Home | Reviews | Shoes | Lake

• Nylon sole plate

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Frederic a Cross Country Rider from Boonsboro MD USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Strengths:    pretty comfortable, boots keep feet reasonably warm

Weaknesses:    Stitching holding upper portion of boots to sole broke on both boots making them unusable I have had these boots for about 2 years and use them about once a week - only in the winter time. I feel this is a defect in material used.

Bottom Line:
    For an expensive pair of bike boots these are very short lived. I emailed manufacturer about getting refund or replacement boots, but got no response. I definitely would not buy these again.

Favorite Trail:   Greenbrier

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Submitted by Dennis a Cross Country Rider from Columbus, Ohio

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2007

Strengths:    Comfortable. Warm. Lacing. Well made.

Weaknesses:    None known.

Bottom Line:
    I think these are incredible! I was tired of ruining another pair of AmFib booties and buying more to help keep my feet warm, so I bought these instead. I went one size larger than normal per other recommendations.

Last night I rode in 12 degree temp for 1 1/2 hour on icy single track. I wore one thick 50% wool sock over a thin technical sock and used a Grabber Mycoal full foot insole. Cold was not a problem at all. My feet were very warm the whole ride! Now, if only I could have said that about my finger tips on my left hand.

I really like these shoes. They are incredibly well made. BTW - this review is for the 2007 version MXZ301.

Favorite Trail:   Vultures Knob

Purchased At:   AEBike.com

Similar Products Used:   Standard shoes with AmFib booties over them.

Bike Setup:   Turner Stinger.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Salina, KS

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2006

Strengths:    They are warmer than anything else i have found in clipless shoes.

Weaknesses:    They aren't much warmer than regular mountain bike shoes with warm socks.

They designed this shoe as a cycling shoe that tries to act as a winter boot. They should have done it the other way around. Shoe is simply too narrow, for serious cold conditions.

Any experienced winter rider will tell you that space inside the shoes is the key to lasting warmth. Regardless of how big you buy them, they are too tight on the sides.

I bought two sizes, too large and still they are constricting. AND I HAVE NARROW FEET.

Bottom Line:
    I only paid $75 on ebay for these. If i paid retail i would be really pissed. These shoes only gain me about 10 degrees F beyond my high top MTB shoes with warm socks.

Anything below 20 F, and for more than an hour, and your feet will start to get cold. Too bad, cuz they had the right idea here, they simply just got it wrong.

Find a warm winter boot and put a freaking cleat on it. Don't design a cycling cut shoe and try to add enough insulation, etc. to make it warm. It didn't work!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2006

Strengths:    Warmer than regular MTB shoes and fairly water resistant.

Weaknesses:    Difficult/time consuming to put on, laces stick to the velcro...Need a bit of prep before using to completely seal out the water.

Bottom Line:
    These work pretty well - but I had to do a little work on them right out of the box. First of all, if you are riding in any kind of deep snow or wet conditions, you need to seal the cleat area with silicone or something similar - I didn't at first, and my socks got drenched on a particularly snowy ride into work when I had to do a lot of walking (snow too deep to ride through). I have the 2005 models, and I really wished I had the 2006s, because of the switch to the boa lacing system. The 2005 model laces always get attached to the various velcro surfaces - and it can take some time to get them put on and fastened up. As for warmth - they are ok. Make sure you have some wiggle room for your toes. I wore mine with two pairs of socks at first and my feet always got cold - recently I've switched to a single layer sock and it's better. I ordered size 43, I usually would wear a 41-ish size shoe.

Favorite Trail:   the commute to work

Purchased At:   LickBike

Similar Products Used:   Regular hiking boots, various MTB shoes with booties/etc

Bike Setup:   Various MTB's

Submitted by milwaukeehaze a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2005

Strengths:    This review is actually for the Lake MXZ301 which is the next generation of their Winter MTB shoe. These shoes seem to be very high quality and they are warm and very comfortable. I especially like the quick and easy "BOA lacing system" plus the full coverage with velcro attachments. They even included NikWax in the box to put a water resistant treatment on the leather outer. They are a cool, clean-looking shoe (actually boot) since they don't have the velcro straps like they used to have.

Weaknesses:    None yet other than since they are made of leather, they stretch a bit and need the lacing tightened while riding. I assume this will eventually not be an issue once they are fully broken in.

Bottom Line:
    So far after using these for a month, they seem to work great for getting out in the cold for some Winter riding. I like the new look and lacing of these. The coldest ride to date has been around 20 degrees Farenheit, about 1 1/2 hours long, and my toes were only a bit chilled, but not enough to keep me from riding. I wore a light thin wicking sock with a Smartwool sock over that. Next time I may try a thicker wool sock on the outside since I had the room. On that note, I wear a 9 1/2 - 10 shoe normally, so I ordered a 45 EU, which equates to a size 11. Plenty of room, but not too much.

I read some reviews that stated these aren't warm enough, but I disagree. If you plan on riding in temps in the single digits or lower, there is not going to be any product that will keep those toes warm for very long. However, thanks to modern technology, I would suggest the Grabber Mycoal Foot Warmers. Check them out here: http://www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemid=FW10&pkey=Products%7cWarmers%7cFoot+Warmers+(10+pairs)&pval=0%7c1%7cFW10&pIds=Showcase%7cCategoryID%7citemid However, they are quite warm, so you may not need double socks, but hot/sweaty feet sure beats the alternative.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend the Lake MXZ301 shoes as they are well made, comfortable and warm. Don't let old man Winter keep you from riding!!

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Airbomb.com

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Izumi Typhoon Booties

Bike Setup:   '04 Giant NRS Composite 2

Submitted by Bill Brown a Weekend Warrior from Sioux City,Ia USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2005

Strengths:    well construted AND LOOK TRICK

Weaknesses:    narrow toe ,, time consuming to put on

Bottom Line:
    After several winters of using booties and handwarmers between the shoe and the booties (over the toes) I decided ,to drop the money and get a winter shoe.
    The maiden voyage was last night it was 13 degrees. I ordered 1 1/2 sizes larger than normal to accomidate extra socks, the shoe was still to narrow. A little over 10 miles into the ride I had to stop at a quikmart to thaw out, MY TOES WERE FROZEN!!!. Tonight when I ride I will try a different sock configuration, but I am extremely dissapointed, they are no warmer than the shoe and bootie combo, plus if you use hand warmers you feel no cold even in below zero temps.With regular shoes, remove the sole liner in the bottom so you can add an extra layer of socks

Favorite Trail:   Street

Purchased At:   lickbike

Similar Products Used:   regular shoes w/neoprene booties

Bike Setup:   I ride mtb in winter, get the work out but reduces windchill

Submitted by JH a Cross Country Rider from cape cod, ma

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2005

Strengths:    warm. comfy. high quality. rides nicely.

Weaknesses:    expensive

Bottom Line:
    It gets cold here. my feet were my limiting factor. i got tired of numb toes and trying all the different cheapo solutions.
    I finally sucked it up and went and dropped the cash at the bike shop for these. should have done it from the start. I wear them commuting and everything. my feet never ever get cold anymore and they ride almost like my sidi dominators.

Favorite Trail:   otis

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   goretex socks (suck). neoprene overbooties (suck). bigger shoes with wool socks (suck).

Bike Setup:   SS ti.

Submitted by kj from Brevard,NC

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2005

Strengths:    well made, warm, water proof(to a point)

Weaknesses:    hardly any after two years+ there is one small area where the sole is coming away from upper (a little glue will fix it) not for above 45 degrees (not a weekness just a marker)

Bottom Line:
    purchased in Sept of 02 and was lucky to find on e-bay at $89+shipping. Two of my riding buds were informed and they jumped on the bad wagon also so this is a review really from the three of us. BUY THESE SHOES! You won't be disappointed I wear Sidi size 43 road and went with the Lake 44 and wear one Smartwool and sometimes a road sock with it the fit is good you don't want it too tight or you feet will have no room to "breath". The Lake has adjustments up the A** so you can even go with two Smartwools if you so desire my buddy took out the laces but I like the extra support. Stream crossings are a no brainer as long as you don't submerge past the neoprene. We have ridden in all conditions 20 degrees with wind chill at 0 was about max for me, feet were cold but not numb. We have very wet mucky conditions in western NC, so I condition the shoes twice a season and also apply a coating of Nikwax the shoes look practically new after treatment. They get a lot of use three rides a week in winter.
    They have been the absolute best cold weather clothing item I have ever purchased and I've been riding over thirty years. I've just decided to buy the road version CXZ300 and will report on it in the future.

Favorite Trail:   any pisgah forest

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   booties

Bike Setup:   doesn't matter, a Turner if you are curious

Submitted by gregg a Racer from MPLS, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2005

Strengths:    Construction, heel strap, insulation

Weaknesses:    width, not for wide feet

Bottom Line:
    INFO ABOUT FIT: I have 9.5 D width feet. I use 43.5 Sidi Dominators (reg width) summer & winter+woolsock+bootie. I ordered a 44 and a 45 Lake MXZ300 from Licktons. The 44 was too narrow across the ball off my foot (it hurt). The 44 length was perfect. I kept the 45, returned the 44. It was perfect width. My foot is 1/2+ inch too short for the 45. The rear heal strap tightens the foot fwd into the toe box to help the length issue. I use one merino wool sock. I do not use the string lacing, just the velcro straps.
    Bottom line, I had to use a 1-1/2 larger shoe size with a big compromise in lentgh to get the width to fit correctly. I ride winter in MN off road thru trails just for exersize, so comfort (warm) feet are a priority over fit and efficiency.
    I tried on a pair on Sidi wtr shoes (44) but they seemed too light and racy for my needs. I was concerned about a lack of warmth from the Sidi's.

INFO ON PERFORMANCE:
    I've ridden for 1 month on these Lake wtr shoes in 15-40F. I consider the warmth to be similar to my summer shoes with neoprene booties. There fine for me. This a.m.'s 16 mile commute was 15F with below 0F windchill. My left toes got chilled, but warmed up during the hike-a-bike section. No issues. I have not used them in wet conditions yet. Booties pack with show and make clipping in very difficult. Winter specific shoes do not have this problem, and that's why a bought these Lake's.

I write this article because the previous commenters were very helpful in my purchase decision. I hope to help someone else in return.

Purchased At:   licktons

Similar Products Used:   5 winters of regular bike shoe with neoprene bootie

Bike Setup:   XC racer, Time ATAC pedals

Submitted by Roy Gardiner a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2004

Strengths:    Well made and warm.

Weaknesses:    A little tight in the toe box area.

Bottom Line:
    After almost three months of use the Lake MXZ 300's have been great, both, warm and comfortable. However, as others have mentioned they are a bit tight (narrow and shallow) in the toe box area. I even bought them a size (43) larger than my Specialized Comp's (42) and still found them a bit tight in the toe box. This was relatively easy to fix though.

To increase the toe box area, I put the insoles from both shoes into one shoe and stretched the toe box with my wife’s wooden shoe stretcher. This increased both the width and height of the toe box. I left the stretcher in the shoe over night then repeated with the other shoe. They now have plenty of room in the toe box. Any shoe repair place could do this also and it shouldn’t be too costly.

I tried stretching them with only one insole and it did increase the width, however, I found that they were still a bit tight over-top the toes.

I never use more than one pair of Wigwam wool socks. Below -5 degrees C, I add chemical toe warmers and have ridden in -27 degrees C for 2.5 hours with no problems. My feet and toes were warm the whole ride.

I know that others have recommended getting them still one size larger and using two pairs of socks. I tried a pair of 44’s and I found that the shoe didn’t fit as well and it was still tight over-top my toes. From my many years experience in the mountains and extreme cold I have found that the key to warm feet and toes is maintaining circulation and keeping the feet dry. In most instances, the benefits of two pairs of socks are mitigated by the tighter lacing required to keep the feet from moving around inside the shoe, hence restricting circulation. Therefore, thin socks and properly fit footwear are warmer. For example, I go barefoot in my ski boots, in all temperatures, and never have cold feet. The boots are fit properly and the buckles over the arch are simply closed to keep the snow out, not to restrict the foot’s movement. I should also mention that my feet are very susceptible to the cold after numerous bouts of frostbite (experienced prior to employing the above).

All and all, a great winter shoe for the $.

Favorite Trail:   Any technical single track!

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   Neoprene socks and booties with regular riding shoes.

Bike Setup:   HH100X,

Submitted by Dr.T a Weekend Warrior from Boston MA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Strengths:    Good construction of upper, good in snow, water resistant, nice down to 20s, durable.

Weaknesses:    For the money I would like something warmer. I bought the shoe a couple sizes up, I use good quality socks, and I often install chemical warmers, and my feet still get cold on windy days below 20 degrees. Not much warmer than another $50 pair of shoes that I wear with thick socks and neoprene booties. Hard to get into, tight toe box relative to the rest of shoe.

Bottom Line:
    I'd like a reliable set-up for temperatures down to 0. If we can send men to the moon we should be able to design shoes to meet this basic requirement. Lake hasn't, and they have the gall to charge $200 for a shoe with real weaknesses. I'm still looking for a good winter shoe.

Similar Products Used:   the aforementioned Trek shoes with booties. Of course the problem with neoprene booties on trail rides is that they get beat up pretty quickly.

Submitted by Jeff from Omaha, NE. 68138

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2004

Strengths:    Rugged and warm. Cost was very reasonable for what you get. What you get is the ability to ride in almost any weather condition, for several years I'm sure.

Weaknesses:    None I can see.

Bottom Line:
    I wish I would have bought these years ago. Killer shoes. Your feet feel like they're surrounded by warm little pillows. comfy, and warm. Buy these, and you won't have an excuse not to ride in the cold anymore. I tried lots of different combinations of socks, shoes, etc. These shoes solved all my cold feet problems. Buy them one full size larger than you normally wear, and you should be good. Width is normal, not to narrow as some have suggested. Not to wide, just normal, period.

Similar Products Used:   Several typses of normal mtb shoes, oversized so I can get two pairs of wool socks in 'em. Never did work great.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Rockville

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2004

Strengths:    Really warm, unlike any other cycling shoe. When its icy cold and you still want to ride, you will love these toasters. Comfortable (riding and walking), stiff enough, quality construction, thoughtful design, waterproof.

Weaknesses:    Heavy - but if it weren't for these gems, I wouldn't be riding in the cold. You'd find me sitting by the fire in my slippers (light alright, but not getting me off my a$$ to ride).

Bottom Line:
    You want a warm, dry, comfortable winter shoe, buy these. They are in a class of their own. Expensive, but fine quality, and it appears I will get many years of service out of them. Lickton's had a good deal on these when I ordered, so value rating is good.

Purchased At:   Licktons

Similar Products Used:   Carnacs, Nikes

Bike Setup:   Easton ultralight hardtail, XT, Fox F80RLT fork (sweet), frogs.

Submitted by Pablo a Weekend Warrior from Sandpoint, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2004

Strengths:    Water resistant, insulated, high top, spd compatible

Weaknesses:    Too narrow!

Bottom Line:
    The shoes are a great idea. I bought a pair for my wife, she loves 'em. They are too narrow in the toe box for me. Lake's reputation, by hearsay, was that they were a shoe for people with wide feet (like me). They are narrower than Carnac and Sidi. Sidi's Mega sizing works good on me in the warmer weather, but they don't make the cold weather shoe in the Mega style. If they did I would buy it. I can't understand why no shoe manufacturer is not making a Goretex, inuslated, Outlast, wide toe box (EE or EEEE) shoe for people who ride in the winter. There are thousands of us out here. Help!!!

Purchased At:   Alpine Designs