Home | Reviews | Shoes | Lake

3.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Lake MX176

Submitted by Travis Bickle a Cross Country Rider from Halifax

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Strengths:    Look good, stiff,

Weaknesses:    durabilty

Bottom Line:
I like these shoes but I had to use shoe goo shortly after I bought them and had to get them stiched up a few months later. The neoprene fell apart at the left heel and the right heel cup stitches ripped on a recent trip over the bars.

Favorite Trail:   Brandon Hills MB

Purchased At:   Forget

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Diadora

Bike Setup:   Loco Moto, Stiffee

Submitted by Marc Meglio a Cross Country Rider from Guilford, CT USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Neoprene colar keeps feet clean; leather/canvas construction weaters well.

Weaknesses:    Rubber sole falls off in large chunks Cleats broke off after first use.

Bottom Line:
Pretty good shoe; sole won't hold up in theose rough hike and bike sections; I'm not sure I'd purchase them again.

Favorite Trail:   They're all good fun!

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Airwalks, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR

Submitted by Berkeley Mike a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2001

Strengths:    Great looks, comfortable, clean-up well, mulitiple cleat lengths. New full cover toe cap a great improvement.

Weaknesses:    toe cap seal didn't cover the entire front of the sole. Scree collar a bit flimsey & tended to shread.

Bottom Line:
Loved these shoes; they did everything right. The scree collar tended to shred in 2000 miles of use but I have no problem with that. The cleat chassis in the midsole spun out where the toe cap didn't cover after 11 months. My LBS sent them back. I got a new pair, with the improved toe cap, in one week. No charge; not even shipping. Hard to argue with that.

Favorite Trail:   single tingle

Purchased At:   Solano Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   shimano, scott

Bike Setup:   Bonti Racelite XT, Marz Atom, Mavic, Chris King, 858, yatta yatta.

Submitted by Blair a Cross-Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1999

Strengths:
Good Power Transfer and they fit my huge orthodics

Weaknesses:
Rubber likes to abandon shoes

Bottom Line:
The sole would fall off in chunks while hiking rocky sections. Although warrenty appears to be good. My replacements will take a week to arrive.

Kananaskis Area

3 months

Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race, Z4 fork, Ritchey Pedals, , Kona DH bar, and Fi:zik Saddle

Submitted by Erick a Cross-Country Rider from Keweenaw Peninsula

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1999

Strengths:
neoprene collar,
extra spikes & wrench,
stiff sole, comfortable

Weaknesses:
Deep lugs clog with mud, hard to clip in

Bottom Line:
The neoprene collar works excellent for keeping mud, dust, little rocks, etc. from going into the shoe. I know that my socks will be cleaner. The sole is adequate in stiffness for power transfer. I am a little disappointed in their ability to clog up with mud. I have (like the others here) have noticed the heel slip while walking and pedaling. Overall, they are okay.

My back yard

less than 1 month

c-soles, answer acceleraters

Trek 990 Manitou SX TPC
Steel is still the best!

Submitted by GERGLE a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Ab

Date Reviewed: May 18, 1999

Strengths:
3/4 cut is great, especially with the neoprene liner. Very stiff sole provides great power when pedalling.Sharp looks and I really like the thick lace and wide strap setup.

Weaknesses:
Deep soles made me have to learn how to clip in all over again. Some heel lift when walking, but the angled toe makes it easier on your shins.

Bottom Line:
Just getting them broken in so I'll report back, but I really like them so far. I'm not a racer and I was looking for a shoe that would suit an all-round utility need. And DAMN if they don't look good!

THE ONE THAT LEADS AWAY FROM MY DOOR

less than 1 month

Rocky Mountain Altitude T.O. with a '96 judy SL/speedsprings

Submitted by Robb a Weekend Warrior from Upper St. Clair, PA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 1999

Strengths:
super stiff sole, neoprene collar keeps crud out, 2 sets of spikes come with shoes

Weaknesses:
heel slips when walking, super stiff sole

Bottom Line:
Comfortable, good fit and look good. Neoprene scree collar keeps trail debris out of your shoes. Stiff sole is great when pedaling but contributes to heel slipping problems when hoofing it (cut me a break, I'm getting old). Shoe appears to be well made but time will tell. Shoes come with 2 sets of spikes (different lengths) and a spike wrench. Haven't worn them in cold weather so I can't comment on their warmth/wind chill protection. Have yet to see these on another rider's feet. Other than the novelty of having new sneakers, I can't really say that these shoes are any better than my Diadoras (which in all fairness to the Lakes, are superb shoes). Guess a 4 star rating is fair for now until I've gotten a little more time in these shoes.

the one I'm on

3 months

Shimano, Diadora Poblano (great shoe)

99 Element Race-stock except Bontrager Crow Bars, 747's and Oury grips

Submitted by Super Chunk a Cross-Country Rider from Sterling, VA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 1999

Strengths:
3/4 height, neoprene liner, and aggressive sole.

Weaknesses:
Toe spikes broke off after one epic ride involving rocky hike-a-bke sections.

Bottom Line:
The shoes look great and work great for normal riding. The toe spikes breaking off disturbs me a bit. They are being warrentied so we'll se what happens next time.

Elizabeth Furnace