Home | Reviews | Shoes | Lake

Lake MX235C Shoes

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Lake MX235C MTB Race Shoe: A lightweight mtb race shoe with a 100% carbon sole...

Submitted by Jesse Smith a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Strengths:    fit, sole stiffness, sole grip

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I bought these in the wide version hoping for a shoe that wasn't just wide in the forefoot, but also with a roomy toe box. These turned out to be exactly that. I only use these for commuting. I wanted a commuter shoe with a stiff sole, and these had that also. The soft lugs are fine for walking on hard surfaces. I have taken care to not be rough in the buckle, and it has given me no problems. I had heard of some problems with the sole separating, but they're holding up perfectly. I've been car-free for 15 years, and I'll probably be car free for the rest of my life, so I bought a second pair, as a backup, figuring I had a hard enough time finding a shoe that fit, that didn't cost $200.

Purchased At:   Lake website

Similar Products Used:   Carnac, Sidi

Bike Setup:   '98 Fuji Touring bike used as a 5-day a week commuter. Time ATAC pedals

Submitted by bongo a Racer from wenatchee, washington, usa

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2009

Strengths:    Use to be a good shoe company

Weaknesses:    fit, these shoes stretched and buckle mechanism stopped working properly almost immediately.

Bottom Line:
I bought these shoes to replace an older pair of Lake shoes that had seen their day. I need a wide shoe and had very good experience with Lake shoes. The left foot stretched until the buckle was bottoming out. I had to use a screw driver to pry the shoe off my foot. Contacted Lake and they said the buckle and strap were not up to their specifications and they would send me the upgrade no cost. The upgrade was a buckle that obviously was designed for another shoe and was not integrated inot the shoe....it sticks out like a sore thumb. Contacted Lake and told them I did not want to spend $200 on their mistake. The sales person assured me he wanted to make it right. Right in this case was ignoring me, not responding to e-mails on numerous attempts. I can see why they no longer are distributed by Quality Bikes, this company is no longer reputible. Beware!!!

Favorite Trail:   old twisty the majors trail

Purchased At:   beyond bikes