Louis Garneau Ergogrip Shoes

2.5/5 (4 Reviews)
Weight : 368 grams MSRP : $130.00

Louis Garneau ErgoGrip is a Mountian shoe featuring the ErgoGrip outsole for maximum grip. 3 velcro adjustment for a custom, snug fit. Stiff for performance off-road racing. Breathable material and easily maintained.

Submitted by fogman a Weekend Warrior from Mission, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff sole, good tread for mud with toe cleats

Weaknesses:    Torn seams, buckle jammed constantly

Bottom Line:
My model of shoes have a quick release buckle latch on the upper tab. I loved the metal toe cleats for mud, and the idea of the positive latching. BUT then... The upper tab seams both torn within 3 months. Had them sewn by a local shoe repair. The buckle constantly jammed and did not release. Mud clogs the cleats, making clipin impossible at times. Now the seams have torn on the buckle plate, and one buckle has broken making it impossible to release. Yes, it probably hit hard and busted. But a MTB shoe should take that into account. I have high arches, and the unforgiving plastic tab & buckle for the upper tab do not work. A velcro tab is simpler and more reliable, and will offer flex & movement when needed, avoiding torn seams and broken buckles. I would definitely recommend only velcro catches on a MTB shoe for ease of use, and flexibility.

Favorite Trail:   Red Mountain

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   --

Bike Setup:   Norco Fluid with SPD

Submitted by Mel a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2006

Strengths:    Comfortable fit and with the laces, it gives that personal fit.

Weaknesses:    Used it for more or less 6 months. Soles are made of hard plastic that breaks easily when you use it to walk over hard surfaces like stones, rocks, or even on the road going to your bike. The rivet on the front part of the sole easily broke thus the sole are about to separate from the shoe.

Bottom Line:
Comfortable if you wear it while on the saddle. Don't wear it while walking to your bike. If you happen to get tired on the trails, remove it before walking on hard surfaces like rocks, boulders, or even on the tarmac. The soles break easily. This product is bad. Don't buy it!

Similar Products Used:   Nike, Adidas

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT 2.0

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2006

Strengths:    Look Good, feel very comfortable after a breaking-in of a week or so. Work well long distance

Weaknesses:    Buckle is cumbersom to release the strap. The two velcro straps can pinch at times, but again it goes away with a breaking-in

Bottom Line:
I loved my Nike's. Unfortunately after TEN YEARS, the bolts holding my clips busted in one shoe and needed to be replaced. I could not find an affordable deal on the Nike's so I decided to give these a shot. They looked similar.

With my Nike's the buckle was a thing of beauty. They were strong and released nicely. The new shoe's buckle was partly plastic and I could never figure-out how to release the strap easily. I quickly figured out that I could use the strap and buckle on these new shoes. So with a screwdriver I removed the buckle and replaced it with the Nike one. NOW I LOVE THE SHOES!!!

I ride these shoes 20+ miles a day to and from work, and on weekends I take a 70 mile ride. I have not had anything but comfort (I admit more comfortable than my Nike's). They are strong. I have yet to use them in the rain.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Nike Mountain bike shoe (Can't remember name)

Bike Setup:   Road bike that I have converted into a nice commuter. I use Mountain bike clips and enjoy mountain bike shoes in the city because of the tred and durability.

Submitted by skippy a Cross Country Rider from burlington

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2006

Strengths:    light
comfortable
stiff
matches my red epic!!

Weaknesses:    holds mud a little too well find they can sometimes bung up and make it tougher to clip in

Bottom Line:
just got back into spds and I picked up these shoes. I'm usually a go big or go home kind of guy, but paying 200+ dollars for a pair of shoes didn't feel right. I put these shoes on in the shop and they felt GREAT. I've been riding long distance rides (well, 50k) as well as shorter more technical rides 2-3 times a week and these have held up great. They're still comfortable as heck, and are performing great. On occasion they become a little mud filled - maybe wouldn't be a problem if I didn't get off my bike so much!! Great value.