Home | Reviews | Shoes | Lake

Lake MXZ 302 Shoes

3.45/5 (11 Reviews)

Features:

BOA® push/pull lacing system with improved heel hold.

New heel and pad straps are integrated into the BOA reel and lace system. As the closure is tightened the heel strap locks your foot into place to avoid slip.Push/Pull BOA® provides easy closure and adjustment.

Water resistant Pittards® WR100 leather upper with neoprene cuff and NEW 2-piece lace overflap for improved seal and ankle fit. A Full Outlast® temperature regulating liner, 3M Thinsulate™ toebox lining and a Thermosol composite insulating insole provides superior warmth.

New for the 2008 winter mtb shoe is the SPD-compatible Vibram sole for increased traction on snow and ice.

Drilling: SPD

Submitted by Robert a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2013

Strengths:    These boots last and keep your feet nice and warm in temperatures down to 30 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 60 minutes.
Add Hotronic toe warmers and they keep my feet warm down to 5 degrees Fahrenheit for several hours at a time.

Weaknesses:    The threads that connect the heal cap will come lose after about 50 rides. Take them to a local shoe repair shop and have them sewn and they will not fall apart again.

Bottom Line:
I ride these boots during the six months of winter about 80 times per season for rides that last 2 to 4 hours. With Hotronic toe warmers the boots keep my feet nice and warm down to 5 degrees Farenheit for several hours. Without Hotronic toe warmers I can wear these boots down to 30 degrees Farenhiet for about an hour before my toes start to get cold. These boots last as I have over 5 years of use in mine, or over 400 rides. A more detailed review is on icecyclist dot com.

Similar Products Used:   Lake MXZ-303 winter cycling boots.

Submitted by lolmaus a Weekend Warrior from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2012

Strengths:    —Warmest shoes i could find.
—Protect against both cold and water.
—BOA mechanism is very handy: very easy to take the shoes on and off, very comfortable fit.
—After one winter season, i got no problems with heels coming off, etc.

Weaknesses:    —If BOA laces break, i'll have a hard time finding a replacement.
—When cleats are in the foremost position, large sole bumps kinda get in the way when you try to connect to the pedals.

Bottom Line:
My riding style is mostly commuting and some weekend country riding. No really hard mountain biking (but it does not mean that the shoes are poor at MTB, i just haven't tried... the Vibram soles are very grippy!).

Verdict: Those are THE shoes for the winter.

But keep in mind, that your feet can easily get cold even in 0°C (32°F) in the warmest footwear, only because you steadily cycle for a long time!

Purchased At:   Bikeman.com (current

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Diablo GTX (too cold, get wet easily)

Bike Setup:   Shimano SPD pedals

Submitted by work-ed a Cross Country Rider from west chester

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2012

Strengths:    Construction

Weaknesses:    WAY TOO TIGHT AND NARROW

Bottom Line:
These look great, and are well constructed, but OMG are they tight. If you have an even somewhat wide foot, forget about it. I purchased a 44 and in no way is my foot getting in these. Returned.

Favorite Trail:   white clay

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Submitted by dirtyjack a Cross Country Rider from MA

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2011

Strengths:    These boot will keep your feet warm and dry

Weaknesses:    The plastic where the boa lacing loops through can sit in an uncomfortable place on your foot. You need to be sure to pull the tongue under the plastic piece when putting them on.

Bottom Line:
They seem to have fixed the heel cup sticthing issue that plagued the earlier models. Size up a half size to account for heavier socks and you'll be dry and warm.

Submitted by andym a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, New Jersey

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2011

Strengths:    Fit

Bottom Line:
These boots are great. Lets me ride in the winter without having to think about my feet getting cold. Never had any problems with the lacing system. I wear a 14 wide and ordered the 15 wide for a great fit. Two seasons of riding in 20 degree weather and no problems to report. You will forget about the price immediately upon using them in freezing weather.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Lake

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Rey

Submitted by B Cycle N a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage, AK, USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Strengths:    They are somewhat warm, I used them down to about -17 (f) but could not last more than a couple of hours. Make sure you buy them big enough for your favorite sock system. I think they're best for temperatures ranging +15 and above but not much lower.

Weaknesses:    ***Warning*** I purchased these shoes at the beginning of winter at a local bike shop. I used them several times a week for about 4 weeks. I noticed that the stitching on BOTH heels came undone. Shortly thereafter the rubber heel separated from the leather boot upper. They are still useable but for the amount of money I spent on these I expected a much better quality. I emailed Lake and received no response (not surprising).

Bottom Line:
If you have $250+ to throw away and on very marginal product that won’t live up to expectations and product customer support is non-existent; then these are for you. For the rest of us don’t bother wasting time and money, you’ll be disappointed.

I give these the lowest chilies possible since Lake would not recognize my email and this product stinks to high heaven.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Usually use flat pedals and lightweight snow boots

Bike Setup:   Fatback Aluminum frame (snow/adventure bike), XTR pedals, and XTR shifters and derailers, Uma II wheel set, Surley Larrey 3.8 (front) Endomorph 3.8 (back)

Submitted by mikewest a Cross Country Rider from ellicott city, md

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2010

Strengths:    Warmth. Lake customer service is very friendly

Weaknesses:    What was wrong with shoe laces? What possible advantage does a breakable ratchet and impossible thin, proprietary lacing have for the consumer?

Bottom Line:
Of the two winters I've owned these boots, they've spent as much time at the factory being fixed/replaced as they have on my feet. I have at least 20 friends who use them, however, and most of them have had better luck than me. I keep breaking the lacing system for some reason. Lake has great customer support however. Good enough, that I'm still willing to work with them. If they made this boot with regular laces or velcro closure, I'd give it a 5.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Sidi, and Diadora MTB shoes with neoprene socks and toe covers.

Bike Setup:   Road, CX, SS, Dualy. I've used Lake's on them all

Submitted by mikewest a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    Very warm.

Weaknesses:    Why, why, why, why do they use the BOA lacing system

Bottom Line:
Got the shoes 3 weeks ago. On my 3rd ride, the right lace snapped. I've been waiting 2 weeks for replacement laces. Customer service folks are super nice. However, my feet are cold since I can't use the boots without laces.

For me, $240 is very expensive for a biking shoe or boot. I've bought many other shoes/boots that have worked well. Therefor, it's very hard for me to call these a 'good value' even if they are quite warm.

I've got 3 friends with the same boots. One of of them had to have the heels stitched back on. Of the four pairs of these boots I've seen, two have failed and two are working fine.

Purchased At:   Modern Bike

Similar Products Used:   Toe warmers for many years.

Submitted by Nick a Racer from Zanetucky, OH

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2008

Strengths:    Warm. Leather seemed to hold up.

Weaknesses:    Right Boa string broke. Both heels came apart. Lost three toe spikes (properly tightened) probably on rocks. Spike threads slid backward under the sole, hard to replace spikes.

Bottom Line:
Heard old version of this boot was the whip. I know several people with the old style without problems. The newer design didn't hold up during winter training. Both heels came unstitched on two consecutive rides. Then right Boa line broke. Lake claims to have a one year warranty, haven't found out if they'll make good.

Favorite Trail:   N-Woods

Purchased At:   Bikeman

Submitted by Shad a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, KS

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2008

Strengths:    These boots are very warm. Have done numerous training rides in the teens and never got cold toes.

Weaknesses:    After 4 rides all the stitching on the right heel cup came out and the boot almost pulled in half. I talked to the owner of the bike shop and he said both of his (purchased at the same time) did the same thing. After I had them sewed up (which had to be done through the neoprene, waterproof layer) I was out riding and the boa system on one of my boots snapped in the middle of the cable for no apparent reason. Boot is also fairly heavy.

Bottom Line:
These are a super warm boot, however, the construction is terrible. I have a pair of Dominators that I've ridden thousands of miles on with zero problems. These Lakes have been sitting in my closet for the last week and a half (average outside temp of 20) waiting on a replacement lace system from Lake. Still have no lace. You would probably be better off just buying those $1.00 toe warmers to put in your shoes for every ride.

Purchased At:   Local Shop