Home | Reviews | Shoes | Lake

4.19/5 (53 Reviews)

Lake MX200 Shoes

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff, Super comfortable, Look good, Plenty of tread.

Bottom Line:
I bought these in 2000 on closeout from Printpoint. I dont remember the price I paid, but it was really cheap as I was in my freshman year in college. I have put on around 8,000 miles of abusive singletrack riding and another 10,000 miles of use when I bike to work everyday. They fit amazing out of the box and they still fit great. After so much abuse, they look really really beat up now. So much so that I get picked on by some of the guys I ride with. But they still work just as good as the day I bought them. I just recently caved in and bought a pair of new shoes that fit almost as good.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Sidi, shimano

Submitted by Sampson a Cross Country Rider from State College, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Strengths:    These shoes look cool, have good treads on the the bottom, and my feet stay cool for most of the ride.

Weaknesses:    Durability
Stupid Design

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that these shoes look cool, they feel good, but they cannot take a beating at all. I bought these shoes in last May and already they are coming apart. In the back of the shoe, I had to glue the sole back onto the shoe. The rubber toe pad in the front of the shoe is has pretty much completely came off of the shoe as well. There is a molded heel cup so that your feet are secured to the back of the shoe for the whole ride. The problem with this is that every time my right heel bumps my crank, the outer ring rips a huge chunk out of the plastic heel pad. You see, they designed the heel pad with some vents on it, and they are right in the spot that hits the chain ring.

I have always read the reviews on this website, but this is the first time that I have ever written anything. There are so many people who write false reviews that it is difficult to tell what is actually good and bad. I wish that I had read all of the reviews for this shoe before I purchased it. I cant believe that I have done more damage to this shoe in three months, than I did with my old school shimano shoes in about six years.

I give these shoes three flamin chilis for the value because they were pretty cheap when I bought them. For the overall rating I give them a two because these shoes fall apart so easily.

If I had to recommend these shoes to anyone, it would be to someone who does not ride really challenging trails. I am sure that if you just ride fire roads, you will be ok. If you are a person who likes to ride XC but every now and then throw in a steep descent on a rutted trail with huge roots, dont waste your money on these shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Asbury Woods / Browns Farm

Purchased At:   Borman Fahrader, Freising Germany

Similar Products Used:   Old School Shimano Shoes

Bike Setup:   Frame: Exotec Comp 1, Ritchey Logic SPD pedals, full 1999 XTR component group, IRC mythos xc, Mavic CrossMax ceramic

Submitted by David a Racer from Calogary

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Strengths:    Durability!!! I bought these shoes in the spring of 98 This will be my 5th year of racing and riding. Outlasted 3 bikes

Weaknesses:    Rubber soles I had to reglue part of the sole after one year of riding.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden with these shoes in 3 "Test of metal" races and in 3 "24 Hrs of adrenaline" including the infamous snow storm at silverstar in 2000.
I have ridden in -30 weather in Calgary with these and they are still going strong. I will buy a new pair this only because the sole is pretty much worn out but the shoe itself is still as stiff as the day I have bought it.

Favorite Trail:   powderface

Purchased At:   Bow Cycle

Similar Products Used:   None First pair of riding shoes

Bike Setup:   03 Heckler,Kona mokomoko,Maarin team Issue

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Virginia

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2002

Strengths:    Great Fit.

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
Destroyed the shoe at the 24hrs of snowshoe this year but that race was a muddy slogfest(great course Laird). I can't imagine any shoe really taking that abuse. Up until that they had been the best shoe I have owned. Really good fit for my foot shape (medium width).

Similar Products Used:   answer, shimano, specialized

Submitted by Andreas a Cross Country Rider from Innsbruck/Austria

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2001

Strengths:    great fit, comfortable, beautiful design

Weaknesses:    none found yet

Bottom Line:
best shoe ever had!

Purchased At:   Radstudio

Submitted by Matt N. a Cross Country Rider from Flemington, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2001

Strengths:    Comfy, durable, good looks, decent hiking tread, good breathability

Weaknesses:    None, other than the fact that the toe box could use some reinforcement to protect it from rocks.

Bottom Line:
For years now I've used Spuds on both my road and off-road bike (lets just say I was sick and tired of climbing stairs on slippery road shoes with even slippier Look cleats bolted to 'em).
I bought the Lakes because they shared the same sole design with my trusty, but stinky old Shimano M200s. I have _super_ narrow feet, and compensate with a custom orthotic insole, but still hadn't been able to fit into Specializeds, Carnacs or Northwaves.
On my first couple of rides I found myself constantly checking the straps to see if the shoe was on tight enough -- I couldn't believe that a shoe could fit this snugly and still be so posh! Five years later I'm still believin' it!
I quickly also found out that the mesh on the Lakes breathed far better than my shimanos (i.e. dried better and stank less) - making the Lake the superior summer shoe, whereas the Shimanos kept my feet drier in foul weather use.
After 5 years of hard use, the monster rocks here in NW NJ have finally all but devoured the leather forefoot portions of the shoe, so I am in the market for something with plastic or kevlar reinforcement up front -- most likely the Lake MX 300. THe shimano soles on my Lakes are also pretty chewed up, but after all I've put these shoes through I say hats off to Lake for making such a quality product!
The bottom line: If all my gear were as reliable, durable and cost-effective as these shoes, I'd be a happy man.
5 habaneros right across the board!

Favorite Trail:   Tequepis, Santa Barbara

Purchased At:   Velo Sport

Similar Products Used:   Performance, Sidi, and my old, trusty Shimano M200s!

Bike Setup:   Relevant componentry: Race Face cranks with Ritchey V2 and Dura Ace with V2 pedals. Have also run these shoes with SPD 747 and 535s with no problems.

Submitted by Mark from Toronto

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2001

Strengths:    Great fitting, comfort, style...

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I have a hard time finding shoes that are comfy, and these felt like I was wearing slippers (they still feel like this). I love the way that they breathe, they're easy to take off (not that I really want to...) and put on. The only real downside is the time it takes for them to dry. I had a race in Bethany in April, and there was still ice and snow, but it was melting. I had to go through water to complete the course, and the shoes took several hours to dry in the sun (although it was cold out). This being just a minor thing, and the fact that they fit like gloves, 5 flamin' Chilis and kudos to LAKE for a magnificent pair of shoes. I'd definitely pay full price for these, since I got them at 50% off ;).

Happy Riding!

Favorite Trail:   Bethany

Purchased At:   Bay Cycle

Similar Products Used:   none, these were my first pair of bike shoes

Bike Setup:   ATAC time pedals (not much else really matters)

Submitted by Ryan Coleman a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Strengths:    Great styling, awesome fit. World of difference from past shoes I've had. You'd almost want to walk in them (almost..)

Weaknesses:    My first pair of LAke MX200's lasted a grand total of 7 days before the left heel of the sole cracked and fell off following the fourth ride I had taken on them. As I saw in a few other reviews the LBS was surprised and had never gotten a pair of Lakes back to that date - especially with the odd position of the damage. My shoe almost appeared as if there was no glue under that portion of the sole. They gave me a new pair on the spot and am willing to give the shoes a second chance. It sounds like the factory had a bad week given that the only bad thing everyone has to say so far is the fast cracking sole.

Bottom Line:
Worth a go - The few rides I got in I loved the shoes and I'm sure the sole problem is an isolated manufacturing flaw. Replacement was no questions asked (it was only 8 days though).

I think this shoe is a great for just about anyone - it's price point makes it affordable for the beginner but the performance is there for competitive riders. A good buy all around.

Favorite Trail:   "The Goat" (Don Valley, Toronto)

Purchased At:   Cycle Solutions (Kingston Rd. location)

Similar Products Used:   none (I wouldn't even put my last shoes in this category)

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mtn. "Hammer Race", Judy SL, XT rear, LX front, Race Face Forged, Ritchey Logic clips

Submitted by Adam S a Cross Country Rider from Wpg, MB

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2001

Strengths:    These shoes are durable and are great for cross country racing. They are breathable and arn't hard on the eyes either.

Weaknesses:    I can't find any in these shoes so far.

Bottom Line:
These are awesome shoes, and are perfect for any kind of riding you want to do. These are my second pair of SPD compatable shoes. I think these shoes are awesome and I recommend them to anyone serious about mountain biking.

Favorite Trail:   Any single track.

Similar Products Used:   Sidi, Carnac, Specialized, Axo, other Lakes, and Northwave.

Bike Setup:   1999 GT Palomar, Rock Shox Jett XC, WTB Velociraptors, Giro Gila Helmet, Wellgo Clipless Pedals, Shimano Drive train, Oury Grips, Axo gloves, etc.

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider from Lichfield Staffs England

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2001

Strengths:    EVERTHING

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I`ve had these shoes now for over 3 yrs and they`re still going strong. They are really comfy on long rides & seem faily warm in the winter months. The colour scheme is quite conservative which I also like. I would recommend these shoes to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Cannock Chase

Similar Products Used:   LAKE ROAD SHOES WHICH ARE ALSO EXELLENT

Bike Setup:   ROCK LOBSTER ALU FRAME XT GROUP, MAVIC RIMS, TITEC

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2001

Strengths:    Pretty Stiff Sole, Fits real well, lace under straps is a plus (I believe this is why they fit so well), Gnarly tread on bottom, Mud Studs (cleats in the front) are great for getting stuck on a muddy clay climb.

Weaknesses:    None so far, according to other people below me the gnarly tread is going to come loose, If so that kinda sucks, good thing I only paid $60 for them.

Bottom Line:
I think they are well designed shoes from a functionality standpoint. I havent had any signs of premature wear yet so I cant knock them for that. I will post again if they fall apart.

Until then they get 3 chilis for value because unless you get them on sale like I did your paying too much.

Overall rating will have to be a 4 because they work real well and are not falling apart on me yet (knocks on some wood)

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mtn Area

Similar Products Used:   Various Shimano shoes

Bike Setup:   Only part that matters for this review is Time Pedals

Submitted by Paul Howell a Cross Country Rider from Gardnerville

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2000

Strengths:    Good fit, comfortable, dries quickly, stiff sole

Weaknesses:    durability company support/customer service

Bottom Line:
Shoes fit well and performed well, but the durability is absolute doo doo. The rubber sole began seperating after one year. I have tried to contact Lake several times, but as mentioned in previous reviews, once they have your money, forget you. I won't buy again, Lake, KISS MY ASP

Favorite Trail:   anywhereusa

Similar Products Used:   Sidi, Nike

Bike Setup:   ritchey logic pedals

Submitted by Mark Harro a Weekend Warrior from soldotna ak usa

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2000

Strengths:    the hard soles are great for kicking small to moderetly sized dogs! comfortable, good tred, i like the overstrap, secure

Weaknesses:    Colors suck, the rubber sole is lame! It's falling apart from the upper sole. and some parts on the outside of the shoe are comming apart at the seams. after only one year they are falling apart. I'm pissed at them. Next year I will get real biking shoes!

Bottom Line:
they suck-pissed, just toss 'em,feet freeze in the winter

Favorite Trail:   Resurrection pass