the pedals these would be good shoes. But they are horrible if you have to walk any where with them.

Favorite Trail:   the ones not seen

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Diadoras, Answer's, Specilized and good old hiking boots.

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer with Fox and Shimano stuff

Submitted by Trail Bum a Cross Country Rider from up state ny

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Favorite Trail:   the ones not seen

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer with Fox and Shimano stuff

Submitted by Joshua Kebschull a Racer from Miami, FL.

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2008

Strengths:    Solid Feel, Comfortable, breathable, durable

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
For the Review above, I can probably agree that the synthetic leather, vinals and plastics will take a lot of abuse in arizona. I have road in Arizona down in the Huachuca Mtns. and finding lines to ease your ride and keep you shoes from taking a lot of abuse might be hard. Might not be the best shoe for that riding. I think for shoes designed to take that specific abuse might be more or less real leather or have kevlar inserts.

I dont have the rocks of Arizona, but I do have mud (swamp), coral and roots. I have had these shoes for just under a year and had no problems with the shoes other than both screw in cleat (front not pedal cleat) came out so I filled them with the suppied cleats. They do an excellent job of shedding mud and breath very well. I live in miami and with the humidity that is very important. They have remained stiff on the sole and only very minor scuffs on the side. I hope they last as long as my Diadora Gobi's (bought in Arizona) which I had for nearly 8 years! Which HAD to get replaced b/c the soles was blown out. I have been very impressed with the helmet and shoes that I have from Louis Garneau thought there is no visor available for the Exo-Nerve. Regardless the quality is very good!
I say unless you mtb in terrain like the rocks of arizona these shoes will work absolutely fine and should give years of reliability.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   Bells

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Diadora Geckos

Bike Setup:   05 K2 Razorback Team, X-0 F/R, X-9 shifters,XT crank, Reba SL UTURN, Mavic Crossmax, EA70 bars, EA50 stem/post, Fiziks Gobi

Submitted by Doug Gangi a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    Comfortable fit, attractive, breathe well

Weaknesses:    Buckle is hard to release, durability

Bottom Line:
At first I was in love with these shoes -- comfy, airy, and relatively stiff. However, after only a few rides the durability issues started to come up. The buckle is very difficult to release, especially after it gets a little bit of use/wear (there were times that I literally had to wedge my foot out of the shoe because the buckle would not release). And the rocks in AZ started to trash the soles.

After 6 months of hard use the shoes are completely done -- the rubber grippers have ripped off the bottom of both soles, there are numerous rips/tears in the webbing, and the buckles are both useless.

AZ is hard on shoes, but my last pair of shoes, Northwave Iguanas, lasted 3+ years before looking as ugly as the Luois Garneaus's did in 6 months.

Bottom line - these shoes are definitely comfortable and perform well, but look elsewhere if you want your shoes to last! Had durability not been an issue I would have given them a 4 chili rating...but given how poorly these shoes have lasted...2 chilis is all they get.

Favorite Trail:   Any one I am riding on